“Good food/wonderful atmosphere”

Cuisines: Hungarian
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: District I / Buda
Reviewed May 4, 2012

I stumbled upon this cozy cafe while walking back from the Gellert Spa to my studio on Ponty Utca. Actually, I had passed by several restaurants along the way, but what brought me back to this one was the decor - its unconventional design with sofas, armchairs, all inviting me in. Plus the menu on display offering traditional Hungarian dishes at reasonable prices!

When I returned, the first floor dining area was almost full so I opted to sit upstairs overlooking the dining area downstairs. There is also a table by the balcony with a great view of the Danube. I ordered goulash and chicken paprika. Hungarian food just tends to be a tat too salty for me, but the goulash was absolutely wonderful - not too salty either! The chicken very tender. The sauce is not too salty if you eat it with the wonderfully textured "home-style" noodles.

Service-wise, there was only one waiter, but he was very efficient and friendly. My meal, including a glass of wine, totaled slightly over 4000 florints, was much better than my meal in the touristy central district. I highly recommend a visit to this family-run restaurant after a visit to the Castle District. It is only a short walk from the Sikló. They also have a website: www.marvelosa.eu

Reviewed April 29, 2012 via mobile

The restaurant is located on the buda pest. Great food and nice decoration. Very highly recommended.

Reviewed January 23, 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed this restaurant. I ate the chicken paprika which was delicious and, quite frankly, the best I had while in Budapest. My husband had the Hungarian goulash which was delicious as well. We so enjoyed this restaurant that we made a return trip on our final night. The waiter not only remembered us but also offered us a free slice of apple pie that still makes my mouth water just thinking about it (my husband who does not like apple pie actually enjoyed it as well). These are good people who serve good food. They went out of their way to give us a good meal and good experience. I highly recommend stopping here while you are in the Castle District. The prices are comparable to any other restaurant on the Pest side.

1  Thank Peper81
Reviewed January 15, 2012

Found this place after walking down from the castle. Lovely soups, very nice inside like a tea room. Great homemade cakes.

Reviewed January 7, 2012

This restaurant is a few minutes walk down from Castle Hill so we were expecting overpriced tourist traps and had low expectations but this is a real find. Quite easy to wander past but worth hunting out should you be peckish nearby.

My girlfriend & I ate a filling and reasonable Chicken Paprika dish (served with a wonderful type of noodles we've never tasted before). My Dreher beer cost less than £2 and the service was friendly and swift. A real effort has been made with the interior; colourful furniture, relaxing low slung armchairs, gilded mirrors).

Thoroughly recommended.