“My top favorite hostels in world”

Big Fish Budapest Hostel
Ranked #70 of 667 Specialty Lodging in Budapest
Reviewed October 30, 2012

While traveling i started to appreciate places i stay in for some things like personality, friendly, clean, location, internet and price.
This hostel met all my needs and made my short stay in Budapest much more enjoyable.
Cleanliness:
It was clean no weird smells and other little things that all hostels have.
Comfort:
Is small and cozy, the design and staff are friendly and i enjoined their little decoration ideas.
Wifi:
Use for work and research, did not had any problems with speed,(it's free) and they have to computers ready to be used.
Location:
Second ring, on erzebet korut, dontown is compact. and even first day is easy to find your way.
Price:
Definitely kept me on the budget, payed 14 euro and 18 euro for a night.

Place can be booked in high season so be sure to get the reservation.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank afinanika
There are newer reviews for Big Fish Budapest Hostel

Reviewed October 10, 2012

This is very nice hostel, very welcoming and warm experience! The reception staff was truly helpful with all tips, friendly and smiley ;) The location of the hostel is perfect! Hostel is small but the atmosphere is very easy going and relaxed. Rooms are cozy and nice decorated, pretty spacious. Bathroom clean, kitchen very good and in hostel is also common area where you can meet other backpackers. I recommend Big Fish hostel to all travelers and i will go back to this hostel if i go to Budapest!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Great central hostel, stayed in a 10 bed dorm for a good price. Hostel was clean staff were really friendly and helpful. The hostel run pub crawl is one pub crawl I would recommend went to some really interesting bars and clubs instead or the standard stuff. Hostel has free kitchen and computers which are always helpful. Long story short cant recommend this place enough

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Using the tram or metro the Hostel is very easy to find, and the location itself is very good, close to the well-known "Szimpla" ruin bar, tram line and metro station. The hostel itself was OK (Not worth the 20€ i paid for but it was the last bed in the hostels from the city center area, and for some reason Budapest hostels, which are buildings almost falling apart practice Vienna's prices ) , staff is really amazing. bathrooms and the rooms could be cleaner. No luggage room afters, if you want you can leave your backpack in the living room.

+ Location
+ Staff
+ Hostel atmosphere
+- Room lockers (But not very good ones)
- No luggage room
- Price
- Creepy building
- Warm rooms
- No room keys, so everybody could enter your room

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 11, 2012

I would absolutely recommend this hostel. We've arrive by bike a budapest with bikes and took a double room that was really big (we did'nt know that). Big enough to put our two bikes inside and the two boxes to pack them back to our country, and the staff offered the option to do that. Even though if you doesn't take private room, there is safe place to lock the bikes inside the building without any problem. We have lock them there finally.

Regards

Room Tip: I would absolutely recommend this hostel. We've arrive by bike a budapest with bikes and took a...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Edgar D
Reviewed July 30, 2012

This relatively small hostel on the Pest side of the city is very cosy and was just perfect for our group of 8 to stay at for a long weekend. The staff is wonderful and really patient! It was never too much to help us out with a spa or dinner reservation or just some general advice. The common area is nice and you can buy breakfast at the supermarket on the corner of the block the hostel is located at. If you need some quiet, ask for a bed in the room at the backside of the hostel, as the rooms at the front get quite a lot of noise from the busy street. Also, some of the mattresses were quite thin. The spotless bathrooms and the easygoing vibe make up for this right away though!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Good hostel with a perfect location in a wonderful city. The hostel is located pretty much in the centre, close to the metrostation Blaha Lujza tér. The rooms and beds were clean, the staff was friendly and extremely helpfull (more details on this last part later), the bathroom was clean and pretty luxurious for a hostel, the kitchen was ready for use, with many attributes being available (including herbs, for instance). Living room was cosy and was a nice spot to interact with the other guests. There was a computer with an (fast) internet connection, that could be used free of charge. However, most of the day the son of one of the staff members was watching YouTube clips on the computer, so it was not really available at all times.. The hostel is maybe a bit expensive, but you have to remind yourself that you're visiting a capital and I think they offer a lot of quality for this money.
Sidenote on the helpfull staff, when I arrived at the hostel for the first time, me and my friends did not book anything in advance. We had written down 5 hostels in the centre and assumed that at least one of them would have place. The fifth attempt was at the Big Fish Hostel. Unfortunately, they didn't have place as well. However, where in the other hostels we were just told that they were very sorry and we were sent away, the lady at the reception started calling other hostels to see if they had place and she kept on doing so (and it took awhile..) until she finally found one for us. Because of they were so helpfull that time, me and my friends decided that we wanted to stay in the Big Fish Hostel the next year when we came back to Budapest again. And also that year, I experienced the helpfullness of the staff.

One day I ate at one of the many Chinese buffetrestaurants (it's tasty and cheap, but a bit tricky.. They are responsible for the majority of food-borne illnesses in Budapest!) and at night I suddenly became very sick. The guy present at the time was extremely nice and did everything to help me. He tried to comfort me and when it became worse he made sure a docter came to check on me. After some medication it went better for a couple of hours, but unfortunately it came back. The guy didn't own a car himself, so he called his boss (the owner of the hostel himself). He rushed me to the nearest medical centre in the middle of the night where I had some more medication. The doctor also gave me some perscription for some pills I had to take for the next days and the guy from the hostel went to get them for me from the pharmacist in the early morning, along with some easy digestible food the doctor said I could have. I had to pay for those treatments of course and the guy from the hostel paid in advance. They also gathered all receipts and made sure that the docter wrote some things in English, so it would be easier for me to claim the money from my insurance. Of course, maybe you can consider it 'normal' that they help a guest out when he's sick, but still I think it's worth mentioning. I'm still very grateful for the fact that they spent the entire night taking care of me and it shows that the people that work in the Big Fish Hostel have their heart in the right place. I can only recommend a stay in this hostel!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends