“Can't go wrong here!”

Cuisines: French, Hungarian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: District V / Inner City
Description: A cozy and charming bistro in the heart of Budapest. French-hungarian cuisine, excellent reviews about the kitchen and the presence of the owners all the time. Live jazz music every weekend!
Budapest, Hungary
“Can't go wrong here!”
Reviewed August 19, 2014

When I have a guest I don't want to miss with, Borsso is my go-to. The food is classic yet creative. The wine list is one of the best in the city. And...the service impeccable (a rare jewel in Budapest) with the wait-staff actually able to describe the menu and wines. Nice ambiance--classy without being ostentatious, high quality local ingredients hand-picked by the chef, and a great location. Really you can't go wrong (thanks to James ffor introducing me).

1 Thank Whroberts1

• Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Clarksdale, Mississippi
“Very good, but not superb”
Reviewed August 18, 2014

It's down a fairly narrow alley / street and is a small place with a pleasant enough line up of tables in front. A jazz trio - two guitars and a bass - played softly across the alley and they were very good. (I'd been concerned when I walked up, but they were soft enough and good enough that I enjoyed them.) The restaurant says that it is French-Hungarian and that description seems to be fairly accurate.

I had: An amuse bouche of duck liver mousse that was good, but nothing remarkable. I tend to prefer amuses that perk up one's taste buds but this one didn't really do that.

Then I had their fish soup,sort of a light tomatoey, starter version of a bouillabaisse. It was excellent and the seafood was very fresh. With it I had a glass of Figula Sauvignon Blanc, 2013, a wine from the Lake Balaton region and it was excellent.

My main course was a Pork medallion Colbert style - sauce jus, wrapped with a mash of forest mushrooms and duck liver pate, held in place with a wrapper of kale. It was excellent, served with a patty of mashed several sorts of potatoes that had been lightly seared on top and bottom to retain its form. With it I had a Jekl Pinot Noir from Villanyi, in SW Hungary. It was very good, though I liked the first wine better.

The meal was finished off with a Lime and Raspberries "tart" - in a glass, something like a crust on the bottom - that was way too sweet, almost teeth-grittingly sweet. The espresso was strong enough to help compensate.

The bill for the whole works came to 13,170 Forint (including service) = 42 Euro / US$56.20. A good meal, but not fantastic, and for the price I will much more likely be returning to Borkonyha Winekitchen for another meal here in Budapest.

1 Thank Eric S
Sydney, Australia
“Great Find”
Reviewed August 17, 2014

Yet again my Wife and Trip Advisor found a Hidden Gem. An absolutely Five Star Meal for both of us. The Steak with Duck Liver on top was a Triumph and the Ricotta Cheese desert Incredible
My wife is still talking about the Home made Porcini and Truffle Pasta fabulous.

Portland, Oregon
“Delicious food, amazing service”
Reviewed August 8, 2014

This is the best restaurant I've discovered so far in Budapest. The wine was surprisingly good (seeing as how I had no idea Hungarians do wine, and do it well). Food was also great and the dessert (charlotte) was to die for. The service stood out above all else. I had three different servers taking care of me, and all were friendly and quick with their service. Hard to find in Europe. I'll be back before I leave town.

2 Thank Melissa K
gent
“Fine kitchen....”
Reviewed August 1, 2014

Fine food, with à french touch..... Quiet lovely terras outside, good wines! Friendly service.
I wish these young Guys lots of succes with their restaurant! They deserve it!

Just one advise? The portions à bit bigger please, walking arround in Budapest for a hole day, makes you hungry, i think some people still are hungry after diner here.......

Greets from Gent/Belgium