“harry met sally experience”
Review of Olimpia

Olimpia
Ranked #384 of 3,205 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: Diner, Hungarian, Contemporary, International
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: District VII / Jewish Quarter
budapest
“harry met sally experience”
Reviewed November 6, 2011

I'm someone who sometimes doubts whether it's worth eating out, if you can make a better meal at home, choose a better wine for half fhe price. With Olimpia though I find myself daydreaming about the duck pate with smoked sturgeon and mango mousse, or the melt-in the mouth pork. It's not much to look at, a semi basement smallish room that reminds me of London restaurants in the 80's. You choose a taster menu with 3-7 courses. My impression (somewhat blurred) is that if you choose 5, as we did, somehow other small 'amuse-bouches' turn up too. What I particularly loved, the three times I've been there, are the wines chosen to match the taster menu. Although a frequent visitor to Budapest, I haven't got my head around the wines. Now I find I look up their wines to try at home. It isn't cheap at dinner, but I've been there for a 3 course lunch which was also heavenly and very reasonable, so it can be a manageable treat.

• Visited November 2011

• Hungarian first
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“One of the top choices in town”
Reviewed July 18, 2011

I've tried twice, and had a great time always. Birs pálinka for appetizer, and you can let them suggest wines for each of the courses. The value for the price is really good for a gourmet restaurant like this. Owner and chef in one, Lajos Takács is one of the top guns of local gastronomy.

1 Thank Mardipop
Budapest, Hungary
“Its OK but overpriced”
Reviewed February 26, 2011

We went for a birthday dinner... food was OK but overpriced, very good wines and great atmosphere... if you are the kind of people that like to try what the chef has prepared for the day - go for it...

• Visited February 2011
Budapest, Hungary
“probably the worst service in Budapest, completely overrated restaurant”
Reviewed November 3, 2010

What I experienced here as service:

I noted to the waiter that the white wine served was not cold enough (usually I would not complain about it, but this time it was far from acceptable temperature). I suggested that they should be putting it back to the fridge for a while; the waiter put it into ice instead, which is fine. Later, when I complained again that it is not cold enough the waiter checked its temperature in the following, very special way: he put his finger as a cork to the bottle and poured some wine on it, while his finger in the bottle (I did not find it too hygienic, but anyway, he did not pay that much attention). Then he suggested that the temperature is ok already and anyway I should not be complaining as every wine expert could tell me that this wine has great taste.

Later, suddenly the waiter came to hour table and removed a chair (on which previously he kept our mineral water) and rushed out the place to provide the chair for those smoking outside.

These might not sound terrible incidents, however, if these are happening in a restaurant considered among Budapest Top10, then there are some significant defects in the gastronomic culture of the country. Honestly, I still can not understand how a restaurant with this kind of service level can be considered one of the best restaurants of Budapest.

Instead of this restaurant, I would suggest Csalogany26, M, Borsso, or Mak Bisztro, etc. where the service is great and you are happily tipping. And waiters are there to serve and not to give you lessons on wine tasting. It is your money you are spending, not theirs, anyway.

3 Thank marconi76
Houston, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Simply the best”
Reviewed August 9, 2010

What to say. . . One of the best places I ever went. It is totally different of everything what you have ever saw. Dinner starts around 7-8 and is finished around 11. There are several dishes that are prepared by chef and except him no one knows what will be for dinner (only on Thursday when is seafood night and except that everything is unknown; it was in January when I went). During day he will go to market and buy food that he will prepare for dinner and when you arrive you will see what he has prepared and you can choose are you going to eat 3-4-5 or more dishes. All portions are small so you do not have to worry are you be able to eat all food, you will be only sorry if you do not order all dishes since food is excellent. Unfortunately you can not choose what you will eat, you can choose only number of dishes. All guests are getting food in the same time, so every one are finish at approximately the same time. During the dinner you can drink wine if you pleas and they have big list of wines in which you can enjoy, since I did not try them I'll not say anything on wine quality. Prices are little bit to high but when you try the food only thing what you will be thinking of is why did not you order all dishes or how is the food so good, and about prices you will not think until it is time to pay. It is very nice if you want to go whit someone on a date, since there is max 40 people inside so it is quite and also it is sort of romantic. Do not forget it is possible that you will need to make reservation few days in advance so do not expect to be served if you just pop in.
Next time when I visit Budapest I'll go there for sure even if I'm only one night there. I was there in beginning of January (January 9th) and I still have the taste of food in my mouth. . .

1 Thank Ilija_Jegdic