“Super”

Neighborhood: Terézváros
Blackburn, United Kingdom
“Super”
Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

Visited cafe Bouchon on the 11th March. Excellent restaurant, staff very friendly and welcoming, recommends wine, and explains menu. I was undecided which main to have, waiter told me if could choose 3 mains and have smaller potions, this was excellent service. The food was excellent. I would highly recommend this restaurant.

Visited March 2014

• Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Tokyo, Japan
“Looks can be deceiving... Unbelievable!”
Reviewed March 10, 2014

If you read no further, it was AMAZING! Go to this restaurant. Don't bother wasting time searching any longer. Its a winner!
Absolute moment - Before I write this review that we had the pleasure of meeting the author of the review "Best Restaurant in Budapest" Michael and his wife whom were dining in for a second time on their week long stay in Budapest... We actually had seen his review briefly before deciding on going to Cafe Bouchon as it was the latest review posted. The world can be tiny place can't it?
As we were walking to the restaurant we were walking past a lot of dinky wee restaurants and eateries that looked very modern, rustic and enticing; it crossed our minds that we may have chosen prematurely standing out the front of Cafe Bouchon. It turns out those thoughts were very ill placed. Moral - trust in Tripadvisor! What we were in for was at its price point some of the best food I've ever had. For a 4 course degustation menu with wine It cost a total including service for two NZD90. Which is a steal by western standards. The level of service was that of a Michelin rated restaurant but for a third of the price. The friendly bloke whom I assume was head of house is super friendly and his knowledge of the menu and how it's made, made the experience so much better. None of that "I need to ask the chef" shenanigans. The goats cheese starter was the best starter I've ever had. Was a delight to taste modern Hungarian cuisine at its finest. Like I said Unbelievable.

• Visited March 2014
3 Thank Ash P
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Best Restaurant in Budapest”
Reviewed March 7, 2014

When preparing this review, Trip Advisor asks if this was one of the best meals I have ever had in a restaurant. I answered yes because of the unique nature of the meal I had -- modernized Hungarian, with one very twenty first century appetizer. Better than excellent service, a tremendous value for the cost. What did I and my wife eat? She had a fresh greens, grape, tomato and Camembert salad and roasted salmon with a giant scalloped potato. My twenty first century appetizer was a plate of six small wraps -- similar to tapas -- of smoked salmon wrapped in avocado cream with a wasabi creamed dip. My main course was outrageous goulash -- the owner explained how it was made, let's just say it was was quite complex, tasted simple, the heart of it spies and meat cooked in a great deal of red wine. Dessert - semla - is also too complicated to explain -- s multilayered yet round something or other with the ingredients of a tiramisu plus walnuts and orange covered in a chocolate sauce. If you get it, order the small portion which was big enough for two. On that note -- unlike Zeller, another very good restaurant, Cafe Bouchon serves traditionally sized Hungarian portions which means a lot of food. I wrote a reiew of Zeller last night, I and my wife loved it, but Cafe Bouchon is a better restaurant. Every wine ct Cafe Bouchon is served by the glass if need be and it is the same cost per CL whether you get a glass or a bottle. I had a very smooth yet full Cabernet. If you engage the owner he is charming, informative, a very proud man who loves his work. You will love his restaurant. Oh, what did this cost? With the ten percent gratuity put on the bill, it was $94 US dollars, about one third to one fourth what it would have cost back home. The restaurant has a price fixed meal and while not on the menu, if you ask, they will prepare a sampler of any course in case you cannot make up your mind.

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank Michael S
Haddonfield, New Jersey
“Like being entertained in someone's home”
Reviewed March 2, 2014

The pride that the owners take in their restaurant and the food quality is obvious form the moment you are greeted. Slow, leisurely pace. the goulash is done with beef tenderloin and exceeds the quality of any other we had n Budapest.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank JANE B
Norwich, United Kingdom
“French Hungarian well fused”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Even though we had to wait for a table, the service was superb and the food some of the best we had - possibly more French than Hungarian and well cooked and served. Perfect place for a civilised meal before heading off to Instant!

Visited February 2014