1,556 results
All reviewsnice hotelmargaret islandparliament buildingmetro stationrecommend this hotelsuperior roommini barminute walktea and coffeepublic transportreception staffcity breakbreakfast roomrooms are smallside streetbeautiful citybreakfast included
Reviewed October 19, 2010

I went to Budapest from the 3rd-6th Oct 2010 with my girlfriend (26yr and 30yr old)

Firstly the hotel is new, welcoming and the decor is very well finished. Its not exactly in the City centre (10min walk) but it is very close to all amenities. Rooms are not massive but they have very comfy beds, flat screen tv's, mini bar and good size bathroom and it made our stay very comfortable. Its not a hotel with views but we only paid £130 and got everything we hoped from the Marmara. Staff very friendly and on hand if I needed anything. I had forgot my phone charger and the staff was happy to let me borrow theirs, small things like that make the biggest impact. Breakfast was also very good, I would stick with a continental breakfast as the meat wasn't very appealing. Don't let that put you off though as everything else was top notch.

I spent 3 days there and not once did I get a taxi, probably a good thing as when I did get one (to the airport when flying home) we got ripped of for about £40. The driver was all nice and said it would cost £30 but when we got there he got very aggressive and was looking for £70. Avoid if you can and even if you agree a price in principle, they can rig the metre and start looking for extra (Blaming traffic etc). There by far the worst things about Budapest which is a shame as its a lovely city.

The public transport in contrast is fantastic and right on your doorstep at the Marmara, trams go by at a rate of 1 every 1-2min and the metro will take you to any corner of the city's in minute's, Not once were we charged for using a tram so I'm not sure if its free or if that's the norm. Metro costs no more than £1.50 which was great and up there with the Tube in London.

Overall Budapest was a lovely place for a wee break, lovely sites and make sure you visit the Baths (highlight of the holiday). I found the pub culture was very very quiet (this though may be as we were there Mon-Wed).

I would recommend the Marmara though as its a great quality hotel and I can't see anyone having many complaints. I hope this helps

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2010

Marmara Hotel Budapest

Situated in the heart of Budapest, the Marmara Hotel is ideally situated for all the main visitor attractions that this beautiful city has to offer.

Starting at the airport, you can buy a return ticket to the hotel on the airport shuttle bus service for about 3400HF or about £10. This takes you direct to the hotel which is about 1 hour’s journey in rush hour traffic.

The hotel is well furnished throughout with a good choice of décor. The rooms are clean and comfortable all have, private bathroom with shower, hair dryer, mini bar, kettle (but no tea or coffee, so take your own if you want a morning cuppa) free safe deposit box, LCD TV (pay view) with internet connection, air conditioning and direct dial telephone. Wi Fi users are charged in the rooms but it’s free if you use the reception area.

Although well situated, there is lots of road noise and we were constantly woken throughout the night by sirens from the emergency services passing by at the end of the road. Refuse collectors start working at 6am and give no thought to hotel guests sleeping.

The hotel is bed and breakfast only and the food is very good, however, the restaurant is not very big and at times we had to wait for a table. We were in a party of 6 and only managed to sit together once, but this was not a problem for us. The only other problem with the restaurant was the toaster, one small toaster for the whole hotel and queue’s formed for toast at breakfast but this is only a minor fault.

One of the easiest ways to see Budapest is by Hop On, Hop Off bus for about 4,000HF about £13 you can travel for 24 hours around the city stopping off at your leisure, this also includes 2x1 hour boat trip on the river Danube at your own convenience. Stop off at Margaret Island and take a peaceful stroll.

Visit the Hungarian parliament building and if you are from within the EU take your passport with you and entry is free but tours are only at 10am 12noon and 2pm.

The Bazilika is another great place to visit but beware of fraudsters pretending to be church officials and asking for payment, admission to the church is free.

Visit the House of Terror but only if you are prepared for the cruelty that waits inside. It’s a museum that charts the brutal methods employed by the two regimes that terrorised Hungary during the 20th century.

All told we had a great time in Budapest and the Hotel Marmara was fine and I would have no hesitation in staying there again should I ever return to Budapest.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank Doneit49
Reviewed September 18, 2010

I stayed there for 3 days and the room was spacious, I had a little balcony and could smoke outside with a view on the patio. The stuff was really friendly; due to my late arrival after a 7hours delay there were no problems at all and got me everything I wanted although it was already midnight. The bar staff was great as well, mixed my favourite coctail and the next day they arranged a quite corner where I could use the internet for free and could work. As a result the entire stay was a total positive suprise and I will go back the next time I have to stay in Hungary again. Actually, it was nicer as some of the prestigious 5star hotels I used to stayed before.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank FashionAdvisor
Reviewed September 6, 2010

I had booked in another hotel but due to a fludded room they switched me and arranged it for the Marmara. Very nice, stylish building and interior although I have no idea why the arabian style fits with this city .... proper room, very nice, with two (small) beds, very nice and clean bathroom, new TV with international programms. Breakfeast: although very stylish the whole atmosphere became a little bit like in a hostel. Cafe was not served but distributed in a coffee-machine - not the goldstandard for those who are willing to pay more than 1000 Euro for the espresso every morning ....Reception: Very nice service but not enough staff to handle the rush hour while checking out in the morning ....iPhone users: please notice that free wifi Internet access is only available in the lobby!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 4, 2010

What I liked about this hotel:
- location, downtown with good public transport links (tramsways, metro). Unlike some hotels in the most toutistic streets, it's quite easy to find local restaurants near by
- value for money (paid about £55pn). Given the price paid & hotel, I was very satisfied
- good effort for styling but needs better execution (for example, breakfast was nice - craissants and pains au chocolat were actually excellent but where was the bacon to go with the scrambled eggs?)

What I didn't like:
- room on the small side with no/little space for luggage (not a huge issue if you are only visiting for the weekend. watch out if you are travelling with large suitcases)
- hotel Marmara should read more often TripAdvisor and fix the existing. It's hard to change the layout of the bathroom (the walk-in shower is nice but the toilet location could be indeed an issue for someone very tall or overweight.. too late to sack the architect!). Nevertheless, repairing the venitian blinds and providing a few tea bags in the room is definitely something that needs to be addressed and can easily be fixed (it doesn't cost the earth! Same goes for the shower gel "samples". More adequate to wash your hands. That's why I put a 3 for the room
Given the price I paid for the room, I wasn't too bothered but if I had paid the room rate advertised in reception - 100 euros - I would have found such lack of attention to details very disappointing for a hotel claiming 4 stars.
- service wasn't bad, just average (I don't want to be too harsh on this point as I haven't been impressed by the quality of service in many places in Budapest)

If you manage to get a discounted rate, I really recommend this hotel for a weekend trip to Budapest

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo