“Duck liver forever”

Cuisines: Diner, Hungarian, Contemporary, International
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: District VII / Jewish Quarter
Reviewed June 27, 2012

I've fallen in love. Not with somebody, but with the duck liver. Ask the Chef to make you some if it's not on the day's menu. Maybe if you ask nicely, Haven will open for you. Or just try it on some other day anyway. There's no need to think about the menu or the drinks, just ask for the whole menu and the very well prepared waiters will offer you the best drinks that fit to the meals. I've been there for a business dinner, family occasion and with my boyfriend. Never disappointed. Dear Tripadvisor can you please put a 6th circle for the Olimpia? Or a 5+? Five is just not enough...

1  Thank Pikozsu

Reviewed June 21, 2012

We ordered and paid for 4-courses and got 7 anyway. Maybe an error, or that they just had some food left. Spectacular dishes that felt like a real journey of food. Nice not having to decide the food. Only minus points for a slightly dry duck leg and that it was a little bit too bright. Here what we got, in Swedish: en het gazpacho med bläckfisksallad, gåslever med rökt skinka och mangomousse, fisksoppa med musselkräm, anklår med ängsblomssallad, tretal i ostkuber, aprikoskapsel med nötgrus eller svartvinbärsmousse på mandelmassebotten med smultronsås och chokladtryffelmousse på nötsmulor.

Reviewed June 10, 2012

Not a common touristy restaurant located in the worker's quarter of Budapest.
Despite of location the food quality and preparation of dishes are high standard.
I went back a few times for lunch and always found high quality ingredients and professional service.
The only drawback is that they don't have a menu on Internet as they cook from fresh ingredients available on market. You have a choice of 2-3 different plates per course for lunch.
3 courses lunch menu for 8 Eur is cheap regarding high quality, but expensive to Budapest standard.
Park your car at "Garay piac" secured parking house nearby - first hour is free - as the street parking might be unsafe and expensive.

2  Thank ben77777
Reviewed May 19, 2012

I was invited to the place from. If you come there you wonder what you are doing there as it looks from the outside like a normal Greek restaurant.

The clou about it is the food. The Chef buys all products every morning on the (local?) market and then prepares what he thinks. So far, nothing special. However, you cant choose what you get. You can only choose how many dishes you want to have. My colleague assured me the food was really good and since we didnt have anything to do the evening we went for the 10 course menu. To what I saw the minimum is 4 courses.

With the order you "commit" to the amount of the courses. You cant change in between and order more (at least we were told), because the Chef is preparing the course selection based on the amount of dishes you order.
The variety of dishes ranged from duck, pig, sturgeon, a wide range of souces with e.g. Strawberries, salad, veggies and so much more. Besides one (rhubarb dessert) dish everything was really great – some really surprising – in a very positive way.

At the beginning we were asked about the drinks and I told them to bring the wine(s) that go well with the dishes. So you get about a glas / 2 dishes. All wines were Hungarian, as far as I could see, and they were all good and going well with the dishes. Except may be the dish with the light Wasabi sauce; but then there arent too many wines that go with Wasabi.

The service was very attentive and friendly and you had the feeling of being very welcome, which I liked a lot.

The place in itself is small, has a calm atmosphere and invites sitting there for some hours; nothing fancy – just nice. I was told that you need to reserve and they wont take guests without reservation. But I am not sure if that is true or not. However, the place only takes about 25 people, so you better do a reservation.

So overall the place is a real recommendation and 100% worth the time you spent there.

Reviewed May 12, 2012

I dine at Olimpia quite regularly, and enjoyed my recent visit as much as my previous visits. I especially enjoy the fact that each course is an unknown and you do not know what culinary surprise awaits you. The ingredients are always fresh and creatively prepared, and there are many unusual combinations. On my recent visit, some of my favourites were sushimi on a bed of seaweed served with goat cheese on a bed of tomato salsa; and then later grilled goat in curry sauce with nettle strudel; this topped off with a finale of blackberry mousse with pear and lime ice cream -- delicious!

Although this restaurant isn't for everyone -- especially if you do not like not knowing what you will eat. If you are in for a culinary adventure, I couldn't recommend it more!