“Lovely place.”

Oleander Hostel
Ranked #359 of 638 Specialty Lodging in Budapest
“Lovely place.”
Reviewed January 12, 2012

Great location, lovely helpful staff and a really nice atmosphere - the staff definitely go out of their way to help you enjoy your stay in Budapest, recommending places to see and helping you to get there. The only drawbacks were that the rooms come directly off the common area so it's a bit noisy at night when the hostel is crowded and there was also a queue for showers in the morning. But overall a great hostel.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Bratislava
Reviewed June 18, 2010

Recently stayed 4 nights at OH. The location in Pest is central and ideal, within walking distance of many of the cultural sights of Pest and Buda. (Opera house, The Basilica, The chain bridge crossing over to The Royal palace (Castle district), the beautiful heritage areas of Buda, Fisherman bastion, St Matthias church and others.
We first contacted the hostel via their website and received a prompt and helpful reply from the owner.
Ideally located within the tranquil courtyard of a charming historic building in a very central city area, the OH offers spacious and peaceful surroundings, all modern comforts,and easy access to the center of Pest and Buda. We couldn't have chosen a more convenient location for shopping, restaurants, bars and public transportation.
Our hosts were extremely helpful in helping us orientate to a city we'd never been to before. We especially appreciated their flexibility for our late check out on Sunday, after a long Saturday night partying !
I have no hesitation in recommending this hostel to anyone planning a visit to Budapest. The value was excellent.
You need look no further.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ortexinlove
Reviewed June 13, 2010

STAY at this hostel! WE LOVE IT! The staff is very kind and helpful! . First of all, you have to stay in this hostel because is very cheap, because is a perfect home feeling base to explore Budapest and because this fantastic city needs at least 3 days to do the most of the sightseeing. The hostel is a very cozy apartment in a very safe area and is the cleanest place we have been to. The rooms are simple and clean, it has all the requirements that a budget minded traveler may need. If you expect hotel comfort for this cheap price and you are not aware that this is a place for budget minded travelers, you have to go somewhere else. There are 2 bathrooms which are cleaned every day. There is 24 hours hot showers. The bathroom is one of the cleanest I have seen. The only downside is that they don't accept credit cards but instead, the manager gives you the chance to choose on which currency you want to pay, in Euros or in local money, since the currency on their website is only in Euro. The staff is not all the time at the reception but there is no complaint since nowhere is written that they have 24 hours reception. The staff was very clear about directions pointed on a free map and also provided with a set of keys which was very good system because it gives you enough independence, since you don't need all the time the staff to let you in. Also, they provide a phone number which you can call 24/7 just in case of emergency or an important question, but I didn't need to call them because I'm an adult and I can watch myself without problems :-). Anyway, if you have to call them for an emergency, you have to be a bit patient and wait for them because they are not living in the same area where the hostel itself is located. They are so nice that let us keep our luggage in the hostel for the whole day since our train was scheduled at 11 pm, it means, 12 hours after our check out time. We really appreciate that ! If you are in Budapest, and looking for a safe and pleasant stay, just go and have a look on this hostel. For sure, you will like it as we did.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Keikobag
Reviewed June 3, 2010

After booking for two nights I was so positively impressed that I decided to stay longer at Oleander Hostel. The location is perfect, central to all sights and to all metros, trams and bus connection lines. Beds are comfortable with fresh linen and towels provided. Bathrooms and kitchen areas are very clean. Staff are amazingly nice and helpfull, and will give you knowledgeable advice. I would highly recommend staying at this hostel especially for young and openminded budget travelers but not for those who are looking for a 5 stars hotel service because this is a youth hostel and you can move quite independently with your own keys and without curfew. If I ever come back to Budapest in the future I will certainly stay again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Globalgirl2010
Montevideo, Uruguay
Reviewed June 3, 2010

I stayed at this hostel for almost a week last April and had a great experience. I went there on the recommendation of my girlfriend, who had stayed there with a couple of friends last year and was very happy with the hostel overall. This was my first time in Budapest and I really enjoyed my stay in this awesome city. The hostel is extremely well located, very close to many attractions, and with fantastic prices. It is located in an old building on a quiet street, the place was clean and well equipped. The manager and assistant provided some very useful suggestions. When checking in, I was informed of the hostel's rules, which may seem a bit strict but I had no problem in following them. For example, there is a quiet policy at night which was generally followed by guests during my stay, except for two of them who did not seem to be happy with following this specific rule and left. I met other guests from South and North America and also Europe, and the atmosphere was really friendly and multicultural, which I really enjoy. We usually went out to one of the many great restaurants or bars nearby. I will surely stay in the Oleander hostel if I come back to Budapest.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Natan28
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed June 1, 2010

Close by another hostel that is suggested in the Lonely Planet so we looked there first but found this hidden gem which was super clean and the staff exceptionally helpful. Great atmosphere, easy to enjoy the space. Not a party hostel either so nice if you don't want to have people partying into the wee hours when you have to get up early for a train or bus or just want to check out Budapest, but can still be a great place to meet people!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple