“excellent hostel”

Ranked #46 of 655 Specialty Lodging in Budapest
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“excellent hostel”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

the people there are really nice, the rooms and bathrooms are really clean, the prices are good. the only thing you shouldn't do is to pay well in advance, because they do not like to give refunds :-)

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank danielBrazilian m

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

Been there between christmas and new year. It was a little bit noisy, but understandable for this time of the year.
I can not say anything bad about this hostel because of the location. It is near the metro station, the riun pubs and a 24/7 market.
We arrived by train and followed the instructions from their web. Once you get off the metro line 2 (i dont remember the name of the stop), take the exit and after the stairs continue that way. The street of the hostel is the 5th street on your left. And it really is a 3min walk as they say it.
From this location you can be in any part of the city in max half an hour.
All in total - super location, great staff, clean.. and colorfull! :) enjoy it!

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank IvonaIvona
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Greetings from Indonesia!
It's almost been a year of my visit to Budapest but haven't written any comment yet to this hostel. Overall, I really enjoy my stay here. I don't know why it could be priced very cheap with lots of usable free facilities and friendly staffs. I also could save lots of money for buying food during my visit to Budapest since I can cook in the pantry. If I come back to Budapest someday, surely I will stay here again.

Room Tip: Better staying on the attic to have warmer temperature, I guess?
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Zakky A
Paris, France
Reviewed December 26, 2013

I had a really good time in Casa ! Really nice place, colourfull and lively ! I went there already, I will be there again ! I loved the people there, especially the small one with glasses at the bar and of course the cleaning lady ! Best girl in all Budapest ! The bosses are good also, funny and telling nice travelling stories, especially the one with "eyes of the tiger", you should ask Alex. Everything was clean, dormitory was comfortable and there is a nice atmosphere all around the place. If you see Guca ask him about "Black Thursday", you'll have a nice story too ! I recommend the place for anyone who want to spend some nice holliday in Budapest. And if you go there say hello to Adel from me ! :)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

Unique atmosphere, clean rooms and excelent breakfast. And moreover the swimmingpool! This hostel is the best place, when u r planning trip to Budapest :) I spent there 2 lovely days with my friends. The stuff is very helpful and funny. You can feel there like home :)

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 10, 2013

Me and my wife spent our honeymoon interrailling, and mostly staying in private rooms in hostels. We were very excited to visit this hostel as it looked bright and friendly and fun from the pictures and reviews...

I can only report on what I have seen and experienced, so unfortunatly there are no positives to this review.

The building/room:

Looks colourful in pictures but is in fact run down and dimly lit. Our room was on the top floor and was boiling hot with only one small window which had been closed all day. The bed was actually painful with springs almost poking through into our backs. I have never slept on a worse bed, and believe me Ive slept in some ropey hostels! They were renovating rooms close by and were using power tools till late and at first thing in the morning.

But worst of all the blind did not work!!! So light (and heat) was pouring in all day and night. We were hoping for a snooze before seeing the town as we had just completed a 9hour train journey, but this wasn't to be!

The communal toilets and showers were however clean and tidy.

the staff:

The staff were distant and seemingly uninterested. Upon letting them know the blind was broken they had no soltuions at all. I asked if they had any duct tape or the like so i could tape it down.. they offered me blu tac and selotape! Which in desperation i attempted with selotape only to end up more frustrated!

Obviously we were awake for the entire night and around 4am I decided I would go make use of their free coffee and tea. I walked downstairs only to find the entire communal area was locked!!

At approx 8 am when staff re appeared we decided to say we were cutting our stay short. We had orginally planned to stay 2 nights but could not wait to get out of there, we went to a ibis round the corner which was like heaven after experiencing casa de la musica.

Also there is a hip hop dance studio inside which will repeat the same song over and over on full blast for a good three hours while they rehearse.

The sad part was despite being incredibly polite to the staff, they were so unwilling to help us with the blind or at least look at finding us another room, it felt like we were inconveniencing them!

reading the other reviews it feels like we must have seriously lucked out with the staff and the room that day!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Liam K
BudapestCasa, Manager at Casa De La Musica Hostel, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear Liam,

We are terribly sorry for your inconvenience that happened in April. As you experienced we did go through a major renovation to extend our capacity and to renew the existing rooms. Since your stay was 7 months ago, we would like to reassure you that many things have been improved such as our furniture and mattresses, decorations and our staff as well! We promise you'd see the difference if we could host you again sometime!

Happy holidays!