“Just passing by”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of M. Restaurant

M. Restaurant
Ranked #58 of 3,092 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: French, Eastern European, Central European, Hungarian, Fusion
Good for: Romantic, Dining on a budget, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Cash Only, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: District VII / Jewish Quarter
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Just passing by”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2014 via mobile

I was hoping to find a place like this, and just happened to be walking by. Took a look at the menu and decided to give it a try. We started off with the charcuterie plate. It had a nice mix of a tomato spread, sausages and ham. Then I had a chicken goulash and my husband had beef cheeks. Both dishes were well prepared, great flavors, and what I was hoping for. The wines all came by the glass, one was too strong, and the other just right. We have not had any wines from this region, so it is a nice way to explore the wines of the area. We did not leave room for dessert, but I'm sure given what we had, it would have been just right! If we had more time, we would go back, if we lived here, we would be regulars. The prices were so reasonable!

Visited August 2014
1 Thank MPA033

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Little Paris in Budapest - go there!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2014

A really nice, cozy restaurant with a fantastic atmosphere. The creative decoration adds to it. And at the end of your evening you get to draw on the paper that protected your table. Fun.
The menu is adapted to the feeling of the chef, the season and the availability on the market. Everything is prepared with great care. And the service is personal and very nice. From the M. salad, to the catfish, and the chocolat fondant - it all was of great taste and presentation. You are off the tourist track and that's great. People from the neighbourhood come there too which gives it a special touch. I would go back next time.

Vancouver, Canada
“Local and Hip without being touristy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014

Off the beaten path but a great find! Very cheap wine and small cozy atmosphere. We had the beef cheek entry and duck with plum chutney with polenta. Very delicious and reasonably priced. Really liked the brown paper lined drawing decor. Service in well spoken English.

Brighton, England, United Kingdom
“Cool place with good cooking”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

It's easy to miss this place, a bit of the main tourist track and covered in scaffolding on the night I was there with my wife.
It's very small, just a few tables upstairs and down. The walls are covered in brown lining paper and they have drawn on patterns and pictures with black pen. Cool.
Staff are lovely and friendly. When pouring our local sparkling wine the waiter noticed my glass was not clean. Without waiting for me to say anything he replaced both my glass and the bottle. The wine was pretty good, by the way.
For starters we had the Hungarian charcuterie and an octopus salad. Both delicious and both big portions. Main courses of Duck and Beef Cheek were bistro classics. This is French bistro cooking with Hungarian portions!
Too full for dessrts we went straight to coffee. I asked for a digestif and was recommended Palinka. I've not had this before. It's strong! My wife didn't like it so the waitress brought her small glasses of the raspberry and quince flavour to try. All on the house.
The bill was too low for food and service this good - only 11500 huf. Highly recommended.

1 Thank Rewhog
Prague, Czech Republic
“Great food and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2014

We found this place using tripadvisor initially. Werent disappointed. The food was very good and fresh - the only negative is that we went a bit early and there werent too many people. The wine was very good and inexpensive. Highly recommend the Salmon tartar for appetizer.