“Great stay; great breakfast buffet”

Continental Hotel Budapest
Ranked #42 of 336 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed January 10, 2013

My husband booked this hotel for a stay in December so we could visit Budapest and their Christmas markets.The location is quite convenient to the street trams and the underground metro. The hotel is very pretty. Our room wasn't huge but it was nicely appointed and very clean. The pillows were a bit flat - so not great for back sleepers. I requested a few extras.

We booked passes to use the hot tub and pool. The hot tub was not very hot at all, so that was disappointing. The towels are quite small so I would be sure to ask the front desk for robes if you plan to walk to and from the pool in your bathing suits. I was quite cold on the walk back to our room. We requested robes but they were never delivered.

The breakfast buffet was great- very fresh, very hot, great selection. It was very crowded so you may have to deal with lines and dishes emptying before you get there. Refills by the staff will come. I would stay here again.

1  Thank GoBruiserGo
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2013

Dear Guest,

many thanks for sharing your experiences with the readers, ven the negative ones! I am sorry to hear that you have never received the requested bath robe which sounds me very strange and unique. I agree, in winter it might be cold in some areas of the hotel to walk from the wellness to your room. The temperature of the whirpool is a sensitive question as some Nordic guests find out too hot. We keep it on 35 degrees which is normaly acceptable for the majority of the guests.
We are in the middle of the change of our pillows. I apologise if you had the old pillows.

In certain periods (mostly around 9-10 o'clock on weekends) when the hotel is full it happens that the breakfast room is crowded. To avoid hectic periods we do not offer breakfast in the price for all the guests and recommend to come earlier. As a spring the terrace will definitely help to cater more guests in a relaxed atmosphere.

I hope you will have the possibility to stay with us again.

Best regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (4,470)

Reviewed January 9, 2013

From the moment I arrived, I felt like foreign dignitary. Reception and Concierge are very attentive, professional and have "polish" character. Doormen are friendly and very much dedicated to their duties. The room I had was facing the inner courtyard where the wall is painted with scenery. Pianist at the lobby was cheerful and upbeat. Toietries especially bath soap molded to allow massaging your body while soaping which is unique. Breakfast is adequate and wait staff are accommodating. There accolade is well deserved.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank christianyvr
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2013

Dear Guest,

I feel proud for your compliments on the decor and on the staff. I pass your accolade to all relevant colleagues.

Many thnaks and best regards,

Reviewed January 7, 2013

We booked this hotel very last minute as a deal and it was absolutely fantastic. The staff were very friendly and welcoming with excellent English. The hotel has recently been renovated and it looks fantasitc with some of the old features revamped giving a lovely chracter. The bedroom was of a high standard, the room wasn't massive but a good size (I wouldn't have mentioned that but several reviews have suggested that they are small which I must disagree with). The bathroom was very clean with a powerful shower. All newly renovated. The only thing I will say was that there was no tea/coffee in the room and I would have expected that from a 4 * hotel.
We used the spa facilities which were very nice and a good atmosphere, with a luxurious air to it!!
I can't comment on the breakfast as our deal didn't include it, we were offered but decided to go to a local cafe instead. The location is perfect, pretty central to Pest (10 mins walk). There are some lovely restaurants and bars nearby so its easy!
I would defiantly recommend this hotel as it was excellent.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jonesek

Dear Guest,

many thanks for your excellent score. It is good to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. In the standard room we offer tea/coffee making facilities on request only basis which is mentioned in the Guest Service Directory in the room.
I was happy to read that you enjoyed to Spa too.

Many thanks for recommending our Hotel.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

I stayed here with my boyfriend during the Christmas Holidays. Convenient location near a metro station. Very good value for money. Rooms are clean. Great breakfast buffet. There's also live piano music in the lobby, which is nice. The staff are friendly, but the service was very impersonal, which I guess you could expect in a 200 room luxury hotel...
The air conditioning was poor. It wasn't a problem now, but I wouldn't want to try it in the summer...

2  Thank Marrijke

Dear Guest,

I was happy to read that the staff was friendly but a little bit surprised that you found the hotel impersonal despite having more than 200 rooms.
I was not pleased to read that you were not satisfied with the airco. Did you ask for any help? What was the problem? We are eager to help our guests if we know any dissatisfaction.

Many thanks and best regards,

Reviewed January 6, 2013

This is a classy hotel - the lobby and the restaurant are glamorous and impressively decorated. The building used to be a spa and the architects have restored the original features and decor in the common areas. I agree with other comments that the bedrooms are on the small side and bath as well as a shower would be nice - we had a deluxe double - however, the rooms are incredibly comfortable and stylish. The bed was excellent, really comfortable and good linen etc. The breakfast buffet was comprehensive and good quality and we also ate in the restaurant which serves both Hungarian and French classics. For me the best thing about the hotel was the helpfulness of the staff. I hurt my back on the way to the airport and by the time we arrived I was in a lot of pain and couldn't walk far. I was worried that I would be stuck in the hotel over New Year's Eve. The concierge was brilliant, he recommended that we take a city tour on the bus/boat that goes on roads and also on the Danube, he booked this for us and arranged a taxi to the pick up point. He also booked us a restaurant for NYE right beside the main square so that I could hobble out at midnight and see the fireworks. When the taxi driver took us to the wrong place for the tour bus by mistake the hotel arranged a refund and rebooked our tour tickets for the next slot with no hassle at all. I think it is the way in which problems get sorted that show how good the service really is. On top of this all the hotel staff were super friendly and charming - room service requests for an adaptor and ice bucket were actioned in minutes. The location of the hotel is not the swankiest but it is surrounded by good bars and restaurants and only 15 mins walk to the Danube and the Octogon. We would definitely return.

Room Tip: Delux doubles are pretty small - don't think I'd go for a standard double.
4  Thank MrsBeelette

Dear Guest,

I appreciate your long and detailed review. After all the real difference in hotels is a service what you also mentioned. I think the small and helpful interactions are very important to remember the hotel. I am happy to read that it succeeded in your case and you highly appreciated it.

Many thanks for your high scores and look forward to your return.

Best regards.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Fantastic,plush hotel. Central for everything. Very clean and excellent service. But bar and mini bar expensive. No dressing gown or slippers!! Not good if you want to use wellness center, which is also extra!

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank tinky67
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2013

Dear Guest,

many thanks for the maximal scores despite not giving us the maximal overal rating. Our hotel is a city hotel offering basic and not too big welness facilities and services. This is the reason why not all the rooms (strandar rooms above) have bathrobes and slippers. We do provide however ll these amenities on request.
I am sorry to hear that you found the prices of the minibar and of the bar too high. I can ensure you that these prices are in line of the competitor hotels and are very good value for the money paid according to the majority of the feedbacks.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed one night in this hotel. The room size is ok (I've seen better) and the toilet is a bit too small. The swimming pool and spa area upstairs are great, and when we were there we were almost alone.
The problem comes here: they blocked some money in our credit card (100€) saying it they will unlock it in the check out when we pay the bill. They told us this was done once we paid the bill (almost 300€ with dinner, drinks, etc...). I checked my account that day and everything seemed fine, they charged around 300 and unblock 100€. A week latter (once we were back home) they charged us again the whole amount of money we had paid in the check out ( 300 euros).
While emailing reception and managers telling them about the double charge I was always treated as stupid and told it was my mistake. I couldn't believe it!
In both charges appeared the name of the hotel and in my bank account it also appeared the 100€ back at the same time we paid the bill. So latter on they decided to DOUBLE CHARGE US and they couldn't explain me why.
I had to wait until the end of the month so my bank could claim the money back. They never solved the problem for me and after complaining for their fault I WAS TOLD TO NEVER GO BACK TO THEIR HOTEL, something that should never be said to a customer.
Of course I would never go back there because if it wasn't for my bank I will have paid double and enjoyed once!

Room Tip: Standard rooms have a very small toilet.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Montse A
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Dear Guest,

I appreciate that you liked our wellness centre at least.

I can hardly imagine that anyone can beleive that that the hotel has charged you your hotel bill one week after your departure. I have sent you several documents – among them a statement from our bank – to proove that only one charge occured on your card from the hotel. I know it is easy to blame the hotel for an error but I am very curious whether you have made the same correspendance – including treatment – with your bank too?

And finally, if anybody is blackmaling a hotel with social media and with no return fictitiously, ignoring any constructive and evident reply and proof, is really not welcome again.

Sincerely yours