“A good seafood restaurant”
Review of Restaurant Balzac35 - CLOSED

Restaurant Balzac35
Cuisines: European, Central European, Hungarian, French, International
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neusiedl am See, Austria
“A good seafood restaurant”
Reviewed March 5, 2012

I've already had good and bad experience at this restaurant. The food can be very nice, the chef is trying his best with the raw materials, but he could not do much when it's not the top quality. As it happened once. But the way "le Belge" prepares the dishes is just simple and tasteful.
To be honest and fair with them the service is lowering everything. Arrogant and far from being helpful.

• Visited May 2011
1 Thank InnSi

Budapest, Hungary
“The best lobster in Budapest, but don't miss the goose liver either!”
Reviewed February 19, 2012

Do make a reservation to avoid disappontment. Also come prepared to eat a lot of delicious food (by lot I mean 7+ courses) and good wines. I really like that the recommend Hungarian and international wines too, whatever goes best with the food.

The waiters are really kind and if you stay long enough and Philippe is done with cooking, he is coming out from the kitchen to say hi.

• Visited February 2012
“food for the soul”
Reviewed February 14, 2012

In this restaurant you will relaise how different could be between food and food. When you come out this restaurant after the meal you will find the world has changed it is because you had some special attention prepared food. That's all, try it :-))

• Visited December 2011
Budapest, Hungary
“Elegant and cozy Belgian restaurant with incredible delicacies”
Reviewed January 10, 2012

I have had a fantastic 6 courses dinner with my friends in this restaurant. I can hardly express my strong feelings and emotions when I am trying to describe this place and Philippe le Belge. He is absolutely familiar with all sorts of seafood, but my loose beef cheek was a memorable moment of my tasting experiences, too. The sweets shall not be missed!
Since then I went 5-6 times to this restaurent, and I were always perfectly satisfied. Please note that the price range exceeds the Budapest average, but this quality worths every Hungarian Ft.
If you are in Budapest and you have somebody in your heart, you should really go to this place and mesmerise her/him. You will experience a noble but cozy place, where you will not feel yourself embarrassed, but be part of the upper crust.

Moreover, there is an incredible bargain during 12.00-15.00 from Tuesday to Friday: a 5 courses brunch (not to mention welcome bites and delicious pastry) for only 2.200 HUF (not including drinks and the 10% service fee).

• Visited November 2011
Budapest, Hungary
“Atrocious, Offensive Service -- Don't Ruin Your Day”
Reviewed December 5, 2011

If there was a ranking for restaurants with the most unfriendly service, then Philippe would surely take the cake.

My wife and I live a block from Philippe's restaurant and we had talked for quite some time that one day we'd check out the place. This Saturday, after a bit of pre-Christmas shopping ,we ventured into the restaurant, which was about half-full. Since no waiter came up to us, we proceeded to head to an open table. Just before we could sit down, a waiter -- bizarrely wearing a winter coat -- blocks us and tells us that we can't sit down. He then asks if we made a reservation, even though there was no ''reserved'' card on any of the open tables. Since we didn't make a reservation, we can't sit down, he said.

I have absolutely no problem about not getting a table if all of them are taken or reservation cards are out and clearly visible. In this case, however, my wife and I -- independently of each other -- were convinced by the rude waiter that we didn't get a table because they didn't want to give us a table, all this in a half-empty restaurant and with the owner and chef, Philippe ''The Belgian'', looking on. We were offended by this treatment, which was undeserved and malicious.

I can't say anything about the food as obviously we will never go back to a place where we've been made to feel unwelcome. But I wonder why on earth someone would open a restaurant if he doesn't know how to make a guest feel welcome? An owner's first job in this case would have been to apologize and to fire the waiter. Instead, he looked on, approvingly or as if it didn't concern him. You can cook up the best food in the world, but if the guest is made to feel ill at ease, then the whole experience will be rotten.

I wish Philippe would take his restaurant elsewhere as it gives a bad name to Budapest and our lovely neighborhood. If you happen to be here, please go elsewhere to enjoy the hospitality this city can offer.

• Visited December 2011