“Evening Drinks”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: District I / Buda
Reviewed December 17, 2017

Called in to this restaurant as it was close to our hotel. Excellent place with great service. Excellent selection of local wines and beers. Will stay here next time we visit as it was close to transport to city center

1  Thank dave_uae

Reviewed September 4, 2017

We chose this restaurant, which is within the Hotel Charles, on the Buda side of the river, because it was within a very short walk of the hotel at which we were staying. The reviews seemed reasonable so we turned up without booking, in the hopes of getting a table. We were in luck, though the restaurant was busy, probably with hotel guests.

We were seated and left to consider the menu and wine list. We soon decided on dishes and a wine, and ordered. The wine, an oddly named local red wine called Petreny Big Band 2011, arrived and was opened to taste. I must admit that I found it a tad sharp but assumed it would soon soften, as most reds do. It turned out to be a hefty 14%er!

The food arrived and was well presented and proved very tasty. We both enjoyed out choices. However, even by the end of the main course the wine had not really had the edges taken off to any degree. I was beginning to regret the choice.

Desserts came and went. We had put off drinking the last of the wine but did so right at the end. Only then, around an hour and a half later did the wine show any signs of becoming enjoyable. What a shame. It seemed like it had potential but would have ideally needed to have been opened a couple of hours before starting the meal in order to well accompany it. Not really a good wine to have on the menu in a restaurant!

However, the food was good and the service excellent. I didn't complain about the wine since it really wasn't its fault but maybe the management will take note of this review.

The bill came to around £45 for the two of us, which was really quite reasonable. We would probably return were we ever to visit Budapest again, but probably order a different wine!

1  Thank Graham T
Jeney A, Közönségkapcsolati vezető at Restaurant Janos, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to give us a feedback. We really appreciate this. It’s a pleasure to see the scores you gave us.
We truely hope, that we can welcome you soon again in our restaurant.

Best regards,

Reviewed June 23, 2017

We've been there (4 persons) on June 11th, around 9 o'clock P.M.. (closing time at 23:00). I have to mention, the restaurant was almost empty (maybe 20% occupancy).
We ordered and ...waited and ... waited and ...waited...around 30 minutes.
I asked the waiter what's going on and he asked us to be more patient!
After a while, I asked again and the answer was:
Sorry, we are short of waiters and short of people in the kitchen!
A bit amazed, I replied: Look around, it's almost empty!
Then he said: Yes, but outside it's full.
I just didn't believe him, so I went out to check and...Not full, not even half full!
Around 20%, as inside.
The food was EXCELLENT, all the different dishes we ordered.
I'm afraid, we will not go there again.

Reviewed May 25, 2017

We usually visit this place because of the lunch menu option. They are serving a three course lunch menu (one soup, one main and one small dessert) which is amazing most times. In the last year I visited this place over a hundred occasions and I have never disappointed.

1  Thank mefiblogger
Jeney A, Közönségkapcsolati vezető at Restaurant Janos, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to share your opinion on our restaurant. It's pleasing to read your satisfaction. We are happy that you are delighted with both our food and our services.

You are always warmly-welcomed here, in János Restaurant.
Best regards,

Reviewed May 18, 2017

The service is great and the staff very friendly. I would say the menu was more expensive than elsewhere in Budapest for the same type of food.

I ordered the burger and my meat was under-cooked (I asked for it to be well done, but I had to leave chunks of it as it was still raw).

A 10% discount is given to hotel residents for the first night.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience. We are happy that you were satisfied with our staff's service. We always like to receive constructive critics so thank you for your opinion on food, we will rethink the cooking method.

We hope we can welcome you soon again as our guest.
Kind regards,