“Extremely Good!”

Cuisines: French, Hungarian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: District V / Inner City
Description: A cozy and charming bistro in the heart of Budapest. French-hungarian cuisine, excellent reviews about the kitchen and the presence of the owners all the time. Live jazz music every weekend!
Reviewed February 20, 2014

We also dined here on Valentines eve and therefore can't comment on the usual menu but.......
The set Valentines 4 course menu (see below- with a selected glass of wine to match each course) was absolutely sensational - one of the best (if not the best) meals I have ever had - inspiring me to write my first ever TA review (!)

Only the dessert which, though very good, was a slight let down for me after the quality of what had gone before (but only in relative terms).

My partner ordered from the main menu which was slightly (and understandably) restricted on the evening - this forced her to order two dishes she would perhaps otherwise not have ordered - a cream artichoke soup and a vegetable based pasta - both were beautifully done.The only slight crticism? My partners dessert came with what looked (and tasted) like whipped cream from an aerosol

The service was uniformly excellent and the restaurant smart and refined without being stuffy.

In terms of price, we dined at Hungarikum Bistro, Menza, Ruben, Pata Negra and Cafe Intenzo during our trip. All were cheaper (only Ruben was considerably cheaper) but none of the above are in the same league gastronomically as Borsso.

Our bill worked out at just over £50 for the set menu plus 3 course meal and 3 glasses of house white for my partner

I would strongly recommend you spend an extra £10 to £20 per couple and dine here if you get the chance.

Ginger rabbit veloute with liver ravioli
Szent György hegyi kéknyelű’ 2012

Scallops ras el hanout cous-cous and spinach
Tűzkő chardonnay barrique 2011

Duckbreast with honey-tokaj figg and quinoa
Gizella furmint battonage 2011

Tuile á la Tropical
Bujdosó Tramontana 2011

Price of the dinner: 9900,- HUF/ person

Write a ReviewReviews (1,841)

Reviewed February 17, 2014

We dined here on a Valentines night. The menu had actually changed from that on the website.
There was a set menu but we decided to choose from the main menu. On first glance I was unsure that I could actually chose anything I liked - with both one of the starters & mains containing Jerusalem Artichoke. Which I don't like!
Finally picked the rabbit soup & pork tenderloin. The food was A la Carte but the portion sizes were good. Food was very tasty & service exceptional. The waiter was very attentive but we didn't feel rushed. Our main courses were delayed (which we didn't actually realise as we were talking & drinking) so the waiter offered us 2 free glasses of wine.
A little on the pricey side compared with other restaurants we ate in but it was a special night so we didn't mind

Reviewed February 7, 2014

Very friendly and attentive service and quite a small but interesting menu. The food was well prepared and tasty and the wine list was based around good local wines. This is not the cheapest restaurant around but offers good value considering the really well thought out dishes and the enthusiasm with which they are presented.

Reviewed February 6, 2014

A lovely little restaurant. The menu contained some interesting options, though I can highly recommend both the Ox cheek & the Rabbit pasta. Also the chocolate cake was the nicest dessert we had during our four night stay in Budapest. Some reviews have mentioned it being expensive, but for food of this quality I wouldn't say so. That said, Budapest has plenty of options for inexpensive yet quality places to eat (try Borbirosag).

Reviewed February 4, 2014

A wonderful evening. Great Hungarian classic food, spectacular wine, superb acoustic guitar music. Not expensive for the quality of food - go for game, offal and old fashioned cuts of meat like oxtail. We had 3 superb courses a la carte with great wine & tokai to finish for about £70 including service. The service was exemplary - attentive without being intrusive. It really doesn't get better than this.