“Great hotel, ideal location for city break” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Continental Hotel Budapest

Continental Hotel Budapest
Ranked #37 of 342 Hotels in Budapest
Ciarrigal
“Great hotel, ideal location for city break”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2011

My husband and I stayed in the Zara Continental hotel in Budapest for the October bank holiday from Friday Oct 28th - Monday October 31st.
Check-in was efficient and friendly. The hotel lobby is stunning, modern and chicand staff are well presented, friendly and helpful. We were shown to our room which was overlooking the smaller courtyard - not a great view, but we were in the heart of the city so were not expecting a great view. The room was small but clean and the decor was modern - really nice. Bathroom was small & clean. The rooms were airconditioned.
Breakfast was included in our rate and it was buffet style. The range was very good, including fruit, cheese, hams, breads, pastries, pancakes, scrambled and fried eggs, bacon, as well as cereal etc. It was totally self service and was a bit mayhem as the restaurant was not able to cope with the numbers that decended on it from around 8-10am.
On our first morning we arrived down for breakfast around 9.30. We had to wait around 15mins to get into the restaurant and then scramble for a table. Some of the foods had run out at this point and there were not enough floor staff on to clear the tables and also restock the supplies as well as provide cups, glasses etc. The second morning we arrived for breakfast around 9am and it was equally as caotic. Third morning we arrived for breakfast at 7.30 and it was busy but we didnt have to queue and there was a greater range on the buffet. A more relaxed experience but there was a queue forming within
The cocktail lounge on the mezzanine level was lovely, it was overlooking the lobby and it was possible to get snack food and tea/coffee/drinks. It had a lovely relaxing athmosphere but the service was quiet slow. We had a club sandwich after we checked in and it was lovely. Well presented and tasty.
The location of the hotel was superb. It was a few minutes walk to the nearest metro station and it was also possible to walk to the city center from the hotel - if your into walking.
We did not eat in the hotel in the evening as we wanted to sample some of the restaurants around Budapest outside of the hotel.
Overall I would thoroughly recommend this hotel for its location and abience but with a small warning on the service.

Room Tip: Go for breakfast early to avoid the queues!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Ciarrigal
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this review, November 9, 2011
Dear Ciariggal,
many thanks for your honest and constructive review. I have to admit that despite of our plenty of efforts on enhencing the service in our breakfast room there are still certain dates and periods when the breakfast room is crowded. Nowadays I can say it happens as often as in any other similar category hotel due to lower occupancy, change in the clientele and because not all the room rates include breakfast. What the Gallery Cafe in the mezzanine is concerned I was surprised to hear of the low service. Although it is a lounge type, more relaxing area the waiters should have been more efficient.
You should have tried out our ARAZ Restaurant too since it is very popular in Budapest. THis is a good reason to return!
Best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (468)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2011

I stayed in the Continental Hotel Zara with my partner for 4 nights in late September. We got a great deal on our stay so we were not expecting as much as we got!! The hotel arranged an airport transfer for us to the hotel so we were picked up by a very nice driver who was waiting for us in arrivals. On arrival at the hotel, we were greeted by the doormen, who helped us with our bags and took us to the reception area. Check in was sinple and fuss free and we were allocated a room on the 5th floor - 522. We headed up to our room and the concierge brought our luggage to the room and explained the air conditioning system, television, safe, and mini bar to us.

Our room was small but perfect for what we needed, furnishings were great and everything was spotless. Bed was huge too! Bathroom was small but perfect - you might struggle if you are a very tall person as the shower head didnt go up that high! Another minor gripe was that the shower doors in our room didnt quite meet when closed, so a lot of water got on the floor - have a look Zara and try and fix it, the floor got very wet when we showered.

The concierge were extremely helpful when it came to directions, printing out walking maps for us and advising us about the area when we wanted to visit a restaurant in a not so good area. The area of the hotel itself didn't look great when we arrived (it was dark) but in daylight we familiarised ourselves with the area and it was a great location - The beautiful synagogue was around the corner, and it is very easy for the metro, trams and buses, we had no trouble getting around at all.

We didn't have an evening meal at the hotel, but the breakfast was fine, plenty of it! The rooftop spa area was lovely, we wished we had stayed longer as the weather was so good we could have had a few days by the pool. The jacuzzi bath was a godsend after our first day sightseeing, and watching the sun set whilst in the rooftop pool was a perfect experience.

It was our anniversary part way through our trip, and we returned to our room after a busy day sightseeing, feeling exhausted to be greeted by a bottle of champagne, a fresh fruit platter with some handmade sweets and a card congratulating us. This was a real treat and a very much appreciated personal touch.

All in all we had a fantastic trip, we would not hesitate to return to the Zara, and we have recommended it to all our friends on the back of our experience!

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room, and had great sleep!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank ColeAds
Dear ColeAds,
thank you for your excellent description of your experiences and for the great scores! Some of the shower sealings really shifted since the opening of the hotel - as it happens wiht most of the new buildings. The process of the correction of these faults is in progress already under the guarantee terms. I was pleased to hear how much we surprised you with our anniversary gifts.Let me take this opportunity too to congratule you!
I appreciate your efforts recommending our hotel among your friend and I hope you will have the possibility to retunr us shortly.
Kindest regards,
Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

Zara Hotel did not surprise me at all, it just has met all my expectations. It was as luxurious as I expected and me and my mother we have both enjoyed our stay very much.
Staff - very polite, friendly and helpful at reception, not very attentive at restaurant
Room - as I requested - non smoking, courtyard view, nice, not very spacious, but would be ok if there were 2 chairs/armchairs and not just 1 when 2 people are staying, bathrobes and slippers available upon request free of charge, wi-fi worked very well, beds very comfortable
Bathroom - very nice decorated, loved luxurious bath cosmetics but would prefer it to smell more unisex - it was to masculine for me, small chair to put the clothes on would be nice
Restaurant - we had dinner once, it was good but nothing extraordinary, prices are ok and atmosphere relaxing
Breakfast - I just loved it and was looking forward to it each morning, it was great start of the day, it was of great quality and quantity as well, we were always lucky to find a free table and there was always enough food..just one thing - "nutella" was not a real nutella and my mum did not like it, it was not creamy but powdery
Spa area - quite small but always found a place to sit in sauna, some place to relax after sauna would be good, showers are piece of design but not very "user friendly" - hard to find out how to turn them on, staff was very helpful
Hotel is very well situated but not in a very nice neighbourhood. Everything was in walking distance for us. Hotel is very nice, clean and great value for money.
We have had a great stay and would stay at Zara in future. I would recommend this hotel to my friends as well. All the above mentioned minuses are just things that could be improved and I will forget them as soon as I finish this review. I will just keep nice memories of Budapest and Zara Hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank Lusi_2412
Dear lucia_hosalova,
I was more than happy to read your review "upgrading" us to luxury hotel. I appreciate your compliments, but I have to admit our hotel is officially 4 star superior category hotel, although we all strive for quality and guest satisfaction. I also appreciate your constructive "minus" remarks, and I xcan ensure you, that your words are taken very seriously.
It would me my pleasure if you would return in the near future.
Thanks and regards,
Manhattan Beach, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here, the rooms were spacious and the amenities were great. We took full advantage of the indoor and outdoor pools, and even had some time to lay out on the rooftop lounge chairs at the pool, and take it the amazing views. The hotel also has a fantastic wellness center with EXCELLENT massages. We did not eat dinner at the restaurant Araz, but the buffet style breakfast was delicious. It's a great place to stay as an alternative the ultra-touristy area near the Danube. The Jewish Quarter has tons of restaurants, is close to a very useful train and bus station, and is walkable to all the main sites of the city. I definitely feel that you get the amenities of a luxury hotel, with the vibe of a boutique hotel, best of both worlds. The staff was friendly and helpful as well. The concierge set us up with an excellent Jewish Heritage tour, that we really enjoyed. The only word of advice I could give is: the staff strongly pushes certain restaurants and activities that they clearly have deals with (very touristy attractions, tours and places to eat). We wisely ignored their advice (except for the Jewish Heritage tour), and struck out on our own and found amazing restaurants and things to do (with a little assistance from lonleyplanet.com, and the New York Times travel section).

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Srjenkins19
Dear Sjerkins19,
many thanks for your - in overall - nice and positive review. I can imagine how much you enjoyed our roof top indoor and outdoor pools and the massages. It's a pity you did not try out our ARAZ Restaurant since it is one of the most popular in Budapest even among our hotel guests, a lot of them are repaet guests. I am very sorry if you had the feeling that our Concierge recommended too touristic places for you. I can ensure you these restaurants are really good restaurants we regularly check them and we would definitely not recommend any of them if we would receive any negative feedback from our clients. I was a little bit sad for the overall scoring as the down scoring was not explained neither for the Sleeping quality nor for the Rooms paragraphs
Anyway thanks for your kind review.
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

We stayed for three nights. The location was very good, in the Jewish quarter ,15 min. Walk from vacy St., breakfast was very good. The rooms were clean, but had bad smell coming from the bathroom( we stayed on the first floor), and noise from the street in the early morning.

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank R0nitR
Dear R0nitR,
thanks for your review, although I would have appreciated to call our attention to any fault, break-down on the spot to be able to react immeadiately. By speaking up we could have avoided to ruin your stay and return with bad menories.Our guests are usually not disturbed by the street noise, since even the buses are electical ones. I can certainly understand if someone is sensitive sleeper, especially far from the home bed, can be disturbed by the street noises on the first floor. We have however 6 guest floors and two inner courtyard not speaking about the rooms overlooking on the 2 side streets!
I kindly ask you to call my attention to your next arrival for making the necessary actions.
Thanks and regards,
thessaloniki
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2011

My husband and I stayed for just one night in this hotel, during our stay in Budapest. We had chosen it because of the very good remarks and its spa facilities. Also, we had found a good price from the booking webpage. However, the hotel didn't come up to our expectations. Although they upgrade our room from double to executive, I didn't like it that much. The receptionist forgot to tell us that the spa facilities were free of charge,so we thought that we had to pay and didn't use them! This was my biggest disappointment as Budapest is well known for its bath and the hotel used to be a turkish bath. Also, the breakfast room was crowded from 9-10am and the buffets were empty. Although the staff tried to fill them, you couldn't find any fresh juice for example. Also, the coffee machine did awful coffee. Not something you expect from such a highly appreciated hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dremland
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this review, November 11, 2011
Dear Dreamland,
I am very sorry to read that you thought the spa is not included in your room rate. In most of the hotels it is included just like in our hotels with rare exceptions. We have staff enough to answer any question to avoid such dissatisfactions. Although we serve coffee from a machine the coffee itself is Jacobs Krönung a premium category coffee! I apologize for the crowded breakfast between 9 and 10, it is really difficult to handle such situations when more than 100 people come for breakfast at the same time.
I sincerly hope you will give us a chance to proove that our hotel is not worth for 3,5 rating.
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2011

This was the coolest hotel I've stayed in. Granted, there are some design flaws inherint in it being cool (ie bathroom mirror was so high I couldnt see all my face) but that's OK.
We really liked the following:
-Breakfast (something for everyone: a coffee drink machine, several types of juice, many types of eggs enc scrambled, w/ cheese, salad, etc, sandwich fixings, many types of breads, a few types of mini croissants, cereals, fresh fruits whole and sliced, museli, hotdogs, and on and on (it was a very large breakfast). Breakfast stetting also pleasant.
-Dinner restaurant (ate there three times, service was so-so but the food was realy fantastic quality and we always walked in w/o a reservation
-Exterior and history are beautiful
-Value for the money - incredible bang for the buck.

We didn't like:
-Our room the first two nights faced a hostel adn we got woken up, but they moved in.

So-so:
-Location. It wasnt in the over-tourist area which we liked, but its a good 15 min walk to get there which isn't bad. Also, the area its in is cool.
-Pool. Really nice they had it but the spa was a little cold. IN the summer the rooftop pool would be a huge plus.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank LaurenKeith
Dear LaurenKeith,
thank you for theattribute luxurious. For your information, our hotel's official category is 4 star superior, but your title sounds very flattering for us! I appreciated very much your detailed travelog on the breakfast selection and how much you liked our restaurant since hotel guests usually go out for dinner. Our Zara Restaurant is one of the best in town and I it was good to read your feedback about it. I am sorry to hear that you were bothered by the guests of the neighbouring hostel. Fortunately this noise is really very seldom, it does not happen more often than any other noise from the street.
I hope you returned hoem with nice memories.