“A true gem in Budapest”

Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Terézváros
Reviewed November 30, 2012

On a short holiday in Budapest, I discovered some rave reviews about Cafe Bouchon on Tripadvisor, and decided to try it out myself. It DEFINITELY lived up to its reputation.

The menu, which has a wide selection of starters, main courses, and desserts, is printed in at least 4 languages (I noted Hungarian, English, French, and German), and is supplemented by daily specials. The owner was available on demand to answer any question we had, and probably could have done so in a half dozen languages. We had trouble deciding, so I eventually chose a "multi-entree" dinner; they offer you the option of picking up to three mains, and you'll receive a 1/3rd portion of each one so you can try a bit of everything.

I had a delicious Hungarian goulash which was melt in your mouth tender, some very well prepared duck breast with a cherry-honey sauce, and a pork ragout with potato and bacon. In spite of the fact that it was a ton of food (You actually get rather more than 33% of each selection), I practically licked my plates.

My partner ordered a butterfish filet on a bed of spinach gnocchi, which were equally delicious. We also had a starter, something like a pancake/crepe wrapped around minced chicken and smothered in a paprika sauce; needless to say it was outstanding.

It's an ideal spot for a quiet, romantic dinner, and was remarkably affordable. Our meal included one starter, one regular main, one "triple" main (costs slightly more than a regular order), one beer and one glass of wine... And yet it came to about $75 CAD/USD. That included the tip! (I was so pleased I actually left another 2000 Forints, about $10, on top of that). Comparable food back home easily cost me double or triple that.

The ONLY word of caution I would have is that the selection of wine is all Hungarian, and... Hungary is not necessarily known for outstanding vintages, so keep your expectations of the wine realistic. The local beer was excellent, however. (Dreher)

I'd visit this restaurant again in a heartbeat. We didn't make reservations, although we could have, and fortunately we visited on a weeknight so they weren't booked up.

1  Thank CDNinNZ
Write a ReviewReviews (1,301)

Reviewed November 28, 2012

The best possible place to eat in Europe.
especially at Budapest.
If you have the chance - and time - to have a real dinner @ Budapest go for this place and ask for the owner Lajos..
he will give you a service like maybe a trainee would give you in a five star place in NY.

Really the place to eat at Budapest.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

Visited September 2011. We enjoyed a meal for two on our first night in Budapest. A quiet evening with few guests eating and therefore very attentive service. Food and drink were lovely, though not the cheapest. Host was gracious and welcoming.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

We had our best meal in Budapest here. The service was excellent and non intrusive as well. Good wine list.

1  Thank erntravels
Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

We went to cafe bouchon for a weekday lunch and literally had the whole place to ourselves. The home-made toast with tomato paste was as good as other reviewers described. We ordered the Beef Goulash with croquette and Chicken Breast - both were very good!

The waiter told us as he handed us our bill that service was already included. That made it very easy for both sides to get/give what was expected. Easy, fuss-free and good.