A wonderful place to stay
First, the hotel is small, 19 rooms, and the staff and owner made us feel right at home, like we were old friends. They were helpful as well they got us vouchers to the baths for no extra charge, by doing that you cut the lines when you arrive (special entrance desk) they give you the ins & outs of the procedure ahead of time ( but by the second bath it was easy to figure out) and you just pay one bill at the end. Easy.
The location was fantastic: we arrived via train, but no matter how you arrive the metro system is easy to use, and the hotel is fine minutes walk from the main metro station. It is. Easy to get anywhere. You are also right on the edge of the famous sights, so you can walk to see most things and to at least two nice baths. The hotel itself sits in a quiet little triangle, very peaceful, there is a grocery store just right there.
We ended up in two rooms: for the last three nights we had a room right above the cafe with a balcony. What a nice room. Very roomy, nice shower, great view and the balcony of course. We spent a lot of time out there drinking wine. The first night, (due to a train screwup we ended up coming in a day early, but they had a room for us) we had a regular room and it too was beautiful, huge windows, giant bath with claw foot tub. So we loved the balcony room, but the regular room was great as well There is great WiFi throughout, even the restaurant.
The food in the restaurant is very good (ate there one night). With the room you also pay €12 per person breakfast, that is given you like an allowance. The prices are good in the restaurant, so the two of us would have cappuchinos, two filled rolls, I would gave a second capp or espresso while she had a fruit smoothie AND we got a good bottle of wine to drink that evening in the room (all for our €24 allowance). Or, you could just eat a huge breakfast, anything off the menu.
So we were four nights here, we loved Budapest, found it sort of similar to Paris, and this hotel really helped set the mood. We will return one day and I will not even bother to look for a different place to stay.
So now I will list all the things we did not like about Gerloczy:
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- GERLÓCZY: CAFÉ WITH ROOMS. There are 19 rooms above the café awaiting travellers seeking the authentic Gerlóczy feeling, including 15 standard rooms, two of which have balconies and four of which are attic rooms with exposed wooden beams. Rich interiors oozing turn-of-the-century atmosphere with modern touches. If you stay here, you'll be part of the vibrant life of a downtown café. Café Gerlóczy was chosen "The Best Café" in Budapest. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Hotels.com, Priceline and Hotel.de so you can book your Gerloczy Rooms de Lux reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gerloczy Rooms De Lux Hotel Budapest
- Gerloczy Rooms De Lux Budapest