“Beautiful hotel.”

Continental Hotel Budapest
Ranked #41 of 334 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed January 6, 2012

We stayed here in summer 2010 - I think the hotel had recently opened as the spa was not yet open and we got an exceptionally good rate.

Our room was compact but well designed so we actually had adequate space, and the decor was stylish and attractive. The breakfast in the beautiful restaurant was ample.

The hotel is on a small street without spectacular views, but is a short walk from the river and centre.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank sparklebcn
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2012

Dear Guest,

our hotel is open for more that half year already, so I can ensure you that the spa is open for decades already. Unfortunately the hotel is not located on the bank of the Danube river, but Budapest is not the Danube alone! The Opera, the Andrassy Boulevard, the Great Synagoge and plenty of bars, restaurants including the famous ruine pubs are all within walking distance.

Reviewed December 31, 2011

We (my wife and me) arrived at the Continental Zara at noon on 15 December 2011 after a long flight from Toronto (Canada) and an aircraft transfer in London. Our bags did not arrive with us. Much consternation of course but immediate and complete consolation and assistance from the front desk staff of the hotel. All required toilet materials were supplied, and the staff began the process of phoning to follow up with the tracking number (the bags arrived one and two days later). Beyond that initial incident, the staff at all levels continued to supply friendly and helpful advice and service. The hotel is located in the old Jewish quarter of Pest (a site we selected because of the enormous amount of history involved in that section of the city. The hotel has been renovated within the past five years. Facilities are superb, rooms are spacious and clean, the hotel restaurant is excellent as is the breakfast (included in the price of the room). But the pride of the hotel is the staff. Many congratulations to them all!

15  Thank Horst99

Dear Guest,

many thanks for your congratulations. I think providing basic assitance and help for guest who's luggage was lost is a minimun in a hotel. I was especially proud to hear that you were mostly satisfied with the staff which is our jewel apart from the design of the hotel.

Best regads,

Reviewed December 31, 2011

We stayed in this hotel for 5 days and it was really good. Nice rooms, not so big, but we don't need that. A nice bathroom, with everything you need.
Also is the location good, we walked to every monument. You can take the bus but if you walk you see more en you do everything you want.
There was one thing that was a little bit less and that was the organisation at breakfast. Breakfast itself was very good but some people couldn't sit or had to wait a long time.
But I would go back to this hotel.

9  Thank jessydw

Dear Guest,

thanks for your excellent scores despite the waiting time in the breakfast room. Unfortunately it happens occasionally on weekends when most of our guest come too late and at the same time for breakfast.
I look forward to your promised return!

Reviewed December 26, 2011

I am a Hungarian living abroad and thought of booking a hotel for visiting friends in Budapest. I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights and it was my best choice. I had a good deal on a room price and also as I know the city, I was confident to pick this hotel as walking distance from the city center and also it was opened - if remember well - 2 years ago, so kind of expected a nice, new environment inside. The building itself is old, but done up really nicely, the rooms are well furnished, great style. It has air-conditioning but was also really happy to be able to open the window and let some fresh air into the room in the morning. I like it warm, but the heating was set to 23 degrees and found it too hot especially at night and did not manage to change that to lower temperature. Bathroom was clean and also in modern style. I also found the beds very comfortable.
Staff was friendly and helpful, always answered to questions right away and helped me carry my luggage.
I did not have breakfast, so can't refer to it, but I do know their restaurant Araz and it has a delicious menu.
Only thing I found weird that it has a table with plugs for computer but no chair. There is a small Barcelona stool which - I guess - could be used for putting it in front of the table, but assume it would not be comfortable for working on a laptop for more hours. Bonus, there is free Wifi in the room, which I personally found convenient.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
9  Thank henider

Dear Guest,

I am sure you have wide range of comparisons of hotels since you are Hungarian. I was happy to read that we did not fail. It's a pity that you did not try our ARAZ Restaurant since it is one of the best in Budapest. I like to advice you that we have continued to convert standard rooms for corporate rooms with proper desk and chairs, making the rooms even comfortable.

Many thanks for your excellent scores and best regards,

Reviewed December 22, 2011

I've spent four days in this hotel, beggining of Dec 2011, with my wife celebrating our 15th anniversary. Booked the hotel on internet and honestly did not know what to expect. I mean it looks great on pictures but you never know what you get when you get there.

Few important facts:
Location: Hotel is in perfect area, 10-15 mins walking distance from Vaci street, settled in quite street paralel to Korut Lajos bulevard.
Rooms: Nicely decorated but I would say they miss additional 5-6 sqm to get full confortable room. You'll get small working desk but no chair. Everything looks brand new.
Hotel: beautifull lobby, there's piano inside and every evening you can listen live music perfomed by different artists playing popular and classic pieces.
Food and restorant: Breakfast was great and I don't need to say anything more. We had few dinners in the hotel as well, service was perfect, food was good and prices were cheapper than in some restaurants we visited those days.
Did not used welness center.
Important note for shoppers: there are few small outlet stores near by hotel

So, in few words we'll go there again.

Room Tip: No matter which room you get it will be quite due to perfect noise isolation but unfortunatelly all...
5  Thank IvanMilijic
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2011

Dear Guest,
thank you for your recent review. I agree, some rooms are small, but we have several room types for a small premium and upon request we can provide them if they are available. I was happy to read that you dined in our restaurant too and you found it better than other fancy restaurants in town. I know that the pianist in the lobby - especially around the Chrismas tree - makes an excellent atmosphere in the looby. Although I know it very well, but it is so good to read it from our guests!
I feel good that we could properly contribute to your wedding anniversary!

Reviewed December 21, 2011

I really can't praise this hotel too highly. I've been travelling for almost six months so far on several continents and so far Zara will come near the top of my list. The staff were super helpful from my arrival to my departure. The room was clean and comfortable and the hotel has a lovely ambience. To top it all the breakfast, which I wasn't expecting that much from was fabulous. I love Budapest anyway, and staying here made my stay all the better.

• Stayed: December 2011
9  Thank Digeridoodingo

Dear Guest,
what can I add to your praising words? Really nothing except my thanks and except my wish to return!
KIndest regards,

Reviewed December 21, 2011

Visited the hotel in December 2011 with my boyfriend. We wanted a comfortable base from which we could explore the city which wouldn't totally break the bank. The hotel absolutely exceeded our expectations and we had a wonderfully relaxing stay.

The staff were incredibly attentive and very friendly. They really seem to take pride in the hotel and you can feel it as soon as you walk in. All spoke very good English.

Breakfast was the highlight of the trip. Big buffet - hot and cold choices were all delicious. We went to the gym every morning so we could have two courses every day. Breakfast runs until 10.30, so you can have a lie-in without missing out.

Wellness centre - gym has two treadmills, cross trainer, bikes, free weights and weight machines. It was very quiet throughout our stay so more than enough equipment. Swimming pool is not huge but perfect for a few lazy laps.

things to note - there is a 60EUR deposit payable on arrival but you can do it with your credit card if you don't have cash. There is also city tax to pay on departure but don't worry, it is not a significant amount of money. Not sure the exact percentage but based on 3 nights we paid approx 3EUR.

Lots of business travellers during the weeks which gave way to couples and older families at the weekend. Very international group of guests - didn't hear many British accents. Very few children, which added to the relaxation!!

7  Thank OliviaOyl

Dear Guest,
I think your deatiled review is a great help in selecting our hotel. So, I am very greatful for it. I am happy too, that we made your stay as memorable as possible. It was also good to read that you used our well equipped fitness center a lot, as most of the guests do not have time for it, although it is a good gym. Yes, there is a deposit for incidentals upon check in (either in cash or by credit card) just like in any other international hotel all over the word. I am sure you agreed with this policy and were not embarrassed like some non experienced travellers. I liked how you described the clientele of th hotel. I read from it that you enjoyed this international mixture of guests.
Many thanks for your complimenting - sometimes even exaggareted (luxury) - words and best regards,