“Great value”

Hotel Chesscom
Ranked #105 of 334 Hotels in Budapest
“Great value”
Reviewed July 20, 2012 via mobile

"You get what you pay for" seems to apply to this hotel. It felt like a hostel, the rooms are relatively small and the food is rather average. But the personnel is helpful and friendly. The hotel was also located relatively well, close to where the airport bus stops and close to the blue metro line. Recommended only if you're on a budget or if you're used to staying in hostels.

4 Thank Gabriel1986

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Szeged, Hungary
Reviewed July 15, 2012

The hotel is located just next to the metro station and also to the Kőbánya-Kispest train station. Moreover, they offer transfer buses to the airport at a rather acceptable price (especially if you arrive after 11pm and taking a taxi would be the only other viable option) and also free parking.
Overall, the place is easily reachable from practically anywhere.

I've never been to a 2-star hotel before, usually I stay in 3-stars or booking whole cheap apartmants instead of expensive small hotel rooms but I've been bumped into far worse 3-star hotels than Chesscom.
They have a 24-hour reception, answer promptly to emails, the staff is friendly, and wifi, a fridge (!) and air conditioning is included in the price. I have also seen that cable TV and a safe is also present in the room but to be honest I did not try those :D Of couse breakfast is also included in the price -- a breakfast one expects at a low-star hotel (sausage, eggs, bread, butter, corns, vegetables, cheese, coffee, tea, stuff like that), it's okay. Now if you are not happy with that, take a visit to the mall within, say, 50 meters and buy anything you wish and store it in your fridge :) Also, you have to checkout till 11am, which is quite okay.

My plane arrived to the Airport around 11pm and I had to stay a night in Budapest before I could continue my route via train in the morning, so the location of the hotel was excellent for that purpose. I booked both the room and the airport minibus via their official website, and it went smoothly and conviniently, there were absolutely no problems with that. The room and the bathroom were clean (I booked a room with a separate bathroom). I found the shower a bit small and inconvenient, but that can be just me.

So overall, I am quiet satisfacted with this hotel, especially being a budget hotel -- to be honest, I expected far worse. However, I have to add the following things:
- since I talked with them in hungarian, I cannot tell how well the staff speaks English (though their first email was quite well formulated);
- I have not tried any of the restaurants nearby, neither their own one;
- I was told that the district is kinda scary by night. No experience on that topic either.
so for these you have to read another review as well ;) for me, choosing Chesscom turned out to be a very good decision.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank CortexReaver
Rowley Regis, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I just spent 4 nights at the Hotel Chesscom and I left with a feeling of having had a very good value stay.

It's located in the Kobanya-Kispest area of Budapest. If you were travelling from the airport into the city centre by public transport then K-K would be the place where you change from the 200E bus to the Metro. K-K itself has seen a transformation over recent years and the former shabby bus/rail interchange has now been largely rebuilt with the new KYKI shopping complex (Tesco, C&A, H&M, KFC the usual mall type arrangement). For travelling into/out of the city centre it's about a 20 min Metro ride, so not too far away and the Metro runs frequently until 2320 at night. Budapest public transport is great value for money and you can buy 1, 3 and 7 day travelcards as well as regular single tickets.

The hotel itself is basic, as you would expect from the price, but my room had a separate lobby, air conditioning and fridge - not many 2* hotels would give you these. (Tip - don't pay for the breakfast, on the first day visit Tesco and stock up on breakfast things such as orange juice, jam, bread etc).

Only downside I would say is the wi-fi. I was on the 4th floor and the wi-fi kept dropping out. It's a strange arrangement where everytime you connect you have to log in via a landing page. Very annoying. There is a PC for free internet access in the lobby if you don't have your own laptop.

If you're the sort of person that's in and out of their hotel every 5 mins then this isn't the place for you, but if you're happy to stick some stuff in a rucksack and spend the day in town then it's perfect.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Matthew R
Voluntari, Romania
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Thsi hotel is located in a suburban area, near the last metro station ( blue line);
However, the last metro station is "on repairs" so you have to go by bus, ( aporx 30-40 min) to the center;
The entire area is under construction, but, if you`re "by car" and have a good orientation skill ( or GPS :-)) you`ll manage-it;
The hotel: a cheap transit hotel with small rooms ( even if I made pan paid my reservation by internet, the receptionist haven`t got my reservation, so- the day I arrived she try to "manage somehow" giving me the worst room I ever seen; More than that she seems to understand english only in fragments so it was hard to communicate with;
Last- she talked with her boss and agreed to give-me a superior room ( after more than 40 minutes waited on the reception desk);
So: be careful if you make a reservation, to ensure that they have the room;
Second: be careful you have a GPS- to handle the trip to the downtown;
Third - dont relay on the city transportation- if you dont understand "magyar" - is hard to communicate with other people.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Gabriel C
Maastricht, The Netherlands
Reviewed June 4, 2012

I have stayed in budget hotels before. I do not think a good hotel is available only for those willing to spend a lot. Therefore, I booked the reservation aware of the following facts: No, it was not in a great location, a bit far from downtown, but I figured it was 2 blocks from the metro and so that was fine. I was also aware that the interior was quite outdated and shabby, but I figured if it was clean that was fine. It was more important to me to have a clean room, with wifi and close to public transportation.

The first problem was that the wifi did not work. At all. I tried two different devices. Not happening. The neighborhood was also not so great. I came in on a late flight and needed something to eat and the front desk clerk recommended a restaurant around the corner to me. Not only was the food bad (very, very tough dry meat) but there was no one around at all and it was very dark. I felt that without knowing the neighborhood, it was not a good idea to be walking alone at night. I do wish there had been more people about, for safety reasons. I could have saved myself that concern as there is a restaurant off the lobby of the hotel, but the clerk said the food was really bad there! Okaaay.

Also, I chose a room with a shared bathroom. I think this would have been fine if my neighbor cleaned up after himself a bit. Not sure what he was doing in the bathroom but there was pubic hair everywhere. I do not really enjoy other peoples pubic hair, strangely enough. Also, this same neighbor enjoyed wandering around in his whitey tighties and refusing to shut his door or the bathroom door. Even though he knew I was there as he saw me entering my room. As a single female traveling, I thought this behavior was not so cool. I mean, who does that? At a hotel? At home, that's one thing, but when you're around others ...shut the door. Sharing a bathroom is a gamble, just keep that in mind. Not everyone is courteous.

Anyway, the Hotel could not change my room for all three days I was to be in Budapest. And while you cannot fault the hotel for the actions of the neighbor, the hotel itself has its own issues. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. I think there are decent places to stay for budget friendly prices and this was not one of them. So, with everything combined I was not happy with my accommodations and found a hotel down town - much better!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
hoangtri, Manager at Hotel Chesscom, responded to this review, June 10, 2012
Dear our Guest,

Thank you for your feedback! We appreciate every response, so we can improve our level of service. I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with the Hungarian restaurant on the corner. We have an operating oriental restaurant inside the hotel, and I assure you the food there is not bad at all. Our area has a quiet suburban neighbourhood, but it's totally safe. And it's next to the second largest shopping mall in the city. The underground is right there, to take our guest to the city centre.

We are sorry that you had a bad experience with the shared bathroom. Although we try to match the rooms so it fits the genders, sometimes when we are fully booked, we cannot do it. I think you were at our hotel at a highly occupied period, that must been the reason we could not arrange the change of the room.

As a budget hotel we always try to bring the best service on the budget. Therefore sometimes it may not be perfect, but we are always on to improve. I'm glad that you found a down town hotel that fitted your needs more. Hope you have enjoyed your stay in Budapest!
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 24, 2012

Arrived earlier then check in, and was allowed to leave our luggage in a separate room so we could go and explore Budapest.

The man at reception was very helpful, and gave us advice on where to get the metro from, how much it would cost, where we should get off etc - handy considering we met very few people who spoke English.

The room was very nice, but there was a slightly wierd smell, almost like used nappies?! We had a shared bathroom with another room, and whilst this would have been fine - the bathroom was lovely, there was no lock on the bathroom door!

The breakfast downstairs was terrible, very little on offer for the money - get there early to get any hot food they have to offer! There is free internet access.

I would stay here again, but would definitely go for ensuite next time. There are much nicer hotels in budapest as well!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends