“Very excellent Hotel”

Continental Hotel Budapest
Ranked #39 of 332 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed December 22, 2012

we had a 4 days stay in Hotel Zara Continental and it was absolutely marvellous.
Very nice rooms, very proper, very well equipped. The reception team was always very gentle and gave you any information you needed.The Hotel Zara Continental is to be further recommanded.

Olga and Josef

3  Thank Josef M
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2012

Dear Guest,

let me express my greatest appreciation for taking the time and efforts to share your experiences with the readers. I was delighted to hear how much you liked the service of the staff.

Many thanks for recommending our hotel and for the excellent scores.

There are newer reviews for Continental Hotel Budapest

Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

First of all I'd like to say hotel was very good value price wise and majority of staff are very polite particularly in galleria.
From reading other reviews I was expecting great things but I feel the reviews were not based on the standard rooms .
Rooms are small but ok , our first given room had hairs under the sheets and the pillows were very poor quality and stained yellow in places under the cases .
We asked to be moved which wasn't a problem but the pillows were the same standard . We asked for change of pillows which they did promptly in fairness .
Funny thing is there is a "pillow menu " card explaining the different luxury pillows available and you can buy pillows at the hotel but these nice pillows must be for non standard rooms . Room was quiet enough and ok otherwise . Note the only English TV channel is bbc news so no choice there.
On check in we were told we 80 euro would be taken off my credit card and put back on check out , I'm still insure why this should be done . !! I questioned this and stated they were not to do same ! So strange .
Overall the facade is pretty , rooms ok. Staff friendly With perfect english . Good prices available but I wouldn't agree with the incredible reviews it received here mostly .

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Wtangogirl

Dear Guest,

yes there are overhyped reviews and downhyped reviews as well. Most of the guests can read between the subjective lines and the result is an average score. I still do not understand why to check the bed under the sheet and open the pillow case to check the pillow, but looking for a defect one can be sure to find it. Please be ensured that the bedlinen, the pillows and the duvets are quite new ones (2 years old) and are regularly checked and replaced if necessary. To prove how important this topic is for us we have recently introduced our pillow programme, which is unique in a four star hotel. In the execuitve rooms and in the suites we even offer goose dawn feather pillows and duvets!
I was recently in Ireland and was staying in several hotels. In all hotels my credit card was pre-authorised with a higher sum than the room charge only and after check out the balance was released. This practice is international and not unique to our hotel.

I hope your stay was pleasant despite of the aboves as you liked the facade, the staff, the price you paid.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

The hotel is located near the city centre of Pest, in the Jewish quarter; excellent location, near the hotel you can find a lot of restaurants or pubs.
It has been recently renovated, our room wasn't too big, but the bed was very comfortable, and the wifi was free of charge.
the breakfast buffet included in the price was amazing, a lot of choice and good quality.
there's also a spa but we've never had the chance to use it.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2012

Dear Barogas,

many thanks for your short but valuable review. I think you had a great time with us. I wish you to return shorty in order to try our rooftop wellness are with the outdoor swimming pool.

Many thanks and best regards,

Reviewed December 19, 2012

I have just got back from a three night stay in Budapest and there are no words to describe how amazing this hotel was. From the moment my boyfriend and I checked in, i knew there was something special about this hotel. There was a fantastic atmosphere, extremely christmassy and the staff were one of the nicest, most welcoming people I have ever come across. We were allocated our room which we immediately fell in love with- I could have moved in, it was absolutely perfect. There was a lovely couch and table with tea and coffee making facilities. We then saw that there were sliding doors which led to the bedroom, which was sheer luxury. I was so amazed by the high standard of the room and especially the bathrobes and slippers. The bathroom was gorgeous and the toiletries supplied smelt beautiful. We drank in the bar a few times which was fabulous. We even had an evening were carol singers came and sang by the piano and we watched from above- it was amazing.

The breakfast was gorgeous, the variety was outstanding and enough to suit any appetite.The location of the hotel was great, it is a perfect base for seeing the whole of the city.

I honestly only have excellent things to say about this hotel. It is the best hotel that I have ever stayed in and I would definitely stay here again on a return to Budapest. I really really recommend that you stay here and hope you enjoy it as much as we did !!

Truly fabulous !

4  Thank Elle J

Dear Guest,

what a nice review! It is much more worth than any advertisment. And is free and authentic. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay from the very first moment. I agree the hotel is very nice and unique but by the end the people - the service - make the real difference.
Christmas is different in every aspect. We did to make it special by the decoration and by the choir and it is good to hear that it was at your satisfaction.

I appreciate your recommendation and see you shortly.

Reviewed December 18, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at this Hotel during December 2023, and it was brilliant. The hotel was included within a flights package, so it was very cheap in comparison to others we had looked at! The rooms were clean and adequately sized. The staff were friendly, attentive and spoke good English. Breakfast was typical of the Continent, i.e cheese, ham, frankfurters etc. The only drawback of the Hotel, if any, was the 'Wellbeing area'. Simply, it just isn't bug enough for the number of guests it has to service. In general, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would highly recomend it!

1  Thank Chris T

Dear Chris T,

I appreciate your praising words on your brilliant stay. Lucky you with the good deal! Nice to hear that you were satisfied with the rate too as some guests find it occasionaly high compared to other hotels. I am sure however that our hotel is always good value for money considering the wide range of the services and the unique facilities.

I am very greatful for your recommendation.

Reviewed December 15, 2012

We have stayed here before but this has been our cheapest stay yet. £90 for a 3 night stay. Check in was quick and business like. The room although on the small side was very comfortable and we both commented on what excellent sleeps we had. The public areas are beautifully designed

Location in Dohany is excellent. The Synagogue, second largest in the world, is a 5 minute stroll away. There are lots of keenly priced bars and restaurants, and more have opened since our last visit 4 months ago. Way cheaper with just as good quality food than those around the tourist traps around Vorosmarty Ter and Vaci Utca. The closest metro is Blaha Lhuja which is a 5 minute walk away. Alternatively walk 10 minutes to Deak Ferenc where the 3 metro lines converge

Only gripe was the very expensive breakfasts at 30 euros for the 2 of us which was almost as expensive as the room. Again we chose to have breakfast at Cafe Ladro turn left and a 2 minute walk away. A very good breakfast for 2 was £6.

All staff were very pleasant and polite and spoke English. On arriving back at the hotel staff were always on hand to help with the large revolving door and welcome you.

Wi fi worked well unlike previous trips

2  Thank Alan H

Dear Alan H,

I thank you for the overwhelming attributives which were not fully refleted in the final scores unfortunately. I am sure you had a very special deal therefore the price of the extra breakfast was not in line with the room rate you paid. I have to say the rate of the breakfast is normal considering the normal room rates, but I understand it was a big difference in your case.

I think your feedback on the service of the front staff and on the free wifi were all useful information for future guests.

Many thanks for your review and best regards,

Reviewed December 14, 2012

Its a beautiful hotel and the service is lovely. The revolving doors are brilliant and everyone is so accommodating, except one concierge who didn't break a smile at all during our conversation. But maybe she had a bad day. But you get a welcome pack with all the attractions, adn tips on where to go, so that was really helpful for us.

The breakfast buffet was one of the best i've been to considering the price we paid for it! The room is compact, but there are no complaints.The pillows are a little to bulky but then again that's a small issue. Wifi was incredibly useful and great for it to be included in the price. I would ask that they forewarn customers that they take their deposit in euros rather than forint, as this charged my prepaid card commission, which I won;t get back now.

But on the whole, I would definitely go again!

Dear Guest,

many thanks for your excellent scores despite of some discrepencies and misunderstandings. I just guess which Concierge was who did not smile since it is not characteristic to any of them. We will change some of our pillows as of next year, that is the good news, but I am sorry for it.
It sounds me strange that for the released pre-authorisation a commission is charged. It has nothing to do wether it is a forint or a euro deposit, no commission is charged for a transaction which did not take place.

I hope we can personally clear this situation during your promised next stay.