“Fabulous Hotel - Awesome Location”

Opera Garden Hotel & Apartments
Ranked #10 of 333 Hotels in Budapest
England
“Fabulous Hotel - Awesome Location”
Reviewed June 27, 2011

I have just arrived back from a 2 night trip at Opera Garden Hotel. Me and 3 friends stayed in one of the Deluxe apartments. Bargain for 4 of us at €150 a night.

Staff are very friendly and we was walked to our room by one of the receptionists. The staff on reception were always smiling and happy to accommodate. When we wanted bathrobes sent up, they were there within a couple of minutes. Same when we requested an extra hairdrier! The daytime receptionist didn't even seem annoyed with us on our last day when we kept popping in and out of the hotel to mess about with our bags stored in their luggage room.

Breakfast buffet is also included, which is constantly being restocked even at 10.50 when there is only 10 more minutes until breakfast closes! There are also free apples on display during the day if you are peckish!

We didn't realise when we booked that the hotel even had a spa area so for us that was a bonus! Fab jacuzzi and sauna - great for resting wary legs. Also there is free Wi-Fi

The hotel location is in walking distance to everything. Walk 10 mins one way and you are near the Terror Museum, Opera and some good bars and restaurants.

Walk 10 minutes another way and you are at the river and parliament - and 10 mins another way you are in the fashion district.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank sair1985
operagardenhotel, Front Office Manager at Opera Garden Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, June 29, 2011
Dear”sair1985”, Thank you for your excellent feedback left on Tripadvisor. I was absolutely delighted to read that hotel staff made your stay enjoyable and the service at reception exceeded your expectation. I was also happy to be heard that you were satisfied with our breakfast and could take advantage of the complimentary green apples offering each day. It was a pleasure to read that our wellness facilities amazed you and helped to refresh. I hope you will choose us for your next visit as well.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Czech first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed June 26, 2011

We (2 adults and two small children) spent 4 nights in June at the Opera Garden hotel. We made the reservation by email straight from the hotel. The questions about the room and other arrangements including taxi transfers were answered quickly and accurately via email.

We arrived to the hotel around midnight. Reception is open 24h, so no problem. We were guided to our room and got many brochures from the reception; map, information about Budapest's sights and other services.

The room was clean and everything was arranged as ordered. We got an executive room with an extra bed and a bed for baby. All were there waiting for us. And a bath tub for the baby, as well. Bathroom was a bit small (a bath tub would be nice if the bathroom was bigger). Air-conditioning was a bit noisy but effective. We shut it down in the night and the room was quite warm then. Bed was a good size but not the softest one. If you move during the sleep, you hear some 'crackle' from the bed. The kitchenette with fridge was nice and we made some good 'fast food' after a walk in town. Many supermarkets nearby (Andrassy ut for example). There was a freezer part in the fridge as well. We used the room safe and it was really easy to use. Wireless internet worked fine. We didn't use the room service but it was available.

Breakfast was ok with bacon and so on. And there was even champagne sometimes.

We travelled with two small children. Hotel is child friendly. Everything arranged well. Our children liked the terrace on the 4th floor as well as the jacuzzi and sauna in the basement. As the location is on a pedestrian street it was easy to walk around with prams. Easy access to metros and to family sights. Taxi transfers from and to the airport were arranged by the hotel; we paid a little extra and ordered two seats for the children to the taxi and it was great.

Location is nice. M1 connection to city park/to the river and M3 connection to West End shopping center/south part of Vaci ut.

We bought a city pass from the hotel reception and used the included river cruise to get to Margit island and then back to the city center after a visit at Palatinus on the island.

We liked this clean, modern hotel with a nice room and amenities - and the location. We didn't like the noise from the street quite early in some of the mornings when they were doing some roadworks but that's not hotel's fault. At check-out we didn't automatically get a receipt of our cash payment from the reception but it was given after we asked for it. Most of the staff spoke English quite well and we got answers to our questions.

Room Tip: Executive room is ok for 2 adults and 2 children
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Buda2011
Dear”Buda2011”, I would like to thank you for sharing your detailed and appreciative comment on Tripadvisor. It has been our pleasure that we could arrange everything you required and made your stay delightful. I was also happy to read that our services have met your expectations and you found Opera Garden Hotel & Apartments a child friendly hotel. I kindly inform you that we investigated the issues you described regarding air-conditioning, bed comfort, noise from the street and made the necessary actions. I do apologies for any inconveniences this could cause. I can also assure you that we always print out every invoice without any request and we will do it in the future as well for all of our guests. I would like to thank you again for your great comment and I do hope to have the opportunity welcoming you and your family back to our hotel.
Sacramento, California, USA
Reviewed June 26, 2011

You can't beat the location of the Opera Garden -- on a quiet pedestrian street in back of the Opera house, central to public transportation, and walking distance to all of the city's main sites. The street surrounding the hotel is loaded with cafes and restaurants (grab a grilled kielbasa at the deli nearby!). A taxi stand is two blocks away and we found easy street parking for our rental car the one day we had it.

The rooms themselves are well appointed (though the wardrobe closet is flimsy, IKEA-like). Nice amenities in the bathrooms (L'Otticane shampoos and soap), and the in-apartment kitchen had all the basics. Our air conditioning was spotty; perhaps because the filter in it was filthy. (Note to hotel: clean your a/c filters and it will also save your electricity costs).

The Front Desk staff was very helpful with the exception of Zsofia, who was surly at our check-in and never cracked a smile. I'll ding the hotel in the ratings for this, but everyone else (including the breakfast waiters) were personable and wonderful. Speaking of breakfast, it's a great spread of local and continental choices.

Excellent value, great location, and highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2011
Dear”Vesparado”, Thank you for placing your positive comment on Tripadvisor. I was glad to read that you concerned our location perfect and liked the surrounding area. It was also delighted to read that you were satisfied with your room and its amenities. I kindly inform you that we clean the air conditioning filter every month regularly for hygienic reasons. We checked your air conditioning and did not find dirtiness on the filter because it was cleaned couple of days before your arrival. However housekeeping will pay more attention cleaning dust from the air conditioning unit every day properly. I am terrible sorry for my colleague shortcoming upon check in. It was disappointing to read but I immediately followed up. I can ensure you that we work hard to reach the 100% guest satisfaction and this kind of behavior will not happen again from any of our staff member in the future. I would like to thank you again for recommending us to other travelers.
lakeside park, ky
Reviewed June 23, 2011

We were in an apartment on the 4th floor - steps required, it met our needs very well - good shower, heated towel bar to dry clothing quickly, beds are very firm..., air conditioned, very clean, and close to the lovely roof top terrace! Breakfast was a fantastic spread every morning with nice eating areas, hotel staff very accomodating and helpful. It has an exercise facility which we did not use. Free Internet access for us was via their computer in lobby. Quiet location - very close to St. Stephen basilica, with cafes all around and a small grocery. Wish our 4 night stay could have been longer.
Debbie from KY

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chinabunky
operagardenhotel, Front Office Manager at Opera Garden Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, June 27, 2011
Dear”chinabunky”, I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave your excellent comment on Tripadvisor. It has been our pleasure that you found us a great place to stay. I also would like to thank you for the compliments regarding your room comfort, bathroom facilities and cleanliness. I am delighted that you enjoyed our breakfast too. From all the compliments I was glad to read that our staff’s service exceeded your expectations. I trust that we can welcome you back soon to Opera Garden Hotel & Apartments for a longer period.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 20, 2011

I was very impressed with this hotel. The location was great, near the Opera house and close to bars, restaurants and shopping. The room was very nice, comfortable and clean. Having a kitchen and mini-fridge was a connivence to save a few dollars by cooking your own food. Service was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Dear”srlafren”, Thank you for taking the time to leave your positive review on Tripadvisor. I was glad to read that your stay was a good experience at Opera Garden Hotel & Apartments and our services exceeded your expectations. I was also pleased that you found hotel staff hospitable and helpful.
New York, NY
Reviewed June 17, 2011

We stayed here on our honeymoon, and were greeted with champagne and a kind letter from the hotel manager congratulating us in our room. The room was spacious, with windows overlooking a charming street with cafes and restaurants. The four poster bed was large and comfortable, and the room had a kitchenette as well. Breakfast was included, served in a breakfast room. There were multiple options as well as hot food. The staff was courteous and helpful, with the exception of their inflexibility regarding our missing a night of our non-refundable reservation (its a long story) and declining to refund the night. However, it was our fault so I can't blame them. Overall, a great value for the money and a nice location in Pest.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear”Zeep234”, I would like to thank you for placing your kind comment on Tripadvisor. It was a pleasure to be heard that we could make your honeymoon memorable. I was glad to read that you were absolutely satisfied with your room and enjoyed the buffet breakfast. I trust you understand that according to our cancellation policy we were unable to give you any refund because of the no show however I hope it did not ruin your stay and we can welcome you back soon for an other occasion.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2011

This is a good place. Very well located in the town centre, in a pedestrian but active area, well surrounded by bars and restaurants. The breakfast was great and the WiFi was included (always a good thing). However, I booked an Executive double room (instead of Superior double room) because it was larger and it was a special occasion. I called to explain this but I am not sure they really made a note of it. On my arrival I am convinced we were allocated a Superior, instead of what I had booked. I cannot be absolutely sure since it was my first time there and I did not check the other rooms but I found that our room was smaller that what I had been led to believe.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
operagardenhotel, Front Office Manager at Opera Garden Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, June 21, 2011
Dear”expatEdinburgh, Thank you for placing your positive feedback on Tripadvisor. I am happy that you considered our location great and found us a good place to stay. It was also a pleasure to read that our buffet breakfast has met your expectations and could take advantage of the free WiFi. Please be informed that we immediately make a note on every guest profile if a special request occurs and always make an effort to meet with all the requirements. As a boutique hotel we have all the rooms different but if you book an Executive category we guarantee it. After I checked your reservation I can ensure you that we did it in your case as well. I trust that this has not affected your stay and we will have the opportunity to accommodate you in a different Executive room.