“Beautiful hotel, good value, but some issues.”

Eurostars Budapest Center Hotel
Ranked #63 of 342 Hotels in Budapest
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
“Beautiful hotel, good value, but some issues.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2011

My girlfriend and I (we're both in our mid-twenties) stayed at this hotel at the beginning of August 2011.

HOTEL & ROOMS
The hotel's location is not as great as that of much more expensive hotels at the Danube promenade, but you can reach the river in 10 minutes.

The hotel is quite beautiful, with a very stylish lobby and modern rooms. The bed was huge (albeit a bit short for me, because I'm relatively tall) and very comfortable. A bit disappointing were the (two per person) pillows, because they were relatively small. In the room was a little flyer advertising the hotel's special service: 4 different styles (hardness, etc.) of pillows with Hollywood actors' names. I ordered one Audrey Hepburn and one Marilyn Monroe. In the evening, they were still not there. In the morning I called again, and they said they would get me those pillows. However, in the late afternoon, still no pillows. I called again and they finally told me they had a full house and therefore could not provide anymore pillows, not even standard ones. A bit disappointing.

We sadly had no view but some kind of atrium (the lobby's windowed roof) and other hotel windows.

The bathroom was good except for the floor heating which you apparently can't turn off when the lights are on, very annoying in August.

The A/C was a joke, sadly. Even on maximum (out of 3 settings), the room still was 23°C. Maybe it was broken, though it seemed to be working.

Free wireless Internet, but the connection speed was ridiculously slow (very low signal quality on iPhone 3Gs and iPad 1).

FOOD AND SERVICE
Breakfast was very good, even though the breakfast room was a bit cramped. The hotel does not have a restaurant, but serves tapas in the bar and offers room service. On our third night, we ordered two steaks and Greek yoghurt for dessert. The barkeeper told us it would take 30 minutes. After waiting for about 75 minutes, I called downstairs and they assured me it would take only a few more minutes. 20 minutes later, I went downstairs and the the female barkeeper told me her colleague had just went up. On return in the room, the food was indeed there, but it was really, really cold (not a bit cooled down, but as if it had been standing in the kitchen for an hours, which it probably had). I called them again, and they said they would send someone up. I again waited almost ten minutes, then walked down with one plate to give it to the barkeeper (at this point, we had been waiting for about 2 hours). He looked kind of annoyed, as if not to be embarrassed in front of the other customers (who were eating their tacos, so there must have been some activity in the kitchen), which, in turn, I found quite annoying, because I was the one who had been waiting for a long time and then got cold food. I then went back to the room and a waiter brought ONE new plate (because I had only brought down ONE ...). I again called downstairs, and finally some manager guy (Enrico, I think, who was EXTREMELY friendly) brought us a new (second) plate and also the brownie dessert, as well as a bottle of Hungarian sparkling wine (which actually was one of the best I have ever drunk). He then assured us everything would be free of charge. Great, or so we thought, because I tried the food, and while the steak (also my girlfriend's) was perfect, my (not hers) potatoes were LITERALLY still frozen inside (I'm guessing they pre-cooked them earlier and then just reheated them in the microwave, but not long enough). I called room service again, but no one answered, so I called the reception and asked for Enrico, but the woman told me he was not there, which annoyed me quite a bit because he had been in our room about 2 minutes earlier. I told her that and she reluctantly gave me the manager. He apologized a thousand times and I simply asked for some bread, not trusting the chef's skills anymore. He personally brought it up and apologized again. Again, he was super-friendly, unlike the barkeeper who seemed embarrassed by my presence or the receptionist. On check-out, everything was indeed free of charge.

More generally, staff was not very friendly, except for Enrico and one male and one female receptionist. Staff was slow to set tables at breakfast and seemingly didn't mind huge and sticky marmalade stains, so we had to tell them twice to please change the table cloth.

CONCLUSION
Great hotel at a great value (the prices we got, at least) if you don't mind sleeping in rooms that are too warm (likely not a problem when it's not summer) or like to order food to your room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a streetview if you want to see more than a glassy atrium (not sure about the no...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kktriper

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Avignon, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2011

There is not many to say that's a real four stars hotel...
All is very fine the breakfast is really good, the room too and the staff is really helpfull.
A really good place.
The only thing I regret but not so much is maybe that all it's a little cold, clinical.
We do not feel as we are in Budapest a central european country

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

A straightforward hotel that, while not especially inspiring, ticks all the boxes and was decent value. The staff were friendly and welcoming, the room was well appointed and comfortable. Our only real gripe was the standard of the housekeeping, which was a bit slapdash.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Lisbon, Portugal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2011

Just perfect!!!
Very well located, you can walk to most of the sites. Very close to the tube, one minute walking.
The room was big, the bathroom was very elegant. The breakfast, one of the most important things for me in a hotel, was very complete. The staff was very kind.
Loved it.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2011

This was a very nice hotel, walking distance to 2 of the bridges to the Buda side. We walked to the Gellart spa from the hotel, as well as other famous sites. The rooms were fairly small but very nicely furnished with wood floors and modern decor. Nice clean bathroom. Front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. The room had strong A/C and HD flatscreen television. The price was affordable. It was also walking distance to good restaurants. Highly recommended. Free wifi as well.

This is the hotel area of Budapest so watch out for scammers! Do NOT exchange money in the street, show your wallet to alleged "plain clothes police officers investigating counterfeit money", or go for drinks with pretty girls that look like borderline prostitutes - this is an overcharging drinks scam - always check prices on menus before ordering.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Karlshamn, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2011

This hotel was situated perfectly - only about 50 metres from Vaci Utca and close to the gorgeous surroundings of the Danube (quite far away from andrassy - but I wouldn't consider that a loss).
The room didn't really deserve four stars since I consider it extremely basic - however, I am judging from a scandinavian standard.
The breakfast was OK. The fruit sortiment was poor.
I would recommend it due to the location and the value you get for your money! (We only paid 250 euros for 3 nights!)

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Düsseldorf
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2011

The positive aspects are that
- the hotel looks very modern
- the breakfast is good
- it is in the city center
- there is free wifi

What I did not like at all was that
- my bed sheets had big stains on them and a couple of long black hairs
- the room smelled really bad which did not go away even when opening the windows
- the bathtub plug did not work
- the room service did not answer even after a couple of trials
- the TV went quiet every couple of minutes
- they came in when I had the no disturb sign on the door
- they did not give me a map when I asked for a restaurant to have lunch

I told this at the reception and they
- said 'thank you for telling us'
- did not apologize
- did not assure me that someone will take care of it
- did not offer another room

After 4 hours the room still was the same, in the evening when returning they had changed the sheets the bathtub still didn't work.

I think that things like that can happen. I would have given more points if they had gotten it right after I had pointed it out at the reception.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business