“Much looked forward to- sadly disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Olimpia

Olimpia
Ranked #324 of 3,092 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: European, Central European, Hungarian, International, Contemporary, Fusion
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: District VII / Jewish Quarter
Durham, United Kingdom
“Much looked forward to- sadly disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

I had been looking forward to going for quite some time, having read some very positive reviews on TripAdvisor and heard good things on web sites. A delayed wedding anniversary celebration proved the ideal excuse. It is situated in deepest district 8 near Keleti Station in an area that might be described as “up and coming”. The quirk of the restaurant is that there is no menu. The courses are fixed but if you have any allergies they can change certain items. You can start at 4 courses or go up to 7 courses. We chose the 4 course menu (although we were promised the 5 course menu when we booked as a special offer).

Our first impressions were good. It seemed busy and there was a lively buzz. It soon went downhill. We were left for a long time before they came to take our drinks order and when the waiter realised (after telling him more than once) that we did not want to take the wine offer which included wines to match the dishes for an undisclosed sum his attitude became even more offputting. The wine list though quite extensive seemed a little on the pricey side to me- but then I am not a wine buff.

Our food started arriving and a small amuse bouche was followed by our starter- duck liver with smoked eel. I liked the smoked eel but will be happy never to taste duck liver again. Having studiously avoided goose liver since coming here (too too cruel) I was not really too happy about the duck. This is one of the perils of eating in this kind of place. We were left for long periods of time with no food or drink. The waiter kept our wine bottle and only topped our glasses up when he remembered- not very often. Our soup course was a vegetable consomme with a few mussels floating in it- they did not add anything to the flavour and seemed a bit of an empty gesture. We had arrived at 7.30 but it was now past 9 and our food intake had been very minimal. The main course arrived and what there was of it was good, slow roasted pork with a reduced sauce and a few vegetables. I was very happy to get our dessert of plum crumble cake as this meant we could leave!

I would love to say that we had spent a lovely 3 hours but all I can really remember is the surly waiter, being hungry and feeling very uncomfortable. The handmade ceramic crockery was much admired by me though. At 5000 HUF each for the food it was not bad value but we will not be going back and if you do I would suggest that the 7 course option might be an idea although it would probably take 5 hours. Hubby has been to a similar very famous restaurant in Lyon and he claims that the food was much better and the staff far ruder- but with a certain Gallic charm!

Maybe we just expected too much. The food and the service in particular does not warrant such rave reviews in my opinion.

• Visited November 2012
3 Thank zanzibarsamarkand

• Hungarian first
budapest
“why haven't michelin visited?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

Went to Olimpia again last night for my birthday. Four of us had the full 7 course experience and the time just flew by in sensory pleasure. No designer decor, no background music, just bookshelves of cookery books and an outpouring of surprising and successful combinations of tastes and textures with a new wine to accompany every course. Not for everyday and not for a fast meal but for a special, lingering dinner with people you like I don't think it can be beaten.

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank hattyu
Budapest
“the best choice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

Olimpia is the very best choice if you want to enjoy fine dining at its best for much nicer prices than usual for this quality. If you are able to appreciate culinary art, go and try what Lajos Takács, Hungary's top chef creates.

• Visited August 2012
Budapest, Hungary
“Excellent restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

I went for dinner there to give a try to the restaurant, they serve 2 courses for 1,950 and 3 courses for 2,250 HUF which is not bad for the quality. Soda is included in the prices.
First I could choose between salad and cucumber soup with beef, next you can choose from 3 different main dishes and finally you can choose a dessert. Everything was good and tasty, and it was pretty crowded, I had to wait 10 minutes to be seated, but it was worth waiting :)

• Visited August 2012
“vert god food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012 via mobile

We really recommends this restaurant:-) Excellent good good and very pleasant service:-)
From Tone and Anne Kristin