“Waste of time and money”
Review of Firkasz

Firkasz
Ranked #307 of 3,204 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: Hungarian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The name means scribbler in English; referring to journalists. Internationally known artists and writers preferred haunt one, this cozy Hungarian restaurant, where other celebrities are reversed. Every night the famous bar pianist Otto Okros provides the pleasant music for dinner.
Leysin, Switzerland
“Waste of time and money”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I went there with my siblings to have a relaxed lunch. We ordered our dishes but we didn't even get certain courses such as the starters; we didn't even mention it to the waiter cause he seemed like he is living on another planet. After 40 minutes we got our main course where we didn't even get what we ordered exactly. The food was OK. I would like to mention that yes mistakes can happen and it is normal if you have a full house but there were only us (3 people) and another table (2 people). I work in hospitality and I don't think serving 2 tables correctly could cause trouble. At most of the restaurants in Hungary the service charge is 10% in here it is much more... I don't recommend this place to anyone.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank Fruity1125

• Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Farnham, United Kingdom
“Authentic and Charming”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I entered this restaurant having just been pick pocketed on a tram which meant I was rather distracted and still attempting to report the theft to the local police. The owner of the restaurant made various telephone calls for me and I was given considerable advice by locals sitting at the bar - you may be able to imagine their responses.

The food is creative, generous of portion, accommodating to especial requests, well served and the wines first rate. The pianist invited requests although his British repertoire was limited to WW1 songs - but all with great enthusiasm.

A long convivial atmosphere - quite made me forget the robbery.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Culverhouse
Bedford, United Kingdom
“A Scam”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

On the hotel recommendation. All was well until the arrival of the bill, which as it was hand written, set my alarm bells ringing - these days all are printed out. On checking we had been charged for an additional glass of red wine (we had ordered 3 glasses of white) plus 3 times the price of the white wine (I had been careful to point to the wine price on the menu) - an extra £9 on a £30 bill. The staff did not seem very apologetic over a deliberate effort to rip off foreign tourists.

• Visited August 2013
“Great food, great atmosphere”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We went for dinner to this restaurant the first night we were in Budapest last year. It's a small place, with an intimate atmosphere, and a guy playing piano in the corner. The guy who ran the place was really friendly and helpful, and spoke English with us. I had the most fantastic dish while I was there, with a sort of warm, soft, spicy cheese and bread, and I've been trying to find out what kind of cheese it was ever since. The food was delicious, I'd definitely recommend it. It's perhaps a little bit pricier than a lot of the places in Budapest, but we found Budapest to be particularly cheap by European standards, and it's certainly not expensive compared to most European cities.

• Visited September 2012
Dorset, England
“Excellent food and service, nice atmosphere”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Yes, this is a touristy place. But the service and the welcome were genuine. Food was excellent, a good variety, if fairly expensive.
The place feels good, with the newspaper as wallpaper; apparently it was a place that journalists used to frequent.

• Visited June 2013