“wonderful hotel”

Ranked #39 of 342 Hotels in Budapest
Brighton, United Kingdom
“wonderful hotel”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Just got back from our Wonderful time in Budapest. This hotel is superb, we are quite fussy, Hotel spotless, Staff are very helpful, and professional and nothing was to much trouble.
Would recommend and return.

2 Thank marion o
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

I thank you very much for your recent post on your stay with Continental Hotel Budapest. Your review is short but very suggestive, I appreciate it very much.

I am happy to read that you recommend our hotel and plan to visit it again.

Kindest regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (476)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 7, 2013

After reviewing a few comments on tripadvisor about this hotel being in a "not-so-great" location, I still decided to book as it looked absolutely amazing. Zero regrets. Truth be told, I don't think this hotel is in a bad location at all. It's centrally located and is in easy walking distance to all sights in Budapest. If walking isn't your thing (I prefer to walk around new cities, get lost and discover great finds) a subway is only a few blocks away.

In addition to being in a great location, the decor of the hotel is stunning. Amazing lobby area. Impeccable rooms. Super clean in all areas of the hotel. Let me not forget to mention that hotel staff - insanely helpful (they helped sort out transportation to and from the airport) and extremely friendly.

One final comment. I also noticed a lot of people griped about there only being 2 English speaking channels on the TV. This is indeed true, however, you're on vacation. You shouldn't be watching TV at all. Go out and enjoy the beautiful city that is Budapest.

Would I stay at the Continental Hotel Zara again?! Absolutely and without any hesitation. Looking forward to seeing you again very soon, Budapest.

2 Thank Richard K
Dear Valued Guest,

Many thanks for your brilliant feedback and photos! It sounds much more authentic from your review that the neighbourhood is rather a bonus than a handycap.I agree, being abroad the TV has less importance, may be the news are the only lacks, but we offer such channels.
I was happy to read that you liked the decor of the hotel and was satisfied with the service my colleagues provided.

I hope we can accommodate you again shortly.

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2013

This was our first trip to Budapest, and staying at the Continental Zara was just superb. We were a party of six celebrating two sixtieth birthdays.po
We had a 5 night stay, the staff could not do more for us from organising our trips on the open top bus, a river cruise with evening meal, and booking our Restaurant meals.
We ate twice in the hotel restaurant and the service and food was excellent. One evening we enjoyed music from a girl duo. The bar on the second floor was a great place to enjoy a drink after eating out.
The hotel has a roof top swimming pool and sun bathing area along with a sauna and jacuzzi .
The decor of the hotel is very classy.
I would recommend this wonderful hotel to anyone

1 Thank Kroy53
Dear Valued Guest,

It is so good to read that your party of six people for a 5 nights stay enjoyed our Continental Hotel Budapest. Celebrating birthdays mean always high expectations, and I am happy to read that we did not fail neither in the service from the front desk nor in our ARAZ Restaurant or in our Spa.
I appreciate it very much that you took the time and efforts to share your experiences with the readers.

Special thanks for recommending our hotel .

KIndest regards,
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed September 7, 2013

The hotel neighborhood is not so nice, still you're at walking disctance from the centre of the city.
The Zara Continental hotel is very nice, good reception service and excellent buffet. The spa area is great. You should try the hotel restaurant - great steak with liver - and ask the waiter to let you taste his selection of Villany wines.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Rudy V
Dear Valued Guest,

Many thanks for your feedback. It's a pity that you did not like the neighbourhood. It is a question of taste or mood, fortunately more and more people explore the uniqueness and the special atmosphere of the disctrict. I was shappy to read that you were satisfied with our ARAZ Restaurant and liked the famous Villany wines too.

Thanks for your high scores and best regards,
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We arrived at the hotel to be told our booking had been cancelled (by cleverhotels.com) We had spoken to the hotel prior but at that time the booking was not cancelled. Cleverhotels.com cancelled two hours after our telephone call to the hotel. We were in a sticky spot and the staff at the Zara were more than helpful, gave us a good deal on rebooking a hotel room which we took up, and I'm really pleased we did. This is a fantastic hotel. Room service food was divine (perfect for lone travellers or arriving late.)
The location of the hotel is really good for getting around the city (we walked everywhere from there).
We couldn't have asked for more from the hotel staff, who were polite, chatty, accommodating and did a brilliant job of making us feel welcome.
If I went to Budapest again I would definitely stay at the Zara. Breakfast was my only small issue (very expensive) but there are lots of great places around the Zara to have breakfast anyway
Spa treatments are extremely cheap compared to UK prices for similar treatments and are very flexible in fitting your needs into their schedule
Pool area is lovely in the sunshine. Paying extra for use of these facilities would be a great benefit for any guest, the gym is generally well equipped (probably the best hotel gym I've been in).
A great hotel and we're really glad we stayed there!!

Room Tip: If you want tea or coffee in your room then get the more expensive room. Although tea and coffee at...
1 Thank Adam B
Dear Valued Guest,

I was very sorry to hear that you had tp pay again your hotel biil due to the bankruptcy of Cleverhotels. This is the reason why my colleagues tried to make your stay as pleasant as possible despite of this starting incident. I am happy to read that we succeeded in this process and you had a great time with us. The extra breakfast price is in line with the prices of the competitors and I hope even the quality. We do provide tea and coffee making facilities even in the standard rooms on request.
We do receive compliments on our fitness rooms occasionaly but yours was especially very kind.

Thanks for your review and for the high scores. Kindest regards,
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We have just returned from a very enjoyable holiday to Budapest where we were attending my brother's wedding. We found the Zara hotel well laid out, sleek, stylish and spotlessly clean. The staff very professional and friendly, polite and helpful. We stayed in an Executive room on the 6th floor and found it spacious even with the travel cot (provided by the hotel) set up. It was also very quiet and we didn't hear a squeak from the rooms either side of us.

Prior to our stay we had requested a bath in our room as we have a 2 year old son who is frightened of showers and the manager arranged for us to have a bathroom which contained a bath with a shower over it and a separate shower which was brilliant - my husband could shower whilst I was bathing our son for example. The bed mattress was huge, I imagine it was a Queen size, pleasantly firm and we enjoyed the separate duvets! The buffet breakfast is simply amazing......every kind of breakfast food you could imagine - there was a large selection of hot buffet foods, cold buffet foods, pancakes with maple syrup, freshly cut pineapple and melon chunks, fruit bowls of bananas, apples, oranges etc, fresh bread, pastries, yogurts and fruit juices and it's all freshly made and the breakfast room so well staffed that they would know as soon as something was running low and it would be refilled immediately. Travelling abroad with a young toddler isn't easy at times, especially when it comes to feeding - but we found our son loved the porridge and the staff were very kind in letting us take a roll/pancake/fruit - whatever he hadn't finished at breakfast time with us for him to eat later in the day. There was a very amiable lady who ticks your name off the breakfast list bent down to have a little conversation with our son before giving him a balloon on a stick, to his delight. We mostly ate out for lunches and dinners as we were sightseeing and exploring but the special wine tasting dinner that we had one evening in the hotel restaurant was superb. There were several courses and the steak course cooked perfectly and an intricately assembled deliciously rich chocolate trio of desserts to finish.

The indoor pool was lovely and warm and we regularly found that our party (which consisted of my parents, my brother and my sister-in-law, two sets of Aunties and Uncles, a cousin and a close friend of our family) were the only people in it. We took a rubber ring for our son and we used the pool at least once a day. The roof terrace is a pleasant addition to the top floor and some of our party would sunbathe, others used the outdoor pool and at night (around 9pm) when the monuments and churches were lit up, the skyline viewed from the roof terrace was stunning.

The hotel is close to shops, public transport and there is a small park area close by (which you can find by walking down the road which the side of the hotel sits on, in the opposite direction to the main road). There is also a Spar very close to the play area.

Our stay at the Zara has been fantastic and I will be booking this hotel again when we next travel to Hungary!

Room Tip: On the 6th floor with a room that faces into one of the courtyard areas is a good option if you like...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank VPaton2
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your very precise and prositive feedback on your recent stay with us duering your brother's wedding party. I fully understand how difficult is to travle with a baby and thanks to your prior requests we could assign you the proper room with the necessary arrangements. I wa shappy to read how much you enjoyed our breakfast and its wide selection and what a memorable wine dinner you had in our restaurant.

I was preomised by the bride that you will return around Xmas. I hope you can manage it.

Llanwrda, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Hotel was very very good. Slight issue with smell in the first room, were moved to another next day. Breakfast was great, only issue was eggs and bacon were on the cold side. Fresh orange juice was fab. Evening meal was excellent. Reason for not giving 5 points was that the pool did not open until 9am (and a charge of 8 euros). Like to have a swim before breakfast. Staff were great. Location you could not wish for better. Would go back there again.

Room Tip: Standard rooms do not have tea/coffee in the room. You have to pay to use the pool.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedbacks even if it included some criticism. When we opened the spa at 7 in the morning there were no guests as per our experience, this is the reason why we open at 9 only.
Only the wholesaler rates (the most economical rates) and the group rates do not include the entry to the spa, all direct bookings yes.
I was sorry to hear that you did not find the temperature of the hot dishes hot enough. The
corrective actions are already in place to avoid any similar cases.
The tea/coffee making facilities are really not basic amenities in the standard rooms but we deliver them to the room on request basis.

I do hope that you will have the chance to return to us.

Many thanks again and best regards,