“Perfect hotel in Budapest”

Hotel Palazzo Zichy
Ranked #4 of 332 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Palazzo Zichy is an excellent hotel nicely situated in a quiet eastern part of the city center, easy walk to the Central Market Hall and shops/restaurants on Vaci utca, 30 minutes walk to Chain Bridge and Parliament, or you can use nearby metro and bus lines. Hotel’s surrounding is a nice combination of small squares and side streets with cafes.
The check-in was quick, the front desk staff pleasant and efficient. The elevator worked smoothly and never had to wait too long for it. The hotel has a modern and fresh look, and it is very clean throughout. Just aside from the receptionist area is a nice comfy lounge with fantastic coffee machine, snacks, and a fridge stacked with bottled water which is all freely available until 5 pm. The hotel has one of the best business centers that I’ve seen, with two laptops, several PC machines and a printer, which all worked perfectly. Hotel’s restaurant serves excellent, plentiful breakfast buffet in a nicely designed atrium.
I booked a Junior Suite which was beautiful, on the top floor, overlooking a small church and roofs of nearby buildings. The room had several large windows that open to provide fresh air, lots of natural light, and was quiet except one night when people on the other side of the wall were extremely noisy. I liked the wooden floors in the room, lots of closet space and a laptop size safe. The only complaint was that Junior Suite was advertised as having king or queen size bed, while instead there were two single beds pushed together. But the bed was comfortable and these little things couldn’t spoil the great feeling of staying in such a nice room. Everything in the room worked perfectly. The bathroom was clean, modern and functional, with a nice combination of rainshower and handheld shower.
Overall my stay at Palazzo Zichy was excellent and I highly recommend staying there. I would definitely return because this hotel truly deserves its high ranking on Trip Advisor. Actually my great experience with this hotel started even before arriving there, thanks to Judit Rozsa, their Guest Relations Manager. Judit was wonderful, communicating promptly via email regarding my special requests and providing much useful information. Her kindness and professionalism, as well as the friendly and helpful staff of the hotel, sealed my positive impression about Palazzo and I can’t wait to visit again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Gazda
There are newer reviews for Hotel Palazzo Zichy

Reviewed April 2, 2014

Lovely small hotel , set in a quiet square . Very easy to get to all areas in a very accessible city. The rooms are small but beautifully decorated - all feel very new & contemporary. The free tea/coffee until 5pm was a bonus - it would however have been nice to have facilities in the room for that early morning drink but that is the only small fault I could mention.
The staff were all extremely pleasant & helpful from initial booking to the end of our stay.
Breakfast had a very good choice, tables swiftly cleared & set.
I think this hotel is an excellent choice, and very good value. Wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 31, 2014

This is such a deceiving hotel and peacefully tucked in a great location; easy to walk to the city with cafes and bars within close proximity. The hotel entrance is spectacular and the staff were incredibly attentive and always willing to oblige. The decor is spectacular, traditional meets contemporary. The breakfast was fabulous.............and free coffee and water throughout the day in the lobby. We loved this stay and wouldn't certainly return. We booked all of our extra services ie. taxi, dinner at the Museum Cafe and city tour through the hotel and so glad we did! Overall I would highly recommend this Hotel. Loved it!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Dorette
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Lets start with the cons - the location is ONLY very good, not amazing. You can walk to several metro lines, and a few restaurants, but its not like its 5 min from the coolest bar/restaurant/city attraction.

OK, we got the con out of the way

Superb staff - very professional and happy to help with anything, and happy to explain like the same thing to me 5 times without making me feel too stupid!

Great breakfast buffet - huge variety and FRESH SQUEEZED GRAPEFRUIT JUICE

Rooms are a liiiiitle bit small, but very nice and comfortable

There is a legit sauna in the basement - bring a few beers in and enjoy.

Free snacks and coffee in lobby until 5PM

Yeah, thats it - maybe its a little pricey, but a great hotel

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ilovecorndogs
Reviewed March 29, 2014

Such an amazing hotel! I read so many good things about this hotel on TA but just could not believe any place could be tops in all categories but it is. We go for high end but like maintaining a low profile, i.e. not reception looking for how many pieces of LV luggage and this hotel is just perfect. Located in a once not so great district the area is up and coming, quiet and just as accessible to any part of downtown as the most fashionable areas. Housed in a refurbished palace it is beautifully restored, has outstanding service in ALL categories including maid service, reception help and service and, as all have stated, a wonderful breakfast. We loved it! Reception will arrange taxis to/from airport in event language or forints present a problem. Enjoy!

Room Tip: one room with a balcony - junior suite. Lovely
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ccshirley
Judit_Rozsa, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Palazzo Zichy, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2014

Dear „ccshirley”,

I can not be grateful enough for your generous review left on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at our Hotel Palazzo Zichy.
It made me truly happy to see that you had enjoyed your city break with us and all facilities and services could meet or even exceed your expectations. I especially would like to thank you for highlighting our great location and the professional service provided by my colleagues in all departments.
I would like to thank you once again for your compliments and we are looking forward to welcoming you again!

With kind regards,

Judit Rózsa

Reviewed March 29, 2014

Short review only to echo previous comments.
Very helpful and pleasant staff.
Brilliant breakfast.
Lovely room.
Location is just on the outskirts of the centre with an easy walk in.
Would definitely stay there again.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PHIN_FOGGY

Dear „PHIN_FOGGY”,

First of all let me thank you for staying at our Hotel Palazzo Zichy and for posting a comment on the most popular travellers’ site about your city break with us.
I was gladly reading your positive review about our hotel and the location. It made me especially happy to see that you could experience our rich breakfast buffet accompanied by a professional service.
Thank you very much for recommending our hotel and we truly hope to have the pleasure of meeting you soon again!

Best regards,

Judit Rózsa

Reviewed March 27, 2014

Although this is a big call, I can honestly say that the Palazzo Zichy is the best 4 star hotel I have ever stayed in! This is based on my personal experiences from having stayed in approximately 150 hotels in my life ranging from no star to deluxe 5 star hotels across all continents.

There are many reasons why this hotel is outstanding. The building itself is unique, the attentive and genuine service, quality and presentation of food and beverage, stylish guest room fit out and decoration are starters. All of these factors rated on the basis of being a 4 star hotel make the Palazzo Zichy stand out from the pack.

From the street, you wouldn’t even notice that there is a hotel there. From the staff, I understand that the hotel was the former residence of some Hungarian nobility and the historical architecture has been tastefully blended with many harmonious sleek modern touches. The hotel is conveniently located relatively close to many of the main city attractions. Taxis are relatively inexpensive but walking around in the streets to soak in the experience and culture of a city filled with the ‘old Europe’ charm is also a treat.

Judith at the reception was all smiles, helpful, calm even in the typical stressful check out period and an absolute pleasure to deal with. The guest relations team were also extremely helpful when responding to my questions and requests before arriving at the hotel. The room was comfortable, well laid out and elegantly decorated with many fine touches. The free in room safe is always appreciated and complimentary wi-fi makes life easier.

Guests that we bumped into in the lift and in the breakfast room were as mixed as I have come across for such a smallish ‘boutique’ hotel – business people, families, seniors, motor cycle enthusiasts with corresponding leather attire, young couples … and all speaking languages from each continent on earth created a truly cosmopolitan atmosphere.

The breakfast itself as part of the accommodation package that I had was also excellent. Great fresh bakery products, very decent coffee from the high-end serve yourself Jura Swiss coffee machines, fresh squeeze yourself juices and the typical warm offerings of eggs, bacon etc. all well presented.

Although this was my first trip to Budapest and only as a short weekend tourist, I can honestly say that I look forward to having the opportunity to go back there again someday and to explore it at a more leisurely pace. What is sure though, is the decision on which hotel I will stay at.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo