“Nice outdoor setting and Good Food...”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Boom & Brass

Boom & Brass
Ranked #457 of 3,080 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: European, Eastern European, Central European, Hungarian
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Families with children, Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: District V / Inner City
Toronto, Canada
“Nice outdoor setting and Good Food...”
Reviewed August 22, 2014

The duck and donut potato pancakes and mixed grill were delicious! The outdoor setting near the square offered a lovely setting. The disc jockey's music was very soothing.

• Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Sliema, Malta
“Nothing special”
Reviewed August 22, 2014

I was drawn in to this place by the fairylights above it and the incredible interior (although we were seated outside- no one was inside for some reason). After we ordered I read the reviews and became quite worried so we didn't have high hopes.

The menu has the prices in HUF and EUR but the EUR are much higher than the current exchange rate so please never pay in EUR! Our total bill showed as €55 on the bill (but we paid in HUF) and the actual HUF to EUR exchange made it more like €44/45.

The food was alright, we had duck breast and a beef steak. Nothing amazing, but edible. Overpriced for what it was, neither came with any potatoes or veg, so we had to order a side of potatoes (we went for the new potatoes and they were deep fried- egh!) which were not good.

As with many places in Budapest they take a service charge which I absolutely detest. One table queried it and the waiter shouted at them that it was 'like tax'. No it's not, service is voluntary.

Overall, not as bad as some reviews have said but also not great either, wouldn't particularly recommend it, but if you've already sat down and have ordered, don't worry too much!

1 Thank Rhi B
London, United Kingdom
“Nice food, bad service”
Reviewed August 19, 2014

We ate here when we visited Budapest recently, the food was very good I had a wrap and my girlfriend had a chicken dish. Both arrived in good time and were really tasty and reasonably priced (based on UK prices each dish worked out to about £5).

We ate outside under some parasols in a nice area which seemed secluded because of how it was decorated even though there was a constant stream of people passing by us. The restaurant seemed clean and there were plenty of staff working.

One bad thing was the service though, the waiter who served us was terrible. I actually couldn't believe this person had been allowed to get a job as a waiter. First we ordered drinks and our food menus were being taken out of our hands before we were even asked about food. When we stopped him taking the menus and placed a food order he didn't seem very interested but did successfully manage to relay our order to the kitchen. Service was the same whenever anything was brought out to our table, it was just put down and left. Maybe this was because we didn't speak much Hungarian (he seemed to have good English from what little he grunted) but either way the manner of the server was bad.

• Visited August 2014
“Tooo expansive for the quality”
Reviewed August 17, 2014 via mobile

The caprese is too expansive for that quality. Tomatoes taste like water and the mozarella has online an idea of 'bufala' in its taste. And why is there so many rucola?? I have an idea...
But, service was good and friendly!

London, United Kingdom
“(Average food + poor service) + High prices = nothing exceptional”
Reviewed August 13, 2014

After three visits to Budapest in the last three months I am now in a clearer position to provide a balanced review. I have seen many people complaining about the lack of (or poor) customer service here, but to be frank this is Budapest and not Bangkok where a customer really does feel like a king. I purchased a pair of shoes and to be honest, the assistant seemed more annoyed at me disturbing her texting or updating her Facebook account on the mobile than actually making a sale. In fact it felt like she had given me the items for free and at the end of the transaction not even a thank you she just put the shoes in the bag and got back to her mobile. So welcome to Budapest, just don’t take it personally.

I have tried several eating establishments and this was the most expensive place that my wife and had dinner or any meal during this visit. We only picked Boom Brass, as we passed in the day to people watch and the menu looked okay. Considering the price we paid, which was not short of London prices, I would have expected much more for my money and when I say “more” I mean a far better experience.

However, this is Hungary and judging from what I have seen, during my visits the service culture is very hit or miss here, basically a few people have it - but many simply do not. The person who initially greeted, door girl / woman us on arrival at the restaurant gave us a rubbish table, away from the road to people watch, apparently the others were reserved despite many of these not being used whilst we were having our meal. About twenty minutes later two American girls asked the same question about the tables and were also told they were they were reserved – I am not sure what that was about. Either tables are available or they are not as they did not have any reserve sign on them.

However, the food was very average basically a “Tex- Mex” affair, nothing exceptional in fact my wife ordered her steak medium but had to ask for it to be cooked more, which threw the staff for some reason who seemed annoyed by this request. My wife wasn’t keen on the service because she asked where the soft drinks were in the menu, and instead of pointing out the drinks the waiter barked out: “cola, fanta, juice what you want?”

My other gripe is considering this had been a hot day, in fact a very hot day the waiting staff were not exactly coming around to ask if we needed more drinks, I had to practically beg them for another drink. My second drink was a Pina Colada, complete with ice cubes, and resembling nothing like the drink pictured in the menu. The waiter told me that is how Pina Coladas are served in Hungary, although I did wonder what 007 would have ended up with if he had ordered his traditional Martini shaken and not stirred. For the record Pina Colada is made with crushed ice not ice cubes.

The food was average, because after all a burger is a burger and a steak is a steak, and as my wife informed me this was not Kobe Beef; but we did have to send my wife’s steak back to be cooked more. However, given that we had paid £30 a head, which included a ginger ala, Cappy juice and Pina Colada I would have expected much better and could have found better in value and quality in London. If you are paying this type of money you expect something more for your return. Both of us were very disappointed with the overall experience.

Even at the end it took three requests from three different staff members and ten minutes to finally get the bill, honestly all which is a first for me. Even worse considering the restaurant was not that busy, hence the table that were “apparently” reserved were still empty on our departure.

Basically Boom & Brass is nothing that exceptional the food is average and service poor, but even if the food was much better it would have to be something else, to get over the prices and poor service. About one of the few things it has going for it is the location, and that is only when the weather is good.

This is only worth three stars from me.