“Beautiful hotel, with great service.”

Continental Hotel Budapest
Ranked #39 of 333 Hotels in Budapest
“Beautiful hotel, with great service.”
Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

Well located on the pest side of the river within easy walking distance of the city.
Managed to get a fantastic deal staying for 3 nights with breakfast included (breakfast is self service and has more than enough choice).
Hotel is beautiful and very well maintained.
Service and attention to detail is remarkable.
Highly recommended as a base for exploring the city.

1 Thank Helene H
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Helene H,

It is so flattering to read such nice satisfied reviews! On the other hand also very dangerous for potential guests. What happens if we fail or cannot meet the high expectations? Reading some reviews with a score of 4, full with compliments and positive remarks, I have to think that we cannot exceed expectations, which are sometimes too high.

Many thanks for your recommendation!

Best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (479)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

Came in summer and stayed a couple of nights - the swimming pool & sauna was really good and the breakfasts incredible. Came back for my birthday in February. Not quite the same as we had booked through a different agent ( check carefully if you want to use the pool without extra charges ) - we had really wanted to use the pool/sauna every day this time...
Breakfast still amazing!

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Guest,

I hope by the different reservation arrangement you still enjoyed your stay. In certain rates the entry fee to the wellness are is really not included, but I am sure the 6 euros price is reasonable.

I was satisfied to read that you liked our lavish breakfast!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Just returned from staying 5 days at the Zara Continental and thought it a really comfortable, well located and just generally nice hotel to stay in especially as I was alone. The staff are friendly and helpful, they have an excellent breakfast and good room service and there is a rather nice spa and a pool on the roof.I enjoyed my stay very much.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

many thanks for your nice compliments and feedback. All in all you liked everything, we hope next time we will deserve the maximal scores.

Caistor UK
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We have just returned from a 3 night break at the Continental Hotel Zara and we had a great time. The staff were excellent and extremely helpful. I found the bed too hard and, although they couldn't replace it(understandable) they arranged for extra duvets to be placed under the sheets to make it softer for me. The breakfasts were very good and well varied. All in all an excellent base to explore Budapest.

Room Tip: We were on the 2nd floor(non-smoking) and found it very quiet and easy to access the bar and recepti...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear that you found the mattress too hard what is really unique. I am happy that my colleagues found a solution for it.

It makes me happy to that your room on the 2nd floor was quiet and you were satisfied with the selction and quality of the breakfast too.

Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

I booked this through a groupon deal - very reasonable price and though looked really nice in pictures. It measured up equally when we arrived.

Service on the reception and restaurant was really friendly and helpful!

The breakfast was fanstastic- all quality ingredients and plenty of selection too. Often a buffet breakfast can be mass produced, poor quality food and lukewarm. Not the case at Zara - all fresh and left me full up till evening meal.

The hotel also boasts a luxury spa with gym too. Only complaint was there was no air conditioning in the gym.

Really recommend this hotel. Great price and luxury stay. Feels very boutique and great location to explore Budapest!

• Stayed January 2013
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

I really thank for your excellent title and scores. I was more than pleased to learn how much you liked our breakfast. Yes, we especially emphasize the quality of the breakfast with fresh ingredients as a good breakfast is a very good start for the day.

Thanks a lot for your recommendation.

Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Disclaimer: I did NOT get an upgrade on my room as many of the previous reviewers did! That being said, the rooms are really nice (but small). The pool is great (would be even better in the summer if outdoor roof pool were also available). Definitely worth discounted rate I got on Expedia (which might explain the lack of upgrade!)

My only complaint would be the concierge: on several occasions we asked for a recommendation for a non-touristy restaurant. There is so much great, cheap, local food in Budapest, but they couldn't get out of that expensive-touristy mode, even when asked directly to do so.

All-in-all, definitely do recommend this hotel, though you could certainly find cheaper, larger, and more helpful accommodations. I wonder if the Boutique Hotel Zara with which they are connected might be better?

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Bruce W,

I am sorry to hear that you expected an upgrade and you did not recieve it. It is not automatical and I am sure we did not promise it in advance, what we do very seldom anyway, bearing mind availability.
I was also sad to read that you wanted to visit non-touristic restaurants and Concierge could not fulfill your request properly. We recommend restaurants what we can rely on, reach international level, as otherwise the recommendation van be very subjective.

I can ensure you our sister hotel is much smaller and worth to visit too.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

I had my stag do in Budapest in February 2013. 13 of us stayed here and none of us could fault it. Fantastic hotel, very friendly helpful staff, decent size clean rooms. Very modern throughout. The price was very fair and even the bar prices were reasonable granted much more than the local bars but you expect that in a 4* hotel. I would definitely recommend the hotel zarah to anyone that is going to Budapest.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Guest,

although we are a little bit afraid of stag parties, we could not even notice it from your behavior, what I really appreciate. I am more than happy that all of you liked the service and enjoyed our hotel.

Many thanks for your compliments and for your excessive title of your review.