“Fun day of cooking in Budapest”

Chefparade Cooking School
Book In Advance
More Info
$114.00*
and up
Budapest Market Hall Tour and Cooking Class
More attraction details
Owner description: Chefparade Cooking School is contemporary cosmopolitan cooking studio where you can master the basics of Hungarian cooking in a fun and interactive atmosphere. Our hands-on courses give you the opportunity to cook and ask questions side-by-side with our Chefs. Learn about the basic ingredients and spices like paprika along with best cooking practices so that you’ll be able to regale your family and friends for a fantastic Hungarian dinner in your homecountry.The courses run in the late morning hours finishing with a lunch. Our classes are not only cooking classes, but you get the most information of Hungary and Budapest. People, traditions, moods, tastes, stories.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 attraction reviews
“Fun day of cooking in Budapest”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I e-mailed the school and asked if we could do both chocolate and Hungarian cooking on the same day. They said yes. They had a taxi pick us up at our hotel and deliver us to the grand central market in Budapest. Beata met us there and took us on a tour of the market. It's very beautiful but not as lively as some other markets we've been to in Europe, (Minsk and Yalta for example.) Beata picked out bread and meats and veggies and fruits. Then we went to her store to begin the chocolate making process. She was wonderful and we had fun learning to make incredible filled chocolates. She even had molds for our daughter to make hard chocolates. In between chocolate hardenings they served us a Hungarian breakfast of the items we got at the market. A second hardening we saw two brief videos on the making of chocolate. At the end of our wonderful morning with Beata Andrew came to the shop. He took us on a brief info filled tour of the Jewish quarter of Budapest and we stopped for a drink at a very eclectic bar/club. We then taxied to the main Chef Parade cooking school where we learned to cook Hungarian food. Two marvelous woman from the United States joined us for the class. Andrew is really laid back and incredibly knowledgeable about food. We did chicken paprika and goulash soup and sour cherry torts. After the cooking we had a wonderful meal where we sampled the results. If you want a break from looking at castles and cathedrals while you're in Europe consider a day of cooking and if you're in Budapest look no further than Chef Parade. The day of cooking was the highlight of my two weeks in Budapest and the Czech Republic.

Visited July 2013

Helsinki, Finland
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Had a great time”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We did a class on what could be described as Asian tapas (dim sum and co) with Mark. Overall a very positive experience. The booking process is smooth, you can even collect fidelity points that will give you a good discount later on. The location (Pava Street) was easily accessible, the room clean and completely fit for its purpose. The recipes were easy, Mark helped all along, every question was answered and you don't feel awkward to ask anything. We had fun, laughed a lot, the mood was great. The food turned out to be very tasty and it was a lot - it' s a very good thing that you can take the leftovers home. It lasted about three hours, as promised. They have a good wine selection that you can enjoy while cooking (one beverage is included, then you have to pay but it's a reasonable price). You get the recipes on paper during the class and they send them to you via email the day after.

New York City, New York
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Hungarian cooking class”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I took the premium option for the cooking class. It included a pick up by taxi and meeting my instructor Andras at the beautiful indoor market. Andras told me the history of the market and took me around to see all the vendors. He picked up some delicious strudels and scones for our breakfast at the market. From the market we went to the cooking school located in an upscale part of Budapest. The school is bright and clean and we made the menu that I had chosen earlier. The meal turned out delicious and we set down and ate it for lunch. when I departed Andras gave me a goody back with an apron, a bottle of Hungarian wine and a wonderful Hungarian cook book. This was a delightful experience and would do it again if and when I return to Hungary. I learn a lot because Andres was very knowledgeable and very personable. I would recommend adding this cooking school for anyone visiting Budapest.

Denver, Colorado, United States
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“A fun thing to do in Budapest”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I like to cook. I met Andras at the market. He is very nice and English was great. He was an exchange student in Texas. Then we went to kitchen. Very nice clean facilities. 3 course Hungarian meal. The cooking skill level was easy. Andras made it easy for us and we had great food at the end. Recipes are great and can easily be done at home. Have fun.

Melbourne, Australia
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Still undecided”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I was really looking forward to this experience after reading all the reviews. But I came away a tad underwhelmed. The class was fun, the recipes yummy. The booking process very accommodating
My negatives were;
-I was given the choice of a menu to cook. I HATE cooked fruit with a passion, so obviously did not choose the sour cherry soup. But when I got there, this was the only choice.
-Our guide/ teacher has probably been doing this too long. I know we tourists ask and say dumb things, but she was VERY jaded, her terse responses to some questions ensured I kept my mouth shut. I was even laughed at when I was washing my own dishes. Our attempts at the combined desert were roundly criticized and tut tutted, hello, who was supervising. maybe she (Anita?) was having a bad day
-we were given recipes and then the instructions on the day contradicted them in many ways, my recipe ended up full of crossings out and additions, this caused confusion and some frustration, as due to point two above, I was reluctant to ask too many questions, which when I did ask were dismissed like I was a bit slow
- the stoves needed serious servicing. It happened to every one, when you went to turn temperatures down for simmering, the flame would go out, and it took forever to try and start it up. I have gas at home, so I am used to managing it. one also felt like a naughty pupil when your flame went out, as only our teacher could re start it.
I am writing this review two months after the event, and whilst I enjoyed much of it, and make the main course quite regularly. I am still peeved about the sloppy and uncompromising nature of the guide/teacher

Visited May 2013
1 Thank 96fuad96
somloi, Manager at Chefparade Cooking School, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear 96fuad96,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, particularly because this is the kind of review that helps up to continuously evolve, provide a better service and a better cooking experience for our guests.
We are very sorry that you did not leave the cooking class you attended entirely happy. Please allow us to reflect on the negatives you found.
With regards to the menu with the sour cherry soup you dislike, unfortunately there was no way we could have communicated alternative menu options for you due to the nature of the sales/registration procedure in some cases. In the case of bookings made via the central info point and other selling points we do not receive the registrants’ contact details and thus are unable inform them about the menu we have planned for the day or hear about their preferred dishes. Your case was one of this, where unfortunately we were unaware of your likes or dislikes.
We have shared your review with Anita and needless to say she was very sorry she caused disappointment.
Having said that, we do appreciate her having a bad day should have not affected your cooking experience at all. Please accept our sincere apologies.

Please be so kind and email us your mailing address so that we can send you a solace present.

Thank you once again for the review and visiting Chefparade.

Best regards,