Gerloczy Rooms de Lux
$402
$202
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
All reviewsattic roomfree mini barthe cafe downstairscharming hotelsmall hotelhigh ceilingssmall squarethe ground floorsparkling winefirst flooreach morningjewish quartera wonderful stayperfect locationside streetthe riverwithin easy walking distance
Reviewed November 15, 2013

lovely looking rooms ..but looks are not everything. No decent mirror,no coffee facilities,no room service,no desk to work at.no service full stop in the hotel. Food in the restaurant fantastic and on the whole good service. I stayed there as a dental tourist and after my treatment was very swollen and did not want to go for breakfast in the restaurant,all i aked for was for coffe to brought up to my room only to be told that there was no room service!! for a hotel of this calibre that is un acceptable. As a lone traveller I felt comfortable but I travel a lot and I do wonder about the rave reviews to me this is a an average hotel service wise but an above average hotel in looks and food. Nest time in Budapest I. would rather book appartment.
I booked this on the rave reviews it has recieved on trip advisor but am wondering what sort of hotels other guests have stayed in before!!
Saying all that there was nothing bad about the hotel I just felt that it was mediocre other than its stunning looks and a lovely restaurant.
Oh yes the bed was very uncomfortable and at last i can have a good nights sleep at home

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank 666vixen
Reviewed November 13, 2013

When you first enter the Gerloczy Rooms de Lux hotel and are welcomed by the winding staircase with the beautiful stained glass ceiling, you just know you are going to enjoy your visit to Budapest.
We spent 4 nights in an Attic Room on the fourth floor. The room was a comfortable size and featured a skylight. The bathroom was always clean, had an interesting large round copper sink and a shower with an etched glass door. As a bonus, the mini bar was free and was replenished daily. The only thing missing was some dresser drawers to store your clothes.
The price per night was very reasonable at €104 including a €12 credit per person for breakfast in the cafe. The breakfast menu featured some eggs dishes and quite a good selection of fresh baked breads. The cafe is also a popular place for dinner with locals as well as travellers. We enjoyed a delicious dinner one night. It seemed like a busy place so I'd suggest making a reservation just in case.
The hotel is situated in an ideal location. The Danube River, Vorosmarty Square and Vaci Street shopping are all a 5-10 minute walk away. Also 5 minutes away is Deak Ferenc Metro station, where all 3 metro lines stop. St.Stephen's Basilica is 10 minutes away and The Great Market and Parliament can be reached in about 15-20 minutes. And just outside the hotel is a terrific corner store, that we found to not only be good for snacks and small lunches, but it also had the best price we could find for Unicom.
All the staff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful. The reception staff were always available to help with advice, order us a taxi or book us tickets to the Szechenyi Baths. The cafe staff also provided prompt service and great wine recommendations.
The Gerloczy Rooms de Lux is a special boutique hotel with everything you need for an enjoyable stay. I would recommend it to anyone and it would be my first choice the next time I visit Budapest.

3  Thank MarkStef
Reviewed November 8, 2013

We stayed in one of the attic rooms - it was an excellent value for such a central location. Our room had two built in twin beds, perpendicular to each other in a corner of the room. One bed was elevated, with a couple of built in steps. At first I worried I would hit my head on the ceiling if I sat up in bed, or have difficulty getting in and out of bed in the middle of the night. But I worried for nothing - I did not hit my head, and I didn't have any problems getting in and out. The toilet was in one room, the shower/sink in another and neither were large, but they served their purpose. Definitely not your standard hotel room, but that's part of why we enjoyed it so much. It had personality and was clean, comfortable, cozy.

We very much appreciated the free mini bar. So nice not to have to run out to get a drink, or worry about exorbitant charges for a bottle of water. The mini bar was restocked each day with one bottle each of orange juice, beer, diet coke, coke, still water, sparkling water, sparkling wine, two jars of what I think was a bread stick like snack (I think these were supposed to be crunchy, but they were soggy) and one valrhona chocolate bar (yum!).

Breakfast options at the restaurant were not typical of other places we have stayed in Europe, but everything was very good, and we never went over the allotted amount. We really enjoyed the tea selection - all served loose in an infuser, no bags. We had a different one each day. It would be simpler if the breakfast allotment wasn't quoted in Euros, while the prices on the menu are in Forint, but it didn't bother us.

We ate dinner in the restaurant twice. Both meals were delicious. The first night was on our 20th Anniversary, and the harpist started playing as soon as we were seated. We enjoyed a long, leisurely dinner with dessert, and the harpist was still playing when we left. He never took a break. It was the perfect touch to a romantic evening.

The central staircase is beautiful, and yes, we walked all the way up it!

Next time we are in Budapest, we will stay here again.

5  Thank MoJoWanders
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We recently spent 3 nights at Gerloczy and we loved it. We were on our honeymoon and came to Budapest from Vienna and before that Prague.

The hotel is a lovely place. Our room was just the right size and comfortable and pleasant. Everyone on staff at the hotel and the cafe downstairs were so welcoming and nice. I've read other reviews that complained about the mandatory breakfast scheme at the cafe, but we loved it. We also had dinner there on our last night and it was great!

The neighborhood of the hotel is extremely convenient. We walked everywhere and we found it to be quiet at night and safe too.

I would recommend this hotel very much for couples or adults with an appreciation for European style.

It's also a wonderful value. Free mini-bar and snacks filled every day, so nice to have OJ in the morning and still and sparkling water...plus lovely sparkling wine...and snacks...a nice extra touch.

Istvan was extremely helpful before our arrival to help us get from train station in Budapest and to advise us on proper taxis etc and we really appreciated it. They also arranged at 4:30 am taxi on our day of departure and called us to be sure we woke up on time for our early flight that day.

1  Thank Andrea E
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We loved our 4-night stay at the Gerloczy, a small, European-style hotel with charming atmosphere. The complementary mini bar was most welcome at the end of a long day. The bed was very comfy. The bathroom was large with a deep claw-foot tub. The only problem was minor: the room's only mirror was a small 8 or 9-inch diameter mirror in the bathroom. The cost included a fabulous breakfast, ordered from the menu, and served in the lovely Parisian style restaurant.

The staff at the front desk was most helpful in dealing with British Airways to try to locate my lost luggage and get it delivered. Tip: lipstick works well for blush.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple