“Recommende” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Regnum Residence

Hotel Regnum Residence
Ranked #68 of 342 Hotels in Budapest

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

My wife and I had five nights in this outstanding hotel. It was perfect for us: a quiet hotel in a quiet area (I've never slept so well in a hotel before!), with a lovely and big room, free wifi, free bottles of water in the fridge each morning, and a substantial and tasty breakfast, all included. All of the hotel staff spoke excellent English and were unfailingly friendly and helpful. The air-conditioning worked really well, which you will need in the summer. The hotel is close enough to walk to the tourist part of the city, but only five minutes from a tram and the underground if that's what you prefer. I just wish all hotels were this good.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank 1971ka
New Haven, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

I often stay in Budapest. Several of my normal hotels were full so I spent a week at this property. I didn't know much about the hotel so before I booked I actually arrived and asked to see a room. A very friendly and energetic young lady quickly grabbed some keys and showed me various types of rooms ranging from the most basic to suites. I have to say she was so enthusiastic about the property that I was actually won over by her sales pitch and booked the room for the next few days. I believe her name was Elena.

The hotel is located on the Buda side set back about 4 blocks from the Danube, across the street from the Canadian Embassy and flanked by middle to upper-middle class apartment blocks. The few blocks immediately around the hotel are quite nice with tree-lined streets with good lighting and security because of the Embassy. However, start walking towards the Danube and you will find abandoned storefronts and some areas that I would not be thrilled to travel in late at night.

I stayed in a Jr. Suite with a balcony which was certainly large, clean, with excellent light. These rooms are an excellent blank canvas but that's where my love affair with the rooms ended. First, the walls are painted a shade of extreme dark grey, with dark carpets, linens, etc., which means they can become dreary at night and actually makes the space seem smaller than it is. My room contained three full wardrobes and two full dressers, which was far more than I would have needed for a month, much less a week. The end result was that rooms felt cramped even though they were theoretically some of the most spacious in Budapest. I could only move the desk chair about a foot otherwise it would hit the coffee table which I moved to sit flush against the couch in order to have the most space to work at the desk. The sleeper sofa was enormously uncomfortable to sit on, the bed badly sagged when I lay down so I resorted to sleeping in the arm chair in the living room. I looked through the promotional materials, which said I should contact reception for a selection of pillows. When I asked the very nice lady at reception she had no idea what I was talking about.

The air conditioning in the rooms was weak so it had to be kept on the coldest setting constantly in order to cool the room. The internet signal was inconsistent and at peak times lagged.

The bar area was often left unattended and I had to go in search of the bartender if I wanted a drink.

Even though the hotel is smoke free they allow smoking on the balconies so my room would often stink of tobacco smoke.

The breakfast was poor. The selection and taste of the food was below average when compared to similarly priced hotels. What few hot dishes were offered were frequently picked over. Staff often allowed cold cuts, fruit juice, and pastries to run out. I often just grabbed a croissant and a bottle of mineral water and contented myself that this was the best available. The Palazzo Zichy and Artotel often far superior breakfasts for a similar price.

The one consistent bright spot was the staff who handled requests quickly and professionally. The motion sensing lights on the 5th floor were not working so I was stumbling trying to find my room in the dark. I reported this to the front desk and it was fixed within a day. Elena, Kitty, and Andras were friendly, helpful, and arranged numerous hotel services like taxi transfers, restaurants, etc. quickly, professionally, and enthusiastically. If it wasn't for Elena's excellent sales pitch I might not have booked at all and if not for their efforts I would have had a far worse stay.

The Regnum has a lot of potential in a quiet area of Buda but it has a ways to go to fulfill that promise.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

My friends and I went to Budapest for a city break. The reception staff were very helpful even before we arrived to Budapest. They arranged a driver to pick us up from the airport, change the room reservation (as per our request) and the recommendations they gave us were very good as well. All staff were very polite. Rooms are spacious and clean. The hotel is located on a quiet street, perfect for a good night sleep, and yet very close to attractions.

Just 2 blocks away from the river, short walk to Chain Bridge, amazing views of the Parliament, etc.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Koush_Ann
Bedford, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

Unbelievably nice and modern hotel not far from the Margit bridge. Spacious room, comfortable beds, nice bathtub, free wifi, and fantastic hot breakfast included in the rate. Hotel has a bar and garden where you can enjoy snacks and drinks. Friendly staff speaks English.

Very safe neighborhood - don't end your stay without a trip to the Kiraly Furdo bath (http://www.kiralyfurdo.hu/) just a from the hotel toward the river. Also stop by the leafy beer garden right next door for a cold Hungarian craft beer. If you'rre into public transportation, hotel is a quick ride north on the #86 bus from the Batthyny Ter M2 metro stop.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Don J
Kamp-Lintfort
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

spending a long Weekend in Budapest we could enjoy the Regnum Hotel facilities to our best satisfaction.
Clean and quiet rooms and beds with excellent sleeping qualities had been made available to us.
Friendly and helpful Hotel staff made the stay a pleasure

Room Tip: All rooms can be selected as the Hotel is located in a quiet area.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

I spent 5 nights at Regnum Residence recently and it was excellent fitting my needs very well. The rooms were clean, spacious, and nicely-appointed with a balcony overlooking a quiet street. The staff was extremely friendly and spoke excellent English. The internet registration process was smooth and again, there was the advantage of very fluent personal attention. One couldn't ask for a better and more copious breakfast which was nicely laid out with attention to refilling and renewing settings. I especialy liked being able to walk just a short distance to the Danube and to other parts of the neighborhood that had several grades of restaurant and plenty of small shops nearby. There are baths next door too if that is of interest. This Buda side of the Danube has the advantage of seeing life in Budapest without too much intrusion of the tourist scene yet close enough via public transportation to get that too.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo