“Excellent carpaccio”

Trattoria Mamma
Ranked #305 of 3,346 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: European, Italian
Good for: Families with children, Scenic view, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: District V / Inner City
Reviewed July 13, 2014

Close to the basilica, this unassuming trattoria is just off the main tourist streets but worth seeking out. It isn't a big place but has a comprehensive menu: we chose mushroom soup and carpaccio for our starters, followed by pork chops and seafood risotto. All were very good with the carpaccio the one that stood out. Our waiter offered helpful advice on wine - as only one of us drinks wine, I usually have a limited choice of wines by the glass. Here I was offered a Hungarian merlot with the carpaccio and then a local white wine with the risotto: both were an ideal match with the accompanying dishes. We were tempted by the desserts - the house speciality of cheesecake and a tiramisu which were both up to the standard we expected. For 3 courses each, 2 glasses of wine, fruit juice and water, plus the added service charge the bill came to 18,420 ft (68.20 euros). We ate inside next to a whacky fish tank - they had only one table free when we arrived so it's clearly a popular place and deservedly so.

Reviewed June 27, 2014

Arrived in Budapest late evening, desperately needed nourishment and happened to stumble upon this trattoria. What a find! The food was so good that we returned 2 days later. The waiter remembered what each of our group of four had ordered on the previous visit - plus drinks! We thoroughly enjoyed both the food and the ambience. Heartily recommended.

Reviewed June 9, 2014

There are so many places to eat in Budapest however we were attracted to this one as so many others are on busy roads. On a pedestrianised street in Pest with a small terrace outside, this was a quieter, less polluted alternative. I note a previous comment about the smokers outside being alongside the diners - I asked about smoking and the waiter pointed out an area, slightly away from diners.

We shared a meat and cheese selection to start which was served with fantastic home made bread. I then had probably the best pizza I have eaten outside Italy. Food quality all excellent.
It was not the cheapest meal we had in Budapest but it was the best: shared starter, pizza each, 2 beers, 2 prosecco and 2 expressos came in at approx £45 which we thought was good value for the standard of food. Recommended if you fancy a change from the excellent hungarian food.

1  Thank Gill W
Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

Loved the homemade pasta at this authentic style trattoria only blocks from the Danube on the Pest side of the river. It was so good we returned for a second night when I tried the pilaf which was excellent as well. We splurged on the cheesecake (we rarely have dessert) and it was fabulous.

Reviewed May 31, 2014

I live in Bp and decided to have dinner in TM with three of my children. I have occasionally had business lunch/dinner here before and was reasonably happy so I opted to try the place for family dinner. The food has always been decent, one that you can have say in l'Antica Badia, Fiesole. about 7 or 8/10 on my personal scale. My experience about service tonight was truly bad, however, so I decided to write this up. During dinner we were served properly, though with somewhat limited attention, I am not sure why. That is no reason for me to complain here though. The truly bad part came at payment. I was to pay for part of the bill with an employer provided restaurant card, sponsored through a government policy that was to expire next day, so this was the very last occasion to use these funds. At payment, it turned out that the funds available on the card would cover about half of the bill so I was to pay for the rest with cash or credit card, The waiter refused this, while he admitted during our to my taste way too lengthy discussion that the main reason for this is that he would need to write up a notice to the tax authority explaining the cancellation of a payment. In the end, I had to pay the full amount through my regular bank credit card.
Overall, barring the details, I left with the feel that the place cares about zero about losing a customer, as it is apparently not willing to pay the epsilon cost to keep him.

1  Thank hajek222