“Elegant and cozy Belgian restaurant with incredible delicacies”
Review of Restaurant Balzac35 - CLOSED

Restaurant Balzac35
Cuisines: French, International
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 10, 2012

I have had a fantastic 6 courses dinner with my friends in this restaurant. I can hardly express my strong feelings and emotions when I am trying to describe this place and Philippe le Belge. He is absolutely familiar with all sorts of seafood, but my loose beef cheek was a memorable moment of my tasting experiences, too. The sweets shall not be missed!
Since then I went 5-6 times to this restaurent, and I were always perfectly satisfied. Please note that the price range exceeds the Budapest average, but this quality worths every Hungarian Ft.
If you are in Budapest and you have somebody in your heart, you should really go to this place and mesmerise her/him. You will experience a noble but cozy place, where you will not feel yourself embarrassed, but be part of the upper crust.

Moreover, there is an incredible bargain during 12.00-15.00 from Tuesday to Friday: a 5 courses brunch (not to mention welcome bites and delicious pastry) for only 2.200 HUF (not including drinks and the 10% service fee).

There are newer reviews for Restaurant Balzac35

Reviewed December 5, 2011

If there was a ranking for restaurants with the most unfriendly service, then Philippe would surely take the cake.

My wife and I live a block from Philippe's restaurant and we had talked for quite some time that one day we'd check out the place. This Saturday, after a bit of pre-Christmas shopping ,we ventured into the restaurant, which was about half-full. Since no waiter came up to us, we proceeded to head to an open table. Just before we could sit down, a waiter -- bizarrely wearing a winter coat -- blocks us and tells us that we can't sit down. He then asks if we made a reservation, even though there was no ''reserved'' card on any of the open tables. Since we didn't make a reservation, we can't sit down, he said.

I have absolutely no problem about not getting a table if all of them are taken or reservation cards are out and clearly visible. In this case, however, my wife and I -- independently of each other -- were convinced by the rude waiter that we didn't get a table because they didn't want to give us a table, all this in a half-empty restaurant and with the owner and chef, Philippe ''The Belgian'', looking on. We were offended by this treatment, which was undeserved and malicious.

I can't say anything about the food as obviously we will never go back to a place where we've been made to feel unwelcome. But I wonder why on earth someone would open a restaurant if he doesn't know how to make a guest feel welcome? An owner's first job in this case would have been to apologize and to fire the waiter. Instead, he looked on, approvingly or as if it didn't concern him. You can cook up the best food in the world, but if the guest is made to feel ill at ease, then the whole experience will be rotten.

I wish Philippe would take his restaurant elsewhere as it gives a bad name to Budapest and our lovely neighborhood. If you happen to be here, please go elsewhere to enjoy the hospitality this city can offer.

4  Thank DiscerningTraveler08
Reviewed August 25, 2011

For me the best restaurant in budapest, Philippe is a verry good guy. The cuisine is a reall plaisure. The ambiance of this place is verry good, itt a real plaisir. The lobster menu, the seafood menu and the gourmand menu it's a verry good experience. The wine list verry interresting and the waiter Laci is the best in budapest. Thanck you very much Philippe.

Reviewed July 23, 2010

I lived for 5 years in Budapest, and thought much of the "screw you over now, damn the consequences" mentality had gone - at least for what want to be higher-end restaurants.

My food was quite good, but my sister in law had specified no carrots or tomatoes, due to allergies. When she complained, the waiter took her plate away, and in plain view, scraped them off before bringing it back. But the best bit was the bill, at least 25% higher than it should have been. When we asked to see the menu, we were given an all-Hungarian version. After demanding the original multilingual version, we could see the real prices.
The smiling toad of a waiter couldn't even apologize.

I'd rather burn my money than eat there again.

Also, the place REEKS of fish, which hit my nostrils the moment I git in.

My brother - a corporate lawyer who has lived in Budapest 17 years - says many restaurants are little more than money laundering fronts. Go figure.

2  Thank DavidAsnieres_France
Reviewed December 13, 2009

My first impression is about the staff. The were absolutely unfriendly, arrogant. Oh, god! Let's see if the menu is fine, but behind the fancy cover-names the dishes itselfs are nothing special. I am a bit disappointed. Maybe because the interior is well designed. However the price too high, and the food is on low... Not recommended, sadly.

2  Thank Saverdera