“Very nice”

Ranked #40 of 334 Hotels in Budapest
Leuven, Vlaams-Brabant, Belgium
“Very nice”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I stayed here with my boyfriend during the Christmas Holidays. Convenient location near a metro station. Very good value for money. Rooms are clean. Great breakfast buffet. There's also live piano music in the lobby, which is nice. The staff are friendly, but the service was very impersonal, which I guess you could expect in a 200 room luxury hotel...
The air conditioning was poor. It wasn't a problem now, but I wouldn't want to try it in the summer...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Marrijke
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

I was happy to read that the staff was friendly but a little bit surprised that you found the hotel impersonal despite having more than 200 rooms.
I was not pleased to read that you were not satisfied with the airco. Did you ask for any help? What was the problem? We are eager to help our guests if we know any dissatisfaction.

Many thanks and best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (487)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed January 6, 2013

This is a classy hotel - the lobby and the restaurant are glamorous and impressively decorated. The building used to be a spa and the architects have restored the original features and decor in the common areas. I agree with other comments that the bedrooms are on the small side and bath as well as a shower would be nice - we had a deluxe double - however, the rooms are incredibly comfortable and stylish. The bed was excellent, really comfortable and good linen etc. The breakfast buffet was comprehensive and good quality and we also ate in the restaurant which serves both Hungarian and French classics. For me the best thing about the hotel was the helpfulness of the staff. I hurt my back on the way to the airport and by the time we arrived I was in a lot of pain and couldn't walk far. I was worried that I would be stuck in the hotel over New Year's Eve. The concierge was brilliant, he recommended that we take a city tour on the bus/boat that goes on roads and also on the Danube, he booked this for us and arranged a taxi to the pick up point. He also booked us a restaurant for NYE right beside the main square so that I could hobble out at midnight and see the fireworks. When the taxi driver took us to the wrong place for the tour bus by mistake the hotel arranged a refund and rebooked our tour tickets for the next slot with no hassle at all. I think it is the way in which problems get sorted that show how good the service really is. On top of this all the hotel staff were super friendly and charming - room service requests for an adaptor and ice bucket were actioned in minutes. The location of the hotel is not the swankiest but it is surrounded by good bars and restaurants and only 15 mins walk to the Danube and the Octogon. We would definitely return.

Room Tip: Delux doubles are pretty small - don't think I'd go for a standard double.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MrsBeelette
Dear Guest,

I appreciate your long and detailed review. After all the real difference in hotels is a service what you also mentioned. I think the small and helpful interactions are very important to remember the hotel. I am happy to read that it succeeded in your case and you highly appreciated it.

Many thanks for your high scores and look forward to your return.

Best regards.
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Fantastic,plush hotel. Central for everything. Very clean and excellent service. But bar and mini bar expensive. No dressing gown or slippers!! Not good if you want to use wellness center, which is also extra!

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank tinky67
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

many thanks for the maximal scores despite not giving us the maximal overal rating. Our hotel is a city hotel offering basic and not too big welness facilities and services. This is the reason why not all the rooms (strandar rooms above) have bathrobes and slippers. We do provide however ll these amenities on request.
I am sorry to hear that you found the prices of the minibar and of the bar too high. I can ensure you that these prices are in line of the competitor hotels and are very good value for the money paid according to the majority of the feedbacks.

Best regards,
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed one night in this hotel. The room size is ok (I've seen better) and the toilet is a bit too small. The swimming pool and spa area upstairs are great, and when we were there we were almost alone.
The problem comes here: they blocked some money in our credit card (100€) saying it they will unlock it in the check out when we pay the bill. They told us this was done once we paid the bill (almost 300€ with dinner, drinks, etc...). I checked my account that day and everything seemed fine, they charged around 300 and unblock 100€. A week latter (once we were back home) they charged us again the whole amount of money we had paid in the check out ( 300 euros).
While emailing reception and managers telling them about the double charge I was always treated as stupid and told it was my mistake. I couldn't believe it!
In both charges appeared the name of the hotel and in my bank account it also appeared the 100€ back at the same time we paid the bill. So latter on they decided to DOUBLE CHARGE US and they couldn't explain me why.
I had to wait until the end of the month so my bank could claim the money back. They never solved the problem for me and after complaining for their fault I WAS TOLD TO NEVER GO BACK TO THEIR HOTEL, something that should never be said to a customer.
Of course I would never go back there because if it wasn't for my bank I will have paid double and enjoyed once!

Room Tip: Standard rooms have a very small toilet.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Montse A
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

I appreciate that you liked our wellness centre at least.

I can hardly imagine that anyone can beleive that that the hotel has charged you your hotel bill one week after your departure. I have sent you several documents – among them a statement from our bank – to proove that only one charge occured on your card from the hotel. I know it is easy to blame the hotel for an error but I am very curious whether you have made the same correspendance – including treatment – with your bank too?

And finally, if anybody is blackmaling a hotel with social media and with no return fictitiously, ignoring any constructive and evident reply and proof, is really not welcome again.

Sincerely yours
Fife Scotland
Reviewed January 4, 2013

The Continental Hotel Zara is joy to stay in, within walking distance of most sights, and not on a noisy main street. From the moment of arrival we were made welcome and felt at "home." The team were always helpful and profesional in everything they did. THough not large,our room and bathroom were fine, modern and well serviced. The bar on the "landing" was a joy to sit in and enjoy a drink.

Breakfast was a "wow", what a choice, and kept well stocked with enough staff to ensure that tables were cleared and the buffet replenished. What a pleasure to see a team function professionally. A few people made up their lunch packs from it. Though there are many good small inexpensive places to enjoy for lunch .

We booked own taxi from airport via web, Joe Cser. info@cheapshuttle.eu Good Value and very nice person.

We would happily return when next in Budapest.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

if you felt our hotel as a home, than we have to be satisfied too. Asd one guest wrote on Tripadvisor, the hotel is victim of its success. It is valid for the breakfast as the selection, the quality and the service is on much higher level than in any 4 star hotel in town. It's a pity that some guests pack their breakfast for lunch, it is absolutely unethical and we charge for it if we notice it.

If you were satisfied with your stay why did you not score us with the highest points?

I hope you will definitely return as promised.

Many thanks and best regards,
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Stayed here for a 4 night break in September 2012.

Overall I thought the hotel was very good and the staff were very friendly and helpful, with the exception perhaps of the bar. It is a nice building converted it seems from an old baths. I would definately recommend this hotel. Reception arranged a taxi from the hotel to the airport, which was about 30 euros with no problems experienced by others. Be careful at the airport and only use taxis from the authorised kiosks, as there are plenty of sharks around.

Location
The hotel is situated about 20 minutes walk from the river and Vaci St, the main shopping area. It not as convenient as the hotels in the centre but don't let that put you off. There's loads of public transport options around the hotel if you don't fancy the walk.

Rooms
The allocated room (just the standard room) was excellent, very clean, well furnished in a contemporary style. The room wasn't massive, but standard size for this type of hotel, nice bathroom with a big shower. I don't think many of the rooms have any kind of view. Overall couldn't fault the room at all.

Restaurant - 'Araz'
We ate in the hotel a couple of times and found the food very good with a mix of local dishes and international cuisine. I had the pike/perch one night which I couldn't fault. The BBQ evening was good value. The wine in the restaurant was very good (an extensive list) and residents received a 50% discount, which was very welcome. The buffet breakfast was excellent with a range of fruits, cheeses, ham, bread and cooked options - eggs, sausages, bacon etc

The bar
The balcony bar is a waste of time. We sat there waiting to be served on two occasions for twenty minutes, but with only two staff covering a lot of tables, it was impossible to get a drink! I would recommend you do what we did and turn right out of the hotel and find one of the bars on Dohany which are a fraction of the price anyway. The bars also do really good home cooked food.

Hotel facilities
The roof top spa is absolutely fantastic. There is a small outdoor pool on the roof with views towards the Buda Hills. Around the pool are grassed and decked areas with sunbeds. There is also a small indoor pool, steam room and sauna, all of which is very welcome after a hard day sightseeing!

Things to do
Try the usual touristy things like the boat trips and the museums. For something different try the Hungarian wine museum opposite the Hilton in Buda where they have wine tasting menus, its superb!. The Szechenyi thermal baths in the City Park are great. The food and bars over in Buda are also very reasonable. The restaurants in the main tourist areas are expensive so my advice would be to venture off the beaten track and try some of the local cafes.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank John A B
Dear Guest,

I think your detailed description of the services are good tool for the potential future guests. I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with one exception what I was sad to hear. I have to think that you visited our popular Galery Cafe in the most busiest evening time and the service was too slow. I ahv e to apologise for it and ensure you that these faults are really rare.
Since your visit was in September, I think it is wise to add that the rooftop swimming pool is not in operation in winter.

Many thanks for your feedback and best regards,