“Great location and very helpful staff”

Continental Hotel Budapest
Ranked #39 of 334 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Stayed here 31st May 2013 for 3 nights over the weekend with a group of 12 friends for a stag do. The hotel is located right next to the city centre and a lot of the shops. Straight away from arriving at the hotel, the staff were very helpful and efficient. They answered any questions we had and knew the city like the back of their hand. We ended up with many annotated maps which they provided us with, showing directions to wherever we wanted, speaking very good English.

The rooms were perfect, clean and very classy. One of our group had been given a double instead of a twin room by accident which they sorted straight away. The beds were very comfortable and the room had a safe which we used. The rooms were cleaned and towels were changed and replaced every day. The shower was impressive too.

Included in our deal was the use of the spa, which came in very handy for the mornings after a long night. It was surprisingly always empty yet was maintained very well and extremely clean once again.

One place I will recommend is Szimpla Kert bar, about a 2 minute walk from the Zara hotel. This is one of the oldest ruin bars in Budapest, complete with many bars, good food, cheap drinks, excellent service and safe security. It is by far the most interesting bar I've ever been to and all the lads loved it. Definitely recommend it to anyone.

The trip was a huge success and the hotel was loved by everyone. Although it is a very classy hotel, as long as you behave yourselves then this is perfect. I can't recommend the hotel highly enough, I will definitely be returning to the Zara when I come back to Budapest. Thanks for all the help!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Dec P
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

Dear Guest,

many thanks for your long and detailed feedback and description on your experiences. It is always very challenging for a classy hotel (as you nicely described our hotel) to handle a stag party. We usually don't even take any if we identify it in advance. Your party however could behave properly and it was not disturbant to any other guest therefore I am very greatful.
The neighbourhood especially with the Szimpla Kert is really a big advantage for us.
You were lucky that you used the wellness area in the mornings as most of our guest visit it rather in the late afternoon.

I am very happy to hear that your trip was such nice and memorable.

Many thanks and best regards,

Reviewed June 3, 2013

The hotel entrance is beautiful and Impressive.The room was well designed but a bit smaller than expected for a superior one. the staff was very kind and Helpful.breakfast was good and rich in variety.as for the location, it's quite central,as well just few steps from the Metro Station which make it very convenient.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank TravelingManIL
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Dear Guest,

thank you for your review. Let me call your attention that we have four different types of rooms as per size. I was happy to hear that you liked the brass revolving door, the location the breakfast and nevertheless the service.

Best regards,

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Stayed here for four nights this week with a friend. Lovely new hotel- 2010- decorated entirely in beige...
Lovely, helpful staff, apart from rude old waiter one night. Room was clean and comfortable but small and no coffee/tea making facilities. Does have a safe, which was good.
We were on sixth floor, just below the pool area but the weather was rainy so we didn't use it, which was a pity.
Ate in the restaurant twice in the evening and enjoyed what we ate but were disappointed the menu stayed the same- surely missing a trick here to brighten up the eating experience, especially as a 4 star hotel.
Enjoyed our experience but one major, major problem was the smell of sewage in the room. It was nauseating and although we spoke to the front desk about it, it was there constantly. Other rooms around were ok but I felt like throwing up everytime I entered it and it woke me at night, even with the window open.
Yes, the surrounding buildings are almost all in a state of decay, but so is most of Pest. The city is emerging from some very challenging times and I look forward to seeing the improvements.
On a good note, there are plenty of taxis waiting outside the door of the hotel and at the airport arriving, go to a wee booth where they will order a taxi up and print out a note of the maximum fair- about 5500 HFT to the hotel

Room Tip: if size is an issue, upgrade from a standard room
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Rosemary L
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Dear Guest,

thank you for your review. I think there are so many misunderstandings in the review that I have to react on all. The tea and coffee making facilities are not part of the standard rooms' amenities, but we provide them on request and we advertise it all over (like in Tripadvisor responses, in the Guest Service Directory etc.). I apologize fro any rude behavior of our waiter what I find very strange and not quite understandable. I hope it was a mistunderstanding too. What teh menu selection is concerned, it does not vary day by day (except for lunch apart from the standard menu selection). We do offer a French menu card (with 6 different main courses) and Hungarian menu selection (with 5 different main courses, and the cold and hot starters, soups etc. ). I do not think the menu is the same every day, but the selection yes. I was sorry to hear the bad smell of your room what your room mate did not noticed (as per your other review). The main misunderstanding is however about the condition of the buildings in Budapest. I agree that the surrounding buildings are in bad shape, but nowadays it is on purpose for ruin bars, bohem pubs etc. It is far not valid for the rest of the city.
Despite of these misunderstandings I sincerely hope you had a pleasant stay with us what was nicely reflected in the scores.

Thanks and regards,

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Really plush hotel to be found 10mins walk from central Budapest. Area around the hotel is a little run down and eastern bloc but not too bad. A short walk can take you to good shopping & restaurant areas. The hotel is modern, lavish, stylish and I would both go back there again (if Budapest itself wasn't so s***) and recommend the hotel to others. Had a great stay and the breakfast offer was outrageously good and varied - quite why any nation would eat stew & potatoes first thing of a morning though is beyond me!?!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Darth_Smithster

Dear Guest,

I am happy to read that you were satisfied with the breakfast and was sad to hear that you did not find Budapest as superior as our hotel. I agree that the houses around look run down at first look but this is on purpose remains like that in order to look authentic for the boheme night life with ruin pubs.

Many thanks for your high scores and best regards

Reviewed May 30, 2013

This hotel will meet your needs whatever you need...a calm oasis after a day of sightseeing, a great restaurant which Hague choice, comfortable rooms, a lovely bar where you can eat if you have a late arrival, a wellness centre and gym....the list is endless...yes, it is in a quieter part of town but it less than ten minutes walk to The Synagogue and from ther I would suggest the Giraffe hop on hop off 2 day bus ticket, which covers a yellow and a red route with an audio guide and also a river trio which was very informative and helped you have a sense of where everything is.

back to the hotel, breakfast was excellent and really set you up for the day and if you need it they will arrange tours etc. or just a taxi...I can't think of a single thing I would change...excellent stay for couples, family, friends, set in the Jewish Quarter and close to 'ruin bars' for a new experience...loved it all.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

many thanks for your heartful and very positive review. I hope you had a pleasant stay with us and enjoyed not tójust the breakfast but also the surroundings.

Thanks a lot for your feedback and best regards,

Reviewed May 29, 2013

BC.Marvellous hotel combining modernity with traditional architectural features.
Breakfast & restaurant excellent; many restaurants in the locality.
Convenient transport connections.
Great, friendly and helpful staff. Too many to mention individually, but Najat and Eszter deserve special mention.

I would definately stay again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Baden C
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Dear Guest,

let me thanks you in the name of Najat and Eszter, but in the name of the entire staff that you have shared your experiences with the readers and rated our hotel with such high scores. Such review makes us all here in the Hotel very happy and I am sure it is a great help for the readers too in selecting our Hotel when staying in Budapest.

Many thanks again and best regards,

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed at this hotel in April 2013. It is a great hotel with very good food. It is clean and the architecture and design is of a very hight standard. The staff were very curteous. It is worthy of 5 stars. There is a pool on the roof which was very welcome as the temperature was nearing 30 degrees in April! We would have liked a massage on the morning that we were leaving, but treatments are not available before 2pm. I booked the hotel and all the trips from home, over the internet and everything went to plan. Brilliant. Don't bother with a car as it is impossible to park anywhere - go by underground or tram, it was a good experience. This hotel was very impressive and would definately go back here again.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 6th floor and it was lovely and quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ankh2

Dear Guest,

thanks a lot for your kind post and for your compliments on the star rating. It sounds always very nice for us if guests are rating our hotel for a 5 star hotel, although we have 4 star susperior rating only. I was especially happy that you found the staff courteous and was satisfied with the location too.

Many thanks for your high scores and best regards,