“Solid property in great Budapest neighborhood. Thanks HCG!”

Hotel Castle Garden
Ranked #43 of 333 Hotels in Budapest
Budapest, Hungary
“Solid property in great Budapest neighborhood. Thanks HCG!”
Reviewed October 22, 2011

My parents (not the most technical astute) stayed in room 307 for 9 nights in October 2011 on my recommendation. This will be there review in my words. I have lived in Budapest for many years and the Hotel CG caught my eye as it was being built in my neighborhood just outside of the Castle District wall. They liked everything about the hotel, and want to stay here again when in town next. I spent time in their room, ate in the restaurant, spoke with the staff, etc. - and was pleased as well. As usual, The Good, The OK, and The Bad.

The Good
- The property. The hotel was more of a boutique size that delivered a bit of personal service.
- The room. The corner room was on the side away from the castle with a nice-sized balcony. The room was decent size (not huge), with a comfortable queen bed, good closet and shelf space, a refrigerator, tea making supplies, small desk, etc. Everything my parents needed including a comfortable arm chair and lamp where my Mother could read each night.
- The balcony. Why they did not use it a ton (it was a bit cool) they enjoyed the opportunity for fresh air and the 3-sides (no roof) made it private which they liked.
- Bathroom. Quite large for the room size. Bath/shower combo, heated towel rack, clean. Well done.
- The neighborhood. Literally a 2 minute walk to be inside the castle district, and there are multiple solid restaurants within a 10 minute walk, including a major mall (Mammut). A couple of days they took the tram or metro from Moskva ter and were there within a <10 minute walk. They enjoyed quiet walks in the castle most nights, which was one of the primary reasons I had them stay there. They continue to talk about the views, quiet streets, etc. (and they have visited Budapest many times).
- The restaurant. I ate breakfast a couple of mornings and liked the selection of cereals, eggs, warm meat, cold meats, yogurt, fruits, bread, etc. A bit of everything that will satisfy most tastes. One afternoon, we needed a snack and sat in the restaurant and had some bableves (bean soup). As a local, I know my bean soup - and their offering was solid and a good value. The service was also nice.
- The Manager Tamas. He sent a personal response to my initial room request and ensured my parents were delighted with their stay. I saw Tamas working in the hotel (even cleaning the coffee machine) most times I was in the hotel. His personal attention to the property is definitely paying off.

The OK
- I had to pull something out of my parents, as they really enjoyed the property. The only item they mentioned was the cleaning cart was out in front of the stairs on most days. It did not bother them or block their way, but they thought it might be better if it was stored when not in use.

The Ugly
- Nothing. And nothing close.

They want to come back here, because the property was quiet, the bed was comfortable and the service was pleasant. I want to thank Tamas for helping me arrange their stay and taking interest in their stay. Thank you.

There is a reason this property receives good reviews. Hopefully, I've helped give some insights as to why. Enjoy Budapest!

Jeremy

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
GezaF, Manager at Hotel Castle Garden, responded to this review, October 25, 2011
Dear Jeremy F!

First of all, thank you very much for taking your time to write your review to share your experience with the travel community.
I am really appreciated and glad to read that we could provide a service to your parents, which give them positive experience and making them returning in the future.
Also, let me thank you for your clear and detailed description about our hotel- about the rooms and restaurant helping other readers, as well.
Personally I would like to thank you for your kind words too, I’m really glad that I could add some personal contribution to your hotel experience.
We do hope, we will welcome you and your parents back to our hotel soon!

Tamás Lenky

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Hinckley, England
Reviewed October 22, 2011

We had 5 day break and found the hotel to be the perfect location. You could walk round the corner to the Castle District in Buda or catch the regular number 16 bus (stops within 200 yards) to visit Pest or get to the very good Metro system.

We had a double room on the top floor which gave good views. Rooms were smallish but with quality fittings. Housekeeping was a little slapdash, but the bathroom was very clean upon arrival.

Hotel staff were very friendly. We had a medical problem which involved a short stay in hospital and the front desk staff were extremely helpful. The restaurant next door served good food off a slightly limited menu (with a 15% discount for hotel residents)

On the subject of restaurants avoid the nearby Kiraly restaurant - expensive and unsavoury money grubbing from all concerned.

Room Tip: top floor room facing Pest gives a good view
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
GezaF, Receptionist at Hotel Castle Garden, responded to this review, October 25, 2011
Dear arnoldo33,

Foremost, I would like to thank you to post your review about our hotel sharing your impressions with the travel community. I am delighted to read that staff provided helpful services assisting you when it was needed. I hope you are already in a good conditions without any complication.

I also would like to thank you write your room tip and useful information about our local area, which can provide guidelines to other visitors in the future.

We hope you had a great time in Budapest and we can welcome you back soon!

Alresford
Reviewed October 14, 2011

Brilliant service at hotel. Reception very friendly with helpful staff booking up spa and opera for us.
My daughter and I loved the position of hotel it was near to metro and tram with safe walk home. Close to castle museums and restaurants.

Clean room. Basic but substantial breakfast.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Dear Whitewedge!

Thank you for your kind words about our hotel! I hope you really enjoyed the spa and the opera (both was one of the best choices you could do in Budapest) and we could assist to manage your tickets. We are at your service next time, as well!

We welcome you and your family back and for booking feel free to contact us anytime!

Margate
Reviewed October 7, 2011

Our friends booked this hotel for us and we were not disappointed. The rooms were a reasonable size and very clean. The bathroom was just as good with a small array of toiletries provided. The breakfast was pleasant although it did not vary from day to day. The staff were helpful and polite.

Room Tip: Twin rooms are all on the ground floor so unless you desperately need a twin room, opt for a double...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank lindafire
GezaF, Reception at Hotel Castle Garden, responded to this review, October 25, 2011
Dear Margaret!

Let me thank you for your review on the trip advisor’s website emphasizing the value of the hotel and our helpful staff.
I also thank you for your description about rooms and breakfast, which others will find useful.

I hope that we can greeting you with your friends again soon!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed October 3, 2011

The room was small but comfortable, location fabulous, and service good. Breakfast was OK except the coffee was the most awful we'd ever tasted, it had a distinct aftertaste, something was wrong, and it was wrong for 4 days! We had dinner in the restaurant one evening and they completely forgot about us for over an hour. When we asked them where our food was they rushed and got it out, but it tasted warmed up and probably had been sitting in the kitchen for a while. Not really pleasant. Otherwise the hotel is nice, and perfectly situated for visiting Buda. In the heatwave we had it was cool and comfortable.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Georga!

Thank you for your review regarding your staying at our hotel in August. I would like to thank you to share your experience with the restaurant, which we find also very useful and learned from it. We do hope despite of this fact, you did really enjoy your staying with us and we can welcome you back next year!

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 3, 2011

Hotel Castle Garden is situated in a quiet road just outside the historic centre in the Buda area of the city. The staff are very pleasant and helpful, both in the reception area and restaurant. Lovely breakfast and pleasant rooms. Excellent cleanliness and overall we were very happy with our stay here. Thank you!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Francesca040!

Thank you very much for taking your time to share your opinion with us, I am pleased to read that our staff made great job and you also did like our breakfast selection.

If you visit Budapest again, we are looking forward to welcoming you again!

Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2011

The hotel is in a great 'site seeing' location just outside of the castle walls. The hotel is good value for money and the staff are very friendly and helpful. I would recommend it to family/friends and if I am in Budapest again I will be staying there.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank paul j
Dear Paul j!

Let me thank you for your positive review about our hotel overall and recommendations!

We do hope you will visit us again in the near future!