“Really clean but...”

Ranked #370 of 644 Specialty Lodging in Budapest
Melbourne, Australia
“Really clean but...”
Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

The hostel is pretty good: it's very clean with sheets and towels available, the staff are quite friendly and the wifi is good. It has a small bar fridge to keep food as well as a kettle and microwave but no proper kitchen.

However, the beds are pretty hard (I've stayed in lots of hostels and this was the least comfortable I've experienced) and there is little privacy in the dorms. Also there is no air conditioning or fans so even in June it was too hot to sleep properly (and I'm from Australia!). The shower runs cold and hot sporadically and sometimes there was no shower curtain so it's not such a pleasant experience.

It has a good location close to Nyugati train station but is at least 20 minutes to walk to Déak Ter if you don't want to pay for the metro and 15 minutes to the Danube and Margaret Island. In saying that, I didn't see many hostels in the Pest city centre so maybe this is as close as you get for the price?

It's a good hostel but next time I visit Budapest I'd look for somewhere in the Jewish quarter (near the ruin bars) or closer to Déak Ter as prices are pretty much the same.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Rhyl, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 30, 2014

I did booked a room at this place and i get the booking reference and everything 1 hour later i recieved an e-mail from the managment they said the room is not available due over booking!I do understand this can occur but the Guy who send me a letter he booked me in to another Hotel without my consent!!!I don`t know what to say....won`t reccomend to anyone.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank pole79
Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed November 29, 2013

I stayed at this great hostel for 6 nights and I was quite sad I had to leave the city and hostel. The hostel was located in a cool large stone building built around a beautiful centre courtyard. When I stayed it was getting cold in the city and even snowed a bit but inside it was always beautifully warm and I always looked forward to arriving back after exploring Budapest many beautiful streets. The hostel was clean and has a good dinning room area with a big table which is good for socialising with other travellers and the staff too, which were amazing, so helpful with things to see around the city, relaxed and friendly, made it feel like I was just staying over at some friends house.
Next time I return to Budapest I'll definitely being staying again, which will hopefully even be soon.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Krakow, Poland
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Homy, cosy, and a great atmosphere hostel with no limit coffee waiting for you. Nice surprise with the breakfast served up till midday, so no hurry with getting up. The conditions are okey, since during our trip we've seen most of possible sollutions; great sence of humour of Matt and his staff makes your day even if cloudy outside. Perfect location makes your day& night sightseig easy and comfortable. As we return to Budapest, we'll choose this place again for sure!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 6, 2013

great staff, clean beds, rooms, & bathrooms, friendly fellow travelers, free wifi and easy to access computers, good breakfast. I started my travels in budapest and liked this place so much that I stayed again when I returned at the end of my trip. Very happy with my experience on both occasions.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Umea, Sweden
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Despite the cheesy name, this place is awesome and the staff super friendly. I was enthusiastically greeted by my first name when I checked in and given a brief tour. Staff was very trusting, giving me the option to either pay upfront or pay when I checked out. There were three bathrooms for ten people and the place was very clean. The beds are fortunately not bunk beds and are quite comfortable, and sheets/towels are provided as well as large locking storage boxes next to each bed. Most of the other travelers were either solo or traveling with a friend, so they were easy to chat with and share experiences. The staff will do your laundry (and even hang it to dry) for a very reasonable 3 euros per load. Wifi was fast and reliable. The staff is also very attentive to guests' needs: the morning I left, the shower head broke and upon being notified the owner promptly rushed out and purchased a new one and replaced it. The only downside I can think of is that it's on a main road and so the traffic noise can be quite loud when trucks go by which might be a problem for light sleepers (just bring earplugs, problem solved!). Overall a great place in a decent part of Budapest, wouldn't hesitate to stay there again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 7, 2013

It was a cute place with lovely staff. However going in July meant that it was really hot and we were unable to open the window as the place is near a train station and on a main road which you can here. However great breakfast and homely atmosphere.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends