“great service” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 340 Hotels in Budapest
San Francisco, California
“great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

Beautiful hotel, well-renovated. Great service -- we didn't have many requests, but they met all of them cheerfully and promptly, and really tried to make sure we enjoyed our visit to Budapest. They'll lend you umbrellas when the weather's lousy, and they left a short apologetic note for the inconvenience when we asked them to replace a burnt-out light bulb, which they did almost immediately despite the fact we said we'd be out all evening.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (656)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kosice, Slovakia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay in this hotel. Our reminiscences exceeded our expectation. We were very pleased by extremely lovely and helpful stuff, perfect service, wonderful interior. The exeptional service made my stay memorable and special. I hope to come again very soon.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

We stayed here for a long weekend.

We got a very good deal on a room but unfortunately after the first night we asked if we could move.

Although our room was lovely and comfortable it was baking hot (we think it must have been above a kitchen or some kind of boiler). We told the staff and they were very apologetic but could do nothing about the heating (as they were in Winter mode for the entire hotel) and recommended we open a window. This would have been fine however we were on the ground floor and facing onto a road - which although not busy - did mean that there were loud cars and motorbikes speeding past - and the smell of fumes.

The next morning we asked to be moved and they were unbelievably efficient and we were given an upgrade - and boy what an upgrade. Our 2nd and 3rd nights were spent in incredible luxury - the biggest bed I have ever seen and a spa bath. They did not have to treat us so well but the fact that they could and that they did is testament to how lovely this hotel and its staff are.

The breakfasts (and the setting - with the courtyard rising above you) was very good and sets one up for a good day of city exploring.

Even though the first room was frankly not fit for purpose everything after this completely made up for it.

If you do stay here just make sure you are not on the ground floor - or if you are then get a room facing into the courtyard - not out onto the road.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MRB1982
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

Just a week back from our trip to Budapest. We stayed at the hotel zichy. The first thing to comment on is the friendliness of the staff who were utterly professional also. The room was spotless with beautiful decor. The buffet breakfast was nice with plenty of choice. The gym was basic but perfect for 1 or 2 people. I would strongly recommend staying here. We had a great time!

• Stayed February 2013
Fife Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

No need to add to recent comments - all good! A good location, very comfortable hotel and excellent staff. A great place to stay in Budapest. The hotel was excellent value for money when we were there and the breakfasts were very good.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Santiago, Chile
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

I was a bit hesitant first, as there are lots of great luxury hotels in Budapest, and I initially wanted to get "pampered". Eventually I chose Zichy, because it promised everything I wanted - at the best price. I made the booking with expedia, and a day later received an email from Judit Rozsa confirming my stay, and not only that, she also confirmed they had noticed my "additional request" in my booking and they would do their best to provide me with a room on a higher floor overlooking the square. This was the first time a hotel contacted me first (and so quickly) to confirm my reservation; usually I have to chase the hotels to make sure everything is OK. But Judit was great and offered her assistance for any "pre-travel" service, which I accepted requiring information about transportation from the airport.
We toom the minibus shuttle service (HUF 8300 return trip for 2), and as soon as we got to the hotel we realized our stay was going to be perfect.
The lobby is amazing, the girls at the front desk pretty and helpful (special thanks for Karolina and Zsofia, who helped us with restaurant and massage bookings, as well as directions and tips for the city), the room and bathroom was all te we could ask for (and as promised, on the 5th floor overlooking the square).
Breakfast was incredible and we had trouble moving after getting stuffed there every morning!
The lounge with free drinks and food until 5pm is amazing as well, I am actually writing this review there as we wait for our shuttle back tonthe airport. Great touch!
All in all, I must recommend this hotel, which actually made me stop free riding on tripadvisor for more than 5 years and write my first review.
If you are planning a visit to Budapest (now one of my favorite cities in Europe, better than Prague an others like it!), save your hesitations and book this hotel safely: you will not regret it!!!

2 Thank Pedro L
New Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

I love this hotel. I have stayed here several times over the last year anywhere from overnight to over two weeks. I could afford to stay at more expensive properties like the Four Seasons, Kempinski, or the Boscolo but I continue to stay here because of the quality of the staff and the value for money the hotel represents.

The more I travel, the more I understand that luxury has very little to do with imposing marble columns in the lobby or rows of chauffeur-driven Mercedes lining up outside the entrance (if you want those things, this probably isn't the hotel for you). Instead, I define luxury by the service I receive. Budapest is not always the easiest city to navigate: the language is difficult, parts of the City are still developing, and some people like dishonest taxicabs will still try and cheat foreign tourists. Yet, every time I stay here I am assured things will run smoothly and be done properly. Taxis, transfers, and activities organized by the hotel have always been on-time and professional. Once, I asked the hotel to arrange a driver for me. After calling around the hotel quoted me a price but then before i could say anything the nice lady behind the reception desk said, "Those prices seem too high, let me see if I can call and get you a better deal". This was the first time in years of travel in 3, 4, and 5 star hotels that someone had shown that sort of respect for my money and time. On another occasion, after a long day of work, I had become frustrated at not being able to find some important information. When the reception staff greeted me I expressed my frustration, they offered to leave a note for the night clerk to try to look something up for me. I declined. Despite this, upon returning from dinner, I found several pages of printed information waiting for me. That's service!

Rooms here are simple, yet tasteful with a grey and brown color scheme with wood floors and functional modular furniture. The internet connection has always been solid although sometimes lags when streaming large video files. The hotel restaurant only serves breakfast. If you want lunch or dinner you will have to order from one of the hotel's partners and have food delivered, which can be charged to your room bill. Breakfast is plentiful with fresh-basked croissants, eggs, cold cuts, fresh fruit, and smoked salmon on weekdays. The fitness room is small but adequate. I have not tried the spa. They often unlimited complimentary coffee, tea, and mineral water until 17:00 when a full cash bar service is offered.

During off-season I am often able to book a standard room (inc. tax) for less than 70 Euros and even during very busy times often less than 100 Euros, obviously prices will vary.

Palazzo Zichy is a very well run hotel with exceptional service. Despite this, I like to think of it more as a private club where guests will find good value and service. If this sort of intimate, guest-focused atmosphere is for you then I am sure you will like this hotel. If your tastes are more geared towards large-scale opulence then it is perhaps best to look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Not all standard rooms are the same size. Rooms ending in "15" are slightly larger and off...