“Wonderful people”

Ranked #39 of 333 Hotels in Budapest
göteborg
“Wonderful people”
Reviewed June 17, 2012

A very pretty hotel with excellent facilities. The staff are extremely helpful and i would highly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (479)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Walton
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Former Intercontinental Hotel completely refurbished and restored. Bright airey reception area and lounge. Comfortable and relaxing bar on first floor. Rooms not overly big but met all standard requirements and even brought in a kettle for us when we found our room did not have one. Nothing was too much trouble and the staff were very helpful. A great extensive buffet breakfast that catered well for all tastes and cultures. Again service extremely good. Plenty of bars and restaurants close by too. Free wifi. Plasma tv.
Hotel is conveniently located for metro/tram/bus links within the city of Pest so you can easily get to the sights but location a bit seedy late at night. Great location for a short city break.

1 Thank janWalton
, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Dear Guest,

I really appreciate your lovely comment. We are very proud to the quality of service and our staff and I'm really happy that we could meet your requirements as well.

Many thanks and best regards,
Leuven, Belgium
Reviewed June 17, 2012

We were impressed from the moment we stood before the building. Stepping inside, we were welcomed warmly by an army of staff, treating us like nobel rock stars.
The design is classy, but never arrogant, beautiful, but never pretentious, and very stylish and modern, without losing touch with tradition. Very original, but never kitsch.
The rooms aren't huge, but they have everything you need, and find an exquisite balance between being 'design', and fancy, and remaining very warm.
We were quite surprised ordering room service. We only wanted to stay in, and have a lazy evening, but ordering room service at late hours, we were surprised by exquisite dishes, at very affordable prices, and the staff really went the extra mile to make it special for us. The princess I shared a room with happened to have her birthday, and they saw to it that the experience was as special as anything we might 've experienced in this beautiful city.
We didn't have time to enjoy the spas, fitness or roof top pools, but we couldn't help but go and take a peek: it all looked magnificent.
The breakfast... well, if you can't find what you like, and more, it's time you realise you aren't lisa minelli, because the offer is more than extensive!
Hold on!
This doesn't sound objective anymore, does it.
Ok. Here goes. We found a spot on the 3rd floor hall carpet. A spot!!!!
Apart from that small shocking experience: thumbs up from the baby & the baby.

Room Tip: Avoid other hotels.
6 Thank Alex V
, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

Wow, I’ve have never read such a lovely and amusing review like yours. I cannot thank you enough for these great words. Whoever will read this review must become curious about our hotel.
Sorry for the shocking experience – the spot – we are working hard to fix it in order to become absolutely spotless although I understand your sarcastic words behind this observation.

We would be honored if you woul visit us again with your princess.
Perth
Reviewed June 15, 2012

I and my fiancee stayed at Continenal Zara for two weeks. We were there during December 2011 and January 2012 for 14 days.

Thus unlike other visitors who stay for a couple of days we stayed and tried to live the city for a brief moment. To put it in perspective, the sight seeing and tours on offer in Budapest are for three days maximum.

The booking was done from Australia directly with the hotel. It was handled very professionally and promptly.

The booking was not of the pre-paid type. Thus the price was a little higher and based on having a credit card.

On the way to Budapest and the hotel I was wondering what I will see of the old charm of Europe, that past of an empire co-capital. Customs control was quick without much time wasting.

The prebooked transport to the hotel with the airport transfer bus worked wonderfully easy. Highly recommended you do this as you will save yourself a lot of money.

As we were neared our hotel we witnessed a long line of people waiting to go inside a public kitchen. This was extremely confronting considering we had only seen such things on TV about New York or Chicago. First impressions were of a grey city. Many of the grand and beautiful building along the big avenues were blackened from polution and eaten by the ravages of time and communism. I looked at it with great sadness because the history and beauty were visible under the surface. It's what happenes when people's private property is nationalised. However, the return of private property to its former owners has meant that the buildings are being returned to their former glory.

The check in at the hotel didn't go smoothly. I was told that the cost for my stay would be deducted from my credit card. This was not the payment arrangement I had made with the hotel and this advance charging was never disclosed to me prior to my arrival. I was told that it had to be done because they had cases where people had absconded from the hotel without paying. I paid reluctantly.

It is my personal opion that for the cost charged the double room, compared to other hotels, was a little small, the bathroom was definetely small, the wardrobe was very small and there was no electric kettle.

The room was clean, well decorated and well maintained.

For the remainder of the stay the reception staff were very polite, spoke very good english and very helpful with all of our queries.

Tourists visiting Budapest can not book tours themselves, it has to be done through a hotel so that it can be prepaid. Everything in Budapest was about advance payment. As a western person I found this approach of booking for things very strange and based on complete distrust, it was all about getting the persons money first. Maybe this had to do with the economic situation in the country. Hungary has had to get emergency loans from the IMF and the EU.

The hotel is located in the old Jewish quarter, on Dohany Utca (Tobacco Street). It is 5min from an underground station. This means you can go anywhere you want. The metro system is effective and easy to use.

Intrestingly enough the Synagogue on Dohany Utca is the second biggest in the world and architecturally very beautiful. It is also guarded 24/7 by the police.

The hotel food, unfortunately, whilst plentiful and fresh became boring considering we stayed for 14 days. It was incredible that the menu didn't change during this period. This was a major disappointment.

The distance to the main shopping street, Vaci Utca, and tourists attraction was about 10-15min walking. We enjoyed our walks to the city centre and elsewhere, especially Andrassy Utca - the former boutiques filled street. Many of the streets in the city centre are wide, very wide and very beautiful in winter with all the Christmass decorations.

There is easy and quick access to a couple of big and well known streets, such as Rackozy Utca and Erzsebet Korut.

Behind the hotel and after a 20min walk is the large City Park and the famous Szechenyi Thermal Baths - which one must visit ! Yes that's right, the visit will be an experience to remember, it's dealing with the people I am talking about and the baths themselves. You are most likely to receive a bed sheet for the price of a towel. So be prepared, you've been warned.

The spa in the hotel was nice but the sauna was a little small.

Try to use the metro and the tram system. It's great fun. We did this and enjoyed it thoroughly. Buda Castle was wonderful as was the old Hungarian Parliament and the river cruise, and a couple of other tours to nearby towns.

The resturants food was a little expensive but the decor was out of this world.

The prices in the boutiques were also very high.

We met some very very nice people in Hungary. And it's the overall experience that we treasure. It's why we travel, why we seek to experience other cultures.

Thank you Budapest and see you next time.

Room Tip: Ask for wardrobe width and depth measurements, electric kettle availability, bathroom size and payme...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your unique guidance for the Tripadvisor readers.

I'm sorry that you felt disturbed about pre-authorisation of your credit card upon check in. Please be ensured this is a standard in all international hotels all over the world if the room is not pre-paid. It is even a standard for the extras only, if the room is pre-paid. There is no extra cost for any credit card payment versus cash payment.

I'm really sorry that you found the room a bit small and there was no kettle in your room. In the stadards rooms we offer this amenity on request only.

I think it is a complete misunderstanding that tours cannot be booked directly and has to be prepaid due to the IMF loan. One can book any tours in any agency or even from agents on the street - all on the same price - but reservation means purchasing the ticket.

I don't fully understand your comment about the menus – whether you meant our breakfast or halfboard selection or dinner. In case of breakfast we offer a wide range of choice so you can compose your own various and healthy meal. What the halfboard menus are concerned you are right,one cannot have different menu for 14 days. Next time however please do not hesitate to tell your wishes to our staff and I'm sure that we can satisfy all of your requests. Our daily much menus - daily two different menus - vary on a daily basis. During dinner our menu selection is wide enough, I think.

I hope you enjoyed your long stay i Budapest and had the opportunity to explore even hiddden gems and altogether you gained nice experiences and you will visit us again.

Many thanks and best regards,
Wantage, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Checkin was smooth, but on getting to my room I found that i had been given a smoking room which was smelly and smokey as expected. I tried to explain that I had a strong desire not to have a smoking room, but was told that the hotel was full and that I had not requested it. The attitude was very much that it was my fault and to be honest I felt they were rude. I was not given a choice on booking so I presumed that there were only N/S rooms. My fault for not doing a detailed check!! and Yeego.com fault for not making it clear.

I put this behind me and went to the nice, small gym. There was even an outdoor pool.

The first floor bar was nice with nuts, chocolates and popcorn all free. I had dinner in the restaurant which was ok if a little disjointed with different waiters not knowing who had taken orders or for what.

It was obvious from breakfast was that it was less business and more leisure.

I begged for a late checkout as I had a long meeting, to which they eventually agreed too.

I liked .......the room design (if a little) small, the comfy bed, good/subtle aircon, gym and free wi-fi

I didn't like........reception attitude or service, lack of tea & coffee facility in room and paying too much for a taxi from the hotel to airport. I checked price before I took it, but had no time just to get a taxi. Normally the airport to hotel is the most expensive ride, but the hotel obviously has preferred bad rates with a taxi company.

Overall, the hotel was not too bad, I wouldn't go back with Hiltons and lovely Mamaison's being the same price.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Wg284
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time and sharing your experiences with the readers.
I'm sorry to hear about the misunderstandings in regards of your room reservation. After a bad first impression it's very hard to be made up and enjoy the trip. I can't emphasize enough how much I'm sorry for the rude behavior of my colleagues. I do assure you that it won't happen again. The good news is however that we have decided to convert the only smoking floor into non smikong floor due to increased demand and expectations.

I would really appreciate if you give us another chance and I'm sure that you won't be disappointed.

Best regards,
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2012

The hotel was excellent, free internet, friendly staff, first class, could not fault anything to do with this hotel or our stay.

Breakfast was excellent

5 Thank Anita E
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your praiseful feedback. I was very happy reading your lovely and satisfied words.

Looking forward to seeing you again.

Best regards,
Merseyside
Reviewed June 10, 2012 via mobile

A beautiful hotel in the Jewish quarter of Pest. The service was wonderful with lovely food. We stayed in a standard room which didn't have a great view but other than that the hotel was exceptional. We stayed for 3 nights but it would have been lovely to stay for longer. The spa was lovely with a great jacuzzi and perfect infinity pool. Worth it's 4 stars!

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Trekkin Traveller
Dear Guest,

I really appreciate your review. I’m very glad that your expectations could have been satisfied with our services. I especially happy that you visited our ARAZ Restaurant as well and you loved it.

Please be our Guest again.

Sincerely yours,