“Location service and amenities are very good!”

Continental Hotel Budapest
Ranked #40 of 334 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This hotel is situated in a perfect spot in Budapest to explore the city and nightlife!
It had all the amenities you need and more. Very relaxing welness area and decent gym.
The standard rooms can be a bit small, but overall with price we paid I can say this is a very good hotel!! Very clean and also the concierge service is very good!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Thomas_NL_Amsterdam
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2013

Dear Guest,

many thnaks for your compliments on the service, on the wellness area, on the amenities and on the location and last but not least for your summary that our hotel is a good hotel.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I shall keep this brief as it was a faultless stay.

Location is excellent - 2min walk to local metro station. The area is only 2 Metro stops from the main connecting station in the heart of Budapest.

Service - all staff were pleasant, smart and eager to help (their English also excellent).

Rooms (standard) - smallish but standard size of a central city hotel. Very modern, very comfy beds. Great shower. Includes niceties such as shower gel, shampoo, sewing kit, shoe horn.....

Breakfast - excellent range of food - cold meats, bread, cheese, sausage, egg, juices, hot drinks, fruit etc. Always got a table no problem (as a couple). Could have been slightly trickier for larger groups perhaps.

Other - someone playing the grand piano in the evening making for a pleasant atmosphere. Notably must have a credit card put on your room upon arrival. Also, use of the pool was not included - it was 6euros for its use however I cannot comment as we didn't have time to use it. Cleaners start relatively early, so just remember to put your do not disturb sign out if you want to lie in past 8.30am!

Conclusion - I would definitely stay here if I was to visit Budapest again.

2  Thank carrmanor23

Dear Guest,

although your aim was to be short but your review was telling a lot! Thank you for highlighting the central location, the good service and the extensive range of room amenities even in a standard room. It was good to read that you were satisfied with the choice and service of the breakfast.
I cannot repeat enough that some rates (mostly wholesaler rates booked by travel agencies, i.e. not directly with the hotel) do not include the entry fee to the wellness area.

I sincerely hope you will have the chance to return as promised.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We got to the hotel in the afternoon. The lobby is beautiful.
Although a bit snobbish the service was okey.
Our luggage was carried to the room by a very nice hotel porter. Both of the hotel porters were very friendly and our favourites among the staff.

We got to the room and we had booked a standard room. This is where the fun ends. The room was absolutely tiny. Kind of claustrophobic and with a view towards the other hotel rooms. Not ideal at all... There was a fruit basket but no complementary water.
The bathroom/ shower was also tiny. Only one person could fit in it at the time. There was no shampoo or conditioner either, only shower cream. Some items in the bathroom were also loose, not sticking to the wall. Like the paper roll holder or the extra mirror. This gave the place a run-down feeling.

The breakfast was so so. The food simply felt cheap. Which is really a shame because there is so much nice food in Hungary. It had potential but just didnt feel fresh or innovative. You know the difference between let's say Lidl and Waitrose? Well let's just say that it definitely was not Waitrose standard. And only served until 10 am. Kind of poor to expect people on their vacation to get up at 9 just to get their breakfast.

On Sunday we wanted to sleep in a little. We forgot to hang the sign on the door. After the cleaning lady woke us up the first time I got up and spoke to her, let her know that we werent going to leave the room until 12. She said okey no problem. 12 o'clock it is.
This didnt work. They knocked every half an hour until we just couldnt be bothered anymore. When I told the incident to the reception staff he kindly informed me that I should have hung out the sign on the door. Perhaps I should. Or perhaps the cleaning lady should have told me to do this. Or perhaps he could have just apologised on behalf of the hotel.

Budapest is really an amazing place.
But really this hotel is over priced, staff feels a bit snobbish and not warm/ welcoming. Food feels cheap and not well thought through. I would not have stayed here again.

Also, all the taxis they book you are approximately 30% more expensive than the ones from other companies. Kind of frustrating.

Only stay here if it's a Groupon deal because it's not a 4 star hotel. Morel like a 3 star hotel with potential of becoming a 4 star.

3  Thank agsun
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Dear Guest,

many thanks for your compliments on two porters and on the decor, although even the lobby you found snobbish.

I was very sorry to read all of your very negative remarks and the fact that almost nothing was at your satisfaction. A good example for this is, that although we have delivered a complimentary fruit basket to your room ( I must guess for a celebration) you missed the complimentary mineral water. I like to avoid denying each vicious remarks as the other Tripadvisor guest feedbacks speak themselves.
Wish I had known how one can request a Waitrose quality and dreaming about a Groupon deal.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed in a deluxe room in Feb 2013. Throughout our stay the service was excellent. Our room was spotless and was spacious with all the facilities we could have wanted. I really appreciated the free wifi. Breakfast during the weekend was busy, but not uncomfortably so, and was of excellent quality with varied options.

The hotel is in an area with bars and nightclubs, however it felt very safe to walk around at all times of the day and night. The rowdiest people we saw in the streets were other brits. We didn't experience any problems with noise in the room. We explored the city using the metro, and the nearest station is a couple of minutes walk from the hotel.

We left on Sunday afternoon and the reception staff were happy to keep our bags for us while we went sightseeing and arranged a taxi to take us to the airport. This took some of the stress out of our final day and was really appreciated.

I can't comment on value for money as the room was booked as a gift but I would recommend this hotel to others who want a base to explore Budapest.

3  Thank caterpillar84

Dear Guest,

many thnaks for your valueble feedback. I can ensure you that the neighbourhood is at least as safe as other parts of Budapest. It was good to hear that no noise came to your room despite of the bars and night clubs nearby. Breakfast room is sometime busy on weekends, but we have less guests with breakfast included arrangements and we open our courtyard shortly.

I appreciate your recommendation of our hotel among your friends and the readers.

Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

just spent three wonderful nights here. The rooms were beautiful, comfy beds and loved the pillow menu. The showers in the standard rooms are fantastic.
We opted to pay 6 euro to use the spa facilities and were not disappointed. Impeccably clean con a welcome chill out from the sightseeing.
The staff were friendly and efficient , only one lady who served me in the bar was not!
We opted to the the hotel taxi service for our transfers and this service was faultless.
our only minor complaint was no tea or coffee facilities in the room . Tips certainly did not distract from a relaxing and wonderful stay at this hotel.

2  Thank intelgalvic

Dear Guest,

I was delighted to read your fantastic feedback even the negative remarks. I am really sorry to hear that one of our waitresses in the Cafe was not friendly and efficient enough. I apologize for it.

Tea and coffee facilites in the standard rooms are upon request only. I was getting already satisfied as this information reaches most of our guests, but in your case it was unfortunately not.

I think our transfer service is safe and comfortable and well worth for the price with no surprise.

The wellness area is really not included in certain rates (wholesaler rates booked through travel agencies, i.e. not directly), but still worth for the fee. It was good to read from an authentic guest.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

We arrived at the hotel very late at night and were warmly greeted and given an upgrade- enabling us to have free access to the hotel spa which provided a restful bonus to our trip. The room was gorgeous, beds were extremely comfortable and the staff ensured we were never short of towels- they were changed as frequently as we needed. We were kindly lent an umbrella without even asking- the staff really did go out of their way to make our stay special and coming back from long days exploring Budapest was a treat.

Room Tip: Bring a laptop as there is free WiFi which is extremely beneficial when looking for places to visit.
2  Thank Callum J

Dear Callum J,

I was happy to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us and you were satisfied with all small interactions of the staff.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

The hotel was fautless from begining to end.

We got a great deal on the room price through Trivago. We contacted the hotel prior to arival to ask about taxis from the airport as we had heard a few stories. They aranged for us to be picked up by a chauffer, which although was more expensie than the taxis it was well worth it for the slight difference.

Upon check in we were informed that the room type we had booked was over allocated so they were oig to upgrade us. The room wasnt huge, but was perfect for what we required. The bathroom was also the same. Both were very cean and were kept this way throughout our stay.

We only had breakfast at the hotel which both my girlfriend and i found to have a very good selection. If you are after a typical full english then you will be upset, but if you have gone abroad to experience something new then you'll be happy.

Reception were very helpful with any questions that we had, and aways hada smile on their face.

We found a great way to get around was the tourist hop on/off buses. I would however recommend buying the tickets from one of the street vendors rather than the hotel as they are much cheaper in the street.

The hotel is idealy located for sight seeing and nightlife. The hotel is 5 minutes walk from the great synagoge and 10 minutes from St. Stephens Basilica. At night there are some great bars within minutes walk, the legendary Szimpla Kert, a must for the experience although dont expect to see traditional Budapest there, but a great bar with cheap drinks.

I would also recommend Chess Restuarant for amazing quality food and prices you wont believe are correct for the standard of food.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 7Tenths

Dear Guest,

I am very greatful that you have shared your experiences on Tripadvisor. I can only ensure you that your advance transfer reservation was a good idea even for the small surcharge as it is much more comfortable and safer than any taxi transfer.
I was happy that you liked your room and the breakfast selection was at your taste. I think the bohem area around the hotel is an attraction alone and is safe like any tourist area of the city.