Gerloczy Rooms de Lux
  • Breakfast included
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
All reviewsattic roomfree mini barthe cafe downstairscharming hotelsmall hotelhigh ceilingssmall squarethe ground floorsparkling winefirst flooreach morningjewish quartera wonderful stayperfect locationside streetthe riverwithin easy walking distance
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 15, 2010

We have spend only one night in this hotel (unfortunately), but I am sure that it will be my next choice again if we go to Budapest again. The hotel is located in the new hart of the city, on the Pest side. The receptionist was really kind and helpful, even though we arrived quite late (around 21:30) at the hotel. The hotel is located in a very nice building built in the19th century (I guess) and it has been beautifully renovated maintaining its original character: you feel like in a palace during the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy. We also had breakfast the next morning, which is a little bit tricky: 10 Euro/person consumption is included in the prepaid room rate, and if you eat more, than it will be charged to your CC. BUT: we have ordered a Croissant menu with fresh orange juice, plus extra croissant with jam, plus 2 caffe latte, and we did not reach the limit at all. So this should not scare you, it was a wonderful place for a great price. I truly reccomend it!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 22, 2010

Stayed 5 nights recently and we really enjoyed it. The hotel is well located in a lively area, just a short stroll to the beautiful Danube.
The interior of the place is nothing short of stunning. From the huge spiral staircase to the spacious bedrooms with high ceilings, the hotel has a wonderful fin-de-siecle feel to it. Similar quality accommodation in other European cities would be much dearer.
We ate there on three evenings and the food was good. Friday night they have a fish night and we enjoyed one of the best meals we've tasted anywhere, and at a very reasonable price.
The service and staff are generally very good and professional and the ladies at the desk very friendly and helpful.
If we return to Budapest would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank valleysboy
Reviewed May 10, 2010

With our flights to Europe threatened because of the volcanic ash situation, we almost canceled our trip to Budapest. But it was the kindness and helpfulness from the staff at Hotel Gerloczy that persuaded me NOT to cancel my plans. A finer hotel staff could not be found anywhere at any price.

The hotel is an example of old world European elegance.....in immaculate condition, artfully styled and well-maintained. Located in a very convenient residential neighborhood, it is within easy walking distance of tourist sights and necessities: banks, atm's, grocery store, shopping, cafes, restaurants. Walking to the sights of central Budapest was EASY.

The bedroom area was in excellent condition, stylish and elegant. Beautiful furnishings and fabrics. Even the flooring was impressive.

The attached Cafe Gerloczy was very convenient, a comfortable, attractive place to sit serving delicious food at reasonable prices.

As I said, the wonderful staff deserves high praise.

The price per night is extremely reasonable....a great value.....BUT there are some important compromises that prospective guests might want to consider:

CONS:

There were no drawers in our room. We had to keep our clothes in the suitcases for 3 days. There was a wardrobe closet where we could hang a few things.

There was no mirror in the room. The only mirror was over the bathroom sink, hung very high on the wall so that a person at my height (5'4") could see only from the neck up. (Sometimes that's a good idea.)

The bathroom had, in my opinion, major deficits. As beautiful as the bedroom area was, the bathroom was in dire need of updating and upgrading. Everything was clean and in good condition. But nothing was convenient or comfortable.

There is no bathroom counter.....only a washstand. There is a tiny glass shelf on the wall under the mirror...but not very practical for use. There was a tiny, low table in the corner for placing some small items. But you had to reach across the toilet to get to it.

There was not even one hook on the wall to hold a piece of clothing or a toiletries bag. Without any counter space in the bathroom, it would have been very helpful to just hang a toiletries bag on the wall. But even this was impossible.

There was no shower curtain and just a very low rim around the base of the shower so that showering created a veritable lake in the bathroom.

The biggest problem for ME was the early morning noise caused by cafe staff arranging the cafe furniture outside. Every morning, between 6 AM and 7 AM, 24 tables and 48 chairs are DRAGGED across the concrete patio.....one at a time....to set them up for the days' customers. The sound was like fingernails on a chalkboard. I don't know how the residents of the neighborhood put up with it. (I don't know if this would be a problem if your room faced a different direction.)

Also, I do NOT recommend signing up for the 10 Euro per person breakfast package. There is absolutely no advantage for the guest to do this, other than to have the charge conveniently billed to the room.

We never ate 10 Euros worth of breakfast. But you don't get any refund. And if you eat more than the 10 Euros, you pay the difference anyway. So there is no advantage to arranging this in advance, in my opinion. And as we walked around the city, we noticed lots of nice cafes where we would have liked to try breakfast, but we had already arranged this with the hotel.

Lastly, a word about the Cafe Gerloczy: the hotel information booklet in the room INVITES guests to charge meals at the cafe. "Just show your room card." I double-checked this with the hotel receptionist when we first arrived, starving for lunch and without any Hungarian money. She reassured me that this was absolutely fine.

Our waiter at the cafe.....a short man with dark hair and thin, black-rimmed glasses.... started out very politely, with good English. When we asked for the bill we told him we wanted to charge it to the room and showed our room card. That's when things got VERY UGLY. He became the rudest, nastiest waiter I have ever encountered anywhere.

He refused to accept anything but CASH. I saw other diners paying with credit cards with no problem. I could only assume this waiter wanted to be assured his tip would be in cash. (360 fts....about $1.80 USD)

He REFUSED to charge it to the room. He REFUSED our credit cards. I tried to tell him I'd bring his tip later in cash. I was willing to say almost anything to calm him down. I told him to put his tip on the room charge or on the credit card charge. Nothing satisfied his angry outburst. The cafe manager was useless. He watched this whole thing and did nothing.

I ran back into the hotel and explained the problem to the hotel receptionist. She immediately jumped to my aid and spoke with the cafe manager. After an animated discussion in Hungarian, we were told by the waiter, without any apology for his temper tantrum, that the bill would be charged to our room. We fled ASAP.

My first instinct was to check-out immediately. But that would have used up our few precious hours in Budapest with making new hotel arrangements. Instead, we wanted to go out and enjoy ourselves....though terribly shaken and upset by this incident.

What a shame that this man feels he can terrorize cafe customers at his whim and that the manager watches and does nothing. They certainly do not fit in with the rest of the staff at Gerloczy.

5  Thank pacosmom
Reviewed May 6, 2010

Beautiful hotel and wonderful restaurant in excellent location. staff will go out of the way for you.

Reviewed May 2, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Gerloczy in April and had a wonderful time. The hotel is in a great location on a quiet street. The only drawback was that there was some remodeling going on in a neighboring building which created a bit of noise every morning. The coffee house restaurant was very nice with a good breakfast. The breakfast allotment of 10 euro was plenty for a good morning meal. The coffee house has a terrific outdoor seating area where we enjoyed crepes filled with cherries and mascarpone cheese and covered with creme anglais one day for lunch -- yum! Walking distance to all the major sights, restaurants and shopping Big rooms with enormous bathrooms. A terrific place for a romantic vacation.

1  Thank v3rmont3r