“A VERY NICE HOTEL WITH GOOD SERVICE”

Continental Hotel Budapest
Ranked #39 of 342 Hotels in Budapest
“A VERY NICE HOTEL WITH GOOD SERVICE”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We booked this hotel for 5 nights!It.was.a very clean and hot hotel !!The service was perfect!!The bad things were that the spa pool was so small and also there are only two cadins saunas only for two!Also one day for my birthday day we made massage the girls who made the massage were not so professonals...BUT the reception was very nice and decorated fantastic for Christmans' days!!!For my birthday one girl from reception remember it and they sent in our room as a gift a fruit salade!!Thank you!!!It is important the good location that the hotel is and also that is very clean and modern!!!You must go in this hotel....

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with trip.ru

Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Dear Guest,

I am happy to hear how memorable your birthday was. I do not know what guests expect from our wellness center as Continental Hotel is not a wellness hotel rather a city hotel offering also some wellness facilities and services. Most of the hotels in the downtown do not even offer any swimming pool. The uniqueness is the outside pool on the roof (except winter). I am sorry to hear that you found our masseur unprofessisonal as all of them are very vell trained professional ones.
I was a little bit sissapointed about your scores on the cleanliness as you have praised it even two times!

Thank you for calling upon the readers to visit our hotel.

Best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (476)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Just checked in today and want to say hotel is very good value price wise and most of the staff are very polite and professional. Nothing seems to much trouble for most.
From reading other reviews I was expecting wow great things but I also feel the reviews were not based on the standard rooms . They lack tea and coffee making tools. ( but these were given as complimentary when we rasied the issue) and are a little small.
Overall the building is lovely, the rooms good, modern and very usable . Staff friendly With perfect english . Excellent prices in both the bar and with the food but I wouldn't agree totally with the incredible reviews. The wow factor is missing for me somewhere. Maybe it is because of the check-in experience. When the couple in front of you are offered " a free and luxury" upgrade by the same memeber of staff that then tells you at 2pm " your room is not ready yet, can you wait !!! " You wonder how they chose the " lucky couples??? "

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

it is always motivating us if such a high benchmark is set like missing wow factor. I think I have to be quite satuisfied if the wow factor only was missing. Reading your feedback I have to notice that you have enjoyed your stay with us in general.
We inform in all possible ways that the tea a nd coffee making facilities in the standard rooms are on request basis only.
What the bad check-in expereince is concerned I am very sorry for it, but I hope you understand that almost no reservations are the same (guaranteed check-in time at reservation, different rates and conditions, different room types, views, locations, levels etc.).

Many thnaks and best regards,
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Well located hotel. Pleasant accommodation, but lacking the 'wow'.

Hotel taxis take longer routes so you pay up to double fare compared to taxis you ride back from restaurants, although the hotel assure you they are most trustworthy.

Expect to have the room serviced, mini bar checked then mini bar restocked at all different times of the day, usually when you just returned for a short break (every day).

In fairness to the staff they are all pleasant and willing to assist but used to groups rather than individual families.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Alex A,

I understand one can blame a hotel with low scores for missing wow, although it is not quite fair, if you admit, the location is good, the staff is friendly and the accommodation is pleasant.
The hotel taxis are really trustworthy drivers (all Mercedes E class cars) and working with fix rates based on where they go. In other words they are not interested in driving around Budapest at all. Since most of the streets in the downtown are one way streets - like around the hotel too - the return way is definitely not the same.
To enjoy the privacy in the room fully, I can only recommend to use the "do not disturb" sign on the door.
For your information, a 272-room hotel cannot accommodate individuals only. In average groups are not more than 25% of the total occupancy, but there are certain periods when it can be higher.

Haifa, Israel
Reviewed December 23, 2012

We just came back from 5 days stay in Zara continental Hotel and it was perfect. The hotel entrance looks like a palace, especially now with all the Christmas decorations.
The room is not big, but very nicely decorated and very elegant. The bathrobes and slippers were a nice surprise.

The staff is always very helpful and make you feel welcome.

The breakfast is great with a lot of choices and fine quality. We also tried the lunch menu for 1590 F and it was very good.

Most important thing is location - a perfect base for seeing the whole of the city by foot, and the public transport is 2 minutes away from the hotel, on Blaha Lujza tér: one of the busiest squares of Budapest.

We travel a lot, and Zara Hotel is one of the best hotels a have ever stayed in. I would definitely stay here again on my next trip to Budapest and I'll recommend it to all my friends.

Wonderful !!!

Ilana & Alex

3 Thank Ilana B
Dear Iliana B,

I agree, the location is the most important in the selection of a hotel. I also learnt it as you highlighted. There are however toher very important factors too, like the design (I would never thought before what a dominant selling point it can be) and the service what you also acknowledged.
I was happy to learn how much you liked the best value for money daily lunch in town.

Many thanks for the recommendations and we all look forward to your next stay.

Alsdorf, Germany
Reviewed December 22, 2012

we had a 4 days stay in Hotel Zara Continental and it was absolutely marvellous.
Very nice rooms, very proper, very well equipped. The reception team was always very gentle and gave you any information you needed.The Hotel Zara Continental is to be further recommanded.

Olga and Josef

3 Thank Josef M
Dear Guest,

let me express my greatest appreciation for taking the time and efforts to share your experiences with the readers. I was delighted to hear how much you liked the service of the staff.

Many thanks for recommending our hotel and for the excellent scores.

Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

First of all I'd like to say hotel was very good value price wise and majority of staff are very polite particularly in galleria.
From reading other reviews I was expecting great things but I feel the reviews were not based on the standard rooms .
Rooms are small but ok , our first given room had hairs under the sheets and the pillows were very poor quality and stained yellow in places under the cases .
We asked to be moved which wasn't a problem but the pillows were the same standard . We asked for change of pillows which they did promptly in fairness .
Funny thing is there is a "pillow menu " card explaining the different luxury pillows available and you can buy pillows at the hotel but these nice pillows must be for non standard rooms . Room was quiet enough and ok otherwise . Note the only English TV channel is bbc news so no choice there.
On check in we were told we 80 euro would be taken off my credit card and put back on check out , I'm still insure why this should be done . !! I questioned this and stated they were not to do same ! So strange .
Overall the facade is pretty , rooms ok. Staff friendly With perfect english . Good prices available but I wouldn't agree with the incredible reviews it received here mostly .

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Wtangogirl
Dear Guest,

yes there are overhyped reviews and downhyped reviews as well. Most of the guests can read between the subjective lines and the result is an average score. I still do not understand why to check the bed under the sheet and open the pillow case to check the pillow, but looking for a defect one can be sure to find it. Please be ensured that the bedlinen, the pillows and the duvets are quite new ones (2 years old) and are regularly checked and replaced if necessary. To prove how important this topic is for us we have recently introduced our pillow programme, which is unique in a four star hotel. In the execuitve rooms and in the suites we even offer goose dawn feather pillows and duvets!
I was recently in Ireland and was staying in several hotels. In all hotels my credit card was pre-authorised with a higher sum than the room charge only and after check out the balance was released. This practice is international and not unique to our hotel.

I hope your stay was pleasant despite of the aboves as you liked the facade, the staff, the price you paid.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

The hotel is located near the city centre of Pest, in the Jewish quarter; excellent location, near the hotel you can find a lot of restaurants or pubs.
It has been recently renovated, our room wasn't too big, but the bed was very comfortable, and the wifi was free of charge.
the breakfast buffet included in the price was amazing, a lot of choice and good quality.
there's also a spa but we've never had the chance to use it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Dear Barogas,

many thanks for your short but valuable review. I think you had a great time with us. I wish you to return shorty in order to try our rooftop wellness are with the outdoor swimming pool.

Many thanks and best regards,