“Perfect location, charming small hotel, great value for the price”

Gerloczy Rooms de Lux
Ranked #39 of 336 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

We walked to the hotel from the hydrofoil dock - not far but a bit hard to find...however definitely worth it. This is a charming small hotel with lots of character which adds to the appeal of being in Budapest. Friendly staff at reception and in the cafe - good breakfast and dinner, and free minibar is a nice touch. Attic room was very nice although if you like to look out the window choose a different room! Bed was very hard otherwise no complaints - would stay again it was a perfect choice for exploring the city

• Stayed: July 2013

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We spend one night at Gerlóczy in July, and I totally recommend this great place to everyone who is looking for a trip to Budapest!
The stuff is extremely friendly, and helpful, and the location is just simply great! It's in the center of Budapest, You can easily access Danube - where You can take a romantic walk for example, or go along Váci street, Vörösmarty and Deák places are near too. You can easily catch Public transports for the main sights as well.
Beside of this, it is very quite so You can rest calmly.
The rooms are big and totally clean, the minibar is refilled daily, and it's included to the room price. At the evenings there is live music at the bar, and the little place in front of the building has a very good atmosphere too.
So if You plan a trip to Budapest, don't hesitate to contact Gerlóczy and book a room, and all You have to do is feel enjoy Your trip at Budapest!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ondrisko
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

My mother and I stayed here for three nights and fell in love with the hotel and staff. The hotel room on the 2nd floor ( blue floor) was charming with big double windows that let in a lot of natural light and was very clean. The free mini bar was a convenient plus for an afternoon pick me up...

But the heart of the hotel is the staff. :) The staff at Gerloczy was friendly, helpful and happy. Tamas at the front desk was especially attentive and helpful with providing restaurant and other recommendations for our stay in Budapest. The general manager was also very personable and always available.

The cafe attached to he hotel was alive with people enjoying each others company and great food through out the day. I would recommend this special boutique hotel to any of my friends and family and hope to visit this gem in Budapest soon again.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Carrieaemm
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Stayed in Gerloczy Dec 2012 for a few nights. I have to say we didn't get what all the fuss on this forum was about. I think the problem could be that for Pest it's quite a good Hotel. But I imagine that's because the bar is quite low. The Hotel is centred around the restaurant. Which is quite charming and is sort of French inspired, with waiters in waistcoats and the banquette style seating. The Hotel part is above the restaurant and you enter around the side of the building. I have to say we were greeted by the receptionist, who was over effusive but was helpful enough. The interior of the building is quite nice, its kind of turn of the century inspired/art decco. I suspect it had a lot more original features before the communist times. It has been quite well restored however. There is a nice spiral staircase up from the reception to the rooms. Or They have a newly installed lift that certainly makes getting your bags up to the rooms easier. Our room was at the from overlooking the square, just above the outside terrace.
It was quite nicely appointed if a little sparse in it's décor. The bed seemed oddly low, like there should have been an extra base section to elevate it a bit. The bathroom was 'charming' with it's old style basin and toilet. The shower was ok, but there were mere millimetres between freezing cold and scorching hot. If you managed to get the sweet spot it was fine.
We had Lunch in the restaurant on our day of arrival. My wife had fish and potatoes and I opted for the green risotto. My wife had the raw end of that deal, the potatoes were cold and I think had been sitting in oil for the afternoon and were fairly raw, the fish was also cold. I had the green risotto which was indeed green, and risotto like , it didn't task of much and had more the consistency of wallpaper. It was possibly at this point we started to concern ourselves as we realised we had purchased the breakfast option in the restaurant. ( You get an amount of credit when you purchase your room rate with which to purchase breakfast, it does require some mental agility as you get the credit in euro and you need to convert for florins to work out how much your breakfast can be). Anyway breakfast was a voyage of discovery every morning.
I tended to stick with the baked items, croissant's etc. And my wife tended to try the cooked option. There were a couple of interesting things on the menu. They had a juice of the day and a smoothie of the day. Although we did ask one morning what the juice of the day was, and after some conferring with colleagues we were told it was orange juice. My wife tried a couple of egg based dishes, I think one was an omelette which had been liberally cooked in oil another was poached egg and home made baked beans. Unfortunately we weren't entirely sure if they had used the traditional haricot bean , they looked rather larger, and they certainly hadn't been baked as they were hard and sitting in a tomato purée that didn't task of much.
We were rather afraid that the chef that we had heard about had perhaps left or gone on vacation for Christmas but the food was a disappointment. The serving staff were however lovely, very patient, very helpful. Overall it's quite nice hotel. Certainly for the price it's ok. I think they perhaps address the standard of the food. The Hotel is about 5-10 mins walk from the main shopping area and the central market area where the Christmas markets were on. So it is quite well positioned.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank rion
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Excellent hotel for a short stay in Budapest.

My girlfriend and I spent two nights here and found all the facilities and location to be excellent. The staff were polite and helpful while the restaurant was of a very high standard all topped off with a quirky renaissance Parisian feel to the decor.

The management have clearly got a great eye for detail as everything from the decor to the free mini bar and superb menu in the restaurant have small touches that make the hotel feel special. This is clearly recognised as the place was busy with tourists, business people and regulars the entire time we were there.

All major attractions are within walking distance but the immediate surroundings are nice and quiet so you are sure of a good nights sleep. I would recommend this hotel to any individuals or couples visiting the city but probably not for families or large groups.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed at the Gerloczy rooms for 4 nights in May 2013. Everything about it had an old-world charm that made our stay in Budapest very memorable.The building is positioned overlooking a square which makes it look like a little corner in Paris. Our room was well-appointed and the free mini-bar was a welcome delight after a day discovering Budapest which we did mostly through walking. The breakfasts were great and staff were friendly but also very professional. Gerloczy Rooms de Lux is a perfect boutique hotel in a beautiful and charming city.

Room Tip: We had a room which had a captivating view overlooking the front square.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We were guests of the Gerloczy Hotel for a few nights post river boat cruise. It was charming and exactly what I had hoped for when I booked the room one year ago. The reception desk person, Thomas, was very friendly, helpful and informative. The café served very delicious food and it was all presented in a beautiful way. The wait staff was so welcoming. The Gerloczy is close to the main shopping area yet secluded on a side street. We welcomed the quiet after having had two weeks of busy sight seeing. I loved Budapest and if we return, we will most definitely choose the Gerloczy. It is an old building that has been renovated in to a very charming, intimate small hotel. The staircase is unique in design and something to see. The value for the money was great. It is truly a gem to be found in Budapest. The included breakfast for 12 Euros is well worth it. We ate more than we expected and still had some euros left over.
This little hotel of 19 rooms is within walking distance of all the sights and very close to the river, as well. We loved it! The few nights spent at the Gerloczy was a highlight of our trip.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the second floor, room #3. Balcony was lovely, overlooking the outdoor café.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple