“Fantastic value and superbly trained staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Continental Hotel Budapest

Continental Hotel Budapest
Ranked #37 of 342 Hotels in Budapest
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Fantastic value and superbly trained staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

We have stayed here before but this has been our cheapest stay yet. £90 for a 3 night stay. Check in was quick and business like. The room although on the small side was very comfortable and we both commented on what excellent sleeps we had. The public areas are beautifully designed

Location in Dohany is excellent. The Synagogue, second largest in the world, is a 5 minute stroll away. There are lots of keenly priced bars and restaurants, and more have opened since our last visit 4 months ago. Way cheaper with just as good quality food than those around the tourist traps around Vorosmarty Ter and Vaci Utca. The closest metro is Blaha Lhuja which is a 5 minute walk away. Alternatively walk 10 minutes to Deak Ferenc where the 3 metro lines converge

Only gripe was the very expensive breakfasts at 30 euros for the 2 of us which was almost as expensive as the room. Again we chose to have breakfast at Cafe Ladro turn left and a 2 minute walk away. A very good breakfast for 2 was £6.

All staff were very pleasant and polite and spoke English. On arriving back at the hotel staff were always on hand to help with the large revolving door and welcome you.

Wi fi worked well unlike previous trips

2 Thank Alan H
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Dear Alan H,

I thank you for the overwhelming attributives which were not fully refleted in the final scores unfortunately. I am sure you had a very special deal therefore the price of the extra breakfast was not in line with the room rate you paid. I have to say the rate of the breakfast is normal considering the normal room rates, but I understand it was a big difference in your case.

I think your feedback on the service of the front staff and on the free wifi were all useful information for future guests.

Many thanks for your review and best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (468)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

Its a beautiful hotel and the service is lovely. The revolving doors are brilliant and everyone is so accommodating, except one concierge who didn't break a smile at all during our conversation. But maybe she had a bad day. But you get a welcome pack with all the attractions, adn tips on where to go, so that was really helpful for us.

The breakfast buffet was one of the best i've been to considering the price we paid for it! The room is compact, but there are no complaints.The pillows are a little to bulky but then again that's a small issue. Wifi was incredibly useful and great for it to be included in the price. I would ask that they forewarn customers that they take their deposit in euros rather than forint, as this charged my prepaid card commission, which I won;t get back now.

But on the whole, I would definitely go again!

Dear Guest,

many thanks for your excellent scores despite of some discrepencies and misunderstandings. I just guess which Concierge was who did not smile since it is not characteristic to any of them. We will change some of our pillows as of next year, that is the good news, but I am sorry for it.
It sounds me strange that for the released pre-authorisation a commission is charged. It has nothing to do wether it is a forint or a euro deposit, no commission is charged for a transaction which did not take place.

I hope we can personally clear this situation during your promised next stay.

Poulton Le Fylde, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

We stayed 4 nights at this hotel at the start of this month and it really is a very good hotel indeed, spotlessly clean, modern and really excellent choice for breakfasts. Location was good, a 5-10 minute walk to the centre but we knew that before we booked. Lots of nice touches (a loan umbrella if it's just started to rain, lots of plug adaptors English to continental - oddly enough we forgot to take ours for the first time in years). Would thoroughly recommend it. The only advice I would give is to check what exactly is included. We did venture to the Wellness centre with it's great heated pool, saunas and jacuzzi - great facilities. On the first occasion we just walked in, got our lockers keys/ borrowed towels, absolutely fine, just gave our room number. On the 2nd occasion we were asked for12 euros for the 2 of us and it was only then that I found out that it was chargeable. The room information said nothing about a charge, I was not told when I registered and indeed I ended up paying for that first use. Not a big deal because as I say the hotel is really good, just a little more attention to the hotel facilities information required.

Dear Guest,

thank you for sahring your experiences with the readers and giving us such high scores despite of the miscommunication on the wellness entry fee. I can just guess what happened. I assume the first free entry was a fortune for you and an oversight from the receptionist. I apologise if this information did not reach you from our travel agent. Our receptionist are trained to recap all the details of the reservation upon check in, but I have to say from your example that there is room to improve by trainings.

I hope the small nice touches compensated you for the inconveniences with the entry fee in the wellness area.

Many thanks and best regards,
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

This hotel is a beautifully renovated former bath house in the heart of Budapest. The staff is friendly and the interior is lovely. However, some of the design elements, particularly in the bathroom, interfere with function. My room was comfortable but quite small and without a desk so I would not stay there again on a business trip. It would also be nice if they allowed guests access to the sauna before 9 am.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

I hope your decision is not definite not to return due to the unfunctionality of the room. I have to call your attention however that we several room types with different sizes, even corporate (business) rooms we have with proper desk. I high season we are planning to open the wellness area - including the saunas - earlier than 9 am.

I recommend you to request either corporate room or a deluxe eventually an executive room to enjoy your stay as most of of our guests do.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

We booked a deluxe room and although it was very clean and tidy it was still quite small. We had a kettle but no point to plug it in? We had an adjoining room which was not brilliant as we could hear everything the people next door were saying, and got woken up every morning at 4am when they came in and again at 9am when their alarm went off. Breakfast was lovely, but make sure you go down before 10.30am as they start clearing up and make you feel like you should rush. But overall the hotel was lovely, the people friendly and it was in a very good location.

Room Tip: Make sure you do not get given an adjoining room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear that even the deluxe room was not spacious for you enough. I think the bigger problem was the noise from the adjoining room what I am really sorry for. I am sure we would change it for you if you had let us known it or we had room available. Unfortunately I cannot figur out from yor review what happened.
Breakfast is served until 10.30 since from 12.00 we open the restaurant for lunch and the entire restaurant must be cleaned and the set up changed by noon.

Despite of the above two valid critical remarks, I am very grateful for your high scores.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

What a great first experience of Budapest, firstly to stay in a hotel like this....excellent!! The revolving door entrance is usually pushed for you by the 2 doormen who take your bags as soon as you enter. All staff are as pleasant as this also. They say that the Dubai staff are the most attentive, well they must be outstanding as this Hotel's staff are the most pleasant that I've come across yet. The foyer of the hotel is beautiful and the rooms are small but also beautifully decorated. The hotel has a brown and gold theme to it, which makes it feel classier than the 4 stars that it's given. Lighting in the rooms is a bit dark if you are trying to hunt for things in the dark wardrobe but still OK. The spa is good, not great and there is a small charge to use it, even although I thought that it should be free if you were a guest. Food is wonderful with the Hungarian Goulash etc. but wait til you go down for breakfast. Second to none. The choice is superb and all freshly cooked. The hotel is within reach of the hub of Budapest, the food market, the Danube and all the other tourist attractions. Highlights of Budapest are the Spas, the House of Terror, the Food Market, the Food, Goulash soup, the Spas and the Zara breakfast, oh and did I say the Spas. The outdoor Spa in winter is bracing to walk through snow to enter but once you're in, so warm.

1 Thank Ralph F
Dear Guest,

it is really complimenting to compare the service of our four star superior hotel with the service of a Dubai hotel. We try to do our best and despite of our best efforts we fail - at least according some reviews. Fortunately not in your case. The choice and the fresh ingredients are really far above the average four star hotels' offer, but reading such satisfied reviews, it is worth for it.

I hope you will return when the rooftop outside pool is in operation to enjoy the view of the city.

Many thanks for your review and scores and best regards,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

We recently stayed at the Zara hotel, and have to say we do not have a bad word to say about it. Rooms were very warm and comfortable, hotel reception staff could not do enough to ensure our stay was relaxed and easy.
The only thing... The wellness spa on the top floor was lovely overall, but they did allow children in (splashing around and being noisy) which wasn't very relaxing! But overall I would definitely stay again!
Oh and one more thing- was slightly embarrassed to be English as some English guests there were pretty rude and demanding to the staff ! There is no need to be they are fabulous at their jobs.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Guest,

many thanks for your overhelming attributes. Do not shame yourself for some unpolite guests as it may happen nowadays in almost all hotels and with all guests from all over the world. The same is valid for naughty children. Our staff is trained to deal with such guests, although our tools are limited. Many thanks for preticting my staff.

I really appreciate your high scores.