“Circus fantastic!”

Ranked #24 of 639 Specialty Lodging in Budapest
cambridge, england
“Circus fantastic!”
Reviewed March 21, 2014

I have recently stayed at the Lavender Circus for two nights and it was a great unique experience. The hostel has a great location, within walking distance of most attractions, but also meters from a metro station. I got the 200E from the airport and then the metro (only 8 stops to the hostel) which is where the bus terminates. In the arrivals hall at the airport I got a transfer ticket for both the bus and then metro for 520F- there is a counter to your left as you come through arrivals, behind the tourist info booth
The hostel is across from the National Museum and just after the Irish Cat pub and a café - just ring the buzzer for the hostel to let you in- as mentioned in previous reviews, there are a lot of steps, but as the building is protected, they are unable to install a lift.
Upon arrival, I was immediately made to feel welcome by the staff (who also offered shots of Palinka & some wine)- Flower in particular was really nice and helpful. The staff were just about to have their lunch, and offered myself and another couple who had arrived, to join them which was so lovely (and the food was even lovelier!) This was in the common room which also had kitchen facilities ( inc free tea & coffee)- a really nice chilled space.
I booked one of the apartments which was on the second floor- it was big, spotless and had plenty of hot water from the shower! It was great to also have a kitchen in this space (there are a few supermarkets nearby) and I made use of this on a few occasions!
The security of the hostel is also fantastic- I always felt safe when in my apartment and wasn't worried about leaving my stuff there when I went out.
Flower spent time going through the map (which she gave to me) and giving recommendations- the few that I managed to try were spot on. There are so many cafes & restaurants near the hostel, you certainly won't go hungry! Raday Utca is a great street for bars, cafes & restaurants and is about a five minute walk from the hostel.
I picked up a leaflet from the hostel about free walking tours and went on the general walking tour and the communist tour- if pushed for time, I would recommend the general walking tour (every day 10:30 and then 2:30, meeting point is at Vorosmarty Ter by the Lion fountain) it was really useful insightful and I actually felt that I learned something. I even went back to the Chain bridge at night to see it all lit up as well as the castle- breath-taking!
I would visit Budapest again, and although I tend not stay in the same hostels twice, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again- location, value for money, security, chilled atmosphere- definitely a winner!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank katlina79

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Amritsar, India
Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

Me and my friend stayed here for 4 nights, from arrival to departure the Overall stay was lovely. We had a double room over looking the national museum. The hostel is in a excellent location and we realized we could walk almost everywhere however if walking isn't for your there is a metro station opposite. This hostel is also easy to access via public transport cheaply from the airport. The staff I must say are very accommodating, they will help you with your trip from where to eat to where to shop. I love the vibe of the hostel, they play lovely tribe type music(not loud), the decorating is very quaint and makes it a comfortable place to stay. I would recommend this hostel to any couple or friends. Be sure to check out the recommendations the staff highlight on the map all are definitely worth the trip.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank libertinedreamer7
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Great staff, cheap and clean rooms and it has a central positioning. We have been to Budapest several times and stayed in different hostels every time, but next time we will come back to this one for sure!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Puebla, Mexico
Reviewed February 20, 2014

I usually don´t write reviews but I must say that this hostel deserved one! it was probably the most special place i`ve been for the price! its cosy, original, quirky and clean... all in one! I strongly recommend this place for anyone visiting Budapest.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank BBriones
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We stayed here in January 2014 and it was fantastic. The hostel is centrally located and perfect for getting around the city. The place is decorated like most hostels in Budapest with quirky bits and pieces. Our room was very clean. Our hosts put on a Hungarian dinner for all guests on the Saturday evening and it turned into a great night out for all. The staff are incredibly helpful and recommended many great places for good food and sightseeing.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Megan W
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 26, 2014

This hostel was just lovely! The location is amazing, right across from the National Museum and near two different metro stops, surrounded by heaps of amazing (and well priced) restaurants, just around the corner from the main market hall and easy walking distance to the Jewish Quarter, 'ruin' bars, St Stephen's church etc.

At first, this doesn't look like your average hostel as it housed inside a gorgeous, historic building. There's no lift (as it's a protected building) so the 3 flights are a bit of a work-out but totally manageable. The hostel itself is warm, cosy and beautifully decorated with wall-murals and eclectic furniture. On arrival, we were greeted by Emma (I think her name was Emma? Anyway, she was lovely!), who sat us down with some wine and marked a whole heap of restaurants, cool bars and vintage stores and all the major tourist spots on our map. We'd never experienced such friendly, helpful hostel staff and it really made a huge difference to our stay to be so warmly welcomed and have so many places to eat and visit recommended to us. The hostel also puts on a weekly dinner party for guests, which we unfortunately missed, but if you're staying over the weekend that's definitely something to look forward to.

Our room was beautiful - large and spacious with super high ceilings and a view of the museum. It had a basic kitchen with a microwave and fridge, which was great for breakfasts, and the bathroom was large, clean and had a huge shower with plenty of hot water.

And the price was just fantastic! After arriving from Paris, we were amazed at not only the value of this hostel but also of Budapest as a whole.

If you're looking for a typical 'party hostel' or maybe more of a hotel-hostel, this place might not be for you. But if you're looking for something a little more chilled and homely, Lavender Circus is a MUST!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Lmur1425
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed January 10, 2014

We do not travel a lot, but this place was the best hostel we have seen so far. This was our first time in Budapest and staff helped us a lot, they were very friendly and generous. There was even an after dinner party and we have met great people in there.

Building is a little creepy at first sight, but our room was very large, had its own bathroom and kitchen (double private) and it was super cheap compared to Nordic countries (I can only compare with them).

Only negative thing I can say is that beds weren't comfortable. It hasn't been an issue for us though. Stayed only 2 days.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple