“Great hosts, nice apartment (loud nightlife)”
Review of BudaBaB

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Budapest
BudaBaB
Ranked #13 of 190 Budapest B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I had a great stay with Ryan and Ron. They are very knowledgeable about Budapest, its sights, its haunts and its lesser-known spots. They are also welcoming hosts and made me feel at home in their place. The apartment is very nice and gives the traveller a view into what a typical Budapest building of that era looks like – something you’ll never get with a hotel!

The apartment is conveniently located – very short walk to the metro or to trams, and a short walk from the restaurants and cafes of Ferenc Liszt Tér, as well as many of the ruin pubs. For those looking to see any of the Jewish Quarter, this place is a very short walk from everything.

The only downside: the apartment is on a popular nightlife street and there was a decent amount of street noise at night. This is probably more of a problem in hot weather when keeping the windows open seems a good idea. If the windows and shutters are closed, the noise vanishes. So, in hot weather, bring earplugs. But this was a minor concern that paled in comparison to all the positives.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
ron8317, Owner at BudaBaB, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Thanks very much, Ian, for your generous review. We enjoyed your time with us, and the sharing of your experiences here. Our proximity to so much history is a true bonus. You also reminded us of time spent in your great City by the Bay!

Reviewed June 2, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for three days and had a wonderful experience. Ron was truly a perfect host. He and Ryan were great and made sure we had everything we needed. Ron sat down with us every morning and helped us map out our day, giving us great insight along the way. Then, at night, he and Ryan were always so kind and wanted to know how our day was. It was our first time in Budapest and they helped make it great. Great tips and recommended restaurants. It's in a nice location and only a block from the metro. It's also close to a number of great places to eat.

The place was truly great. Don't worry about staying in their "home," as they make it feel like home to you as well. If anything, you know they take wonderful care of it! We had the large room, and it was fantastic. Very big and very clean. Don't worry about sharing the bathroom either. We were there with Ron and Ryan and another couple girls and we never had a problem with the bathroom. Anytime we needed it, it was open. (If you stay in the large room, it's exclusively yours at night, as the other guests and Ron and Ryan use the hall bath).

The guys went out of their way to make us feel at home and feel special. I would not stay anywhere else in Budapest. I cannot sing their praises enough. If you're in Budapest, you need to trust me and stay here. I promise you won't regret it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
ron8317, Owner at BudaBaB, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Dear dgray2001, what a generous review! You gave us a delicious taste of true Southern graciousness, for which we are very grateful. Your daily sharing of your unique takes about Budapest were always interesting for us. We benefit from guest feedback like yours. So thank you very much for your kind words. We hope all your future adventures are full of daily surprises. Happy trails to you!

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I was a bit anxious about sharing someone's home, as I am used to renting apartments and/or staying at hotels when I travel. After staying at Ron and Ryans' wonderful place for two nights, I am kicking myself for not trying similar arrangements like this previously. Having said that, however, it is extremely unlikely that I, or you, would be fortunate enough to find such gracious, intelligent and interesting hosts elsewhere.

The location is great. On this, my first but certainly not last visit to Budapest, I was very taken by the neighborhood (and the city as a whole) and didn't realize and appreciate at first what a perfect location it is for exploring the city and seeing all of the sites visitors will want to see. The cost was literally a fraction of what I would have paid at a hotel, and I would never have had the pleasure of meeting Ryan and Ron.

While I am not a big breakfast eater, the food and coffee were great and I very much enjoyed the conversation with both hosts and the visitors staying in the other available room. Planning what to do and see, discussing the previous day, comparing notes and getting Ryan and Rons' advice was a perfect start to each day.

My room was very comfortable. The shower was glorious and the shared aspect of it proved to be no problem at all, especially since I had my own separate half-bath (sink and toilet), so I really only needed that bathroom for a daily shower.

I know it will seem a bit trite but this stay is what I will remember most about my visit to this energetic and beautiful city. It is rare, if not unique in my travels, that I can honestly say that.

Thanks, Ryan and Ron. I heartily recommend a visit with them to enhance your stay in Budapest, and to free up some extra cash for all this vibrant city has to offer.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank John S
ron8317, Owner at BudaBaB, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Wowee, PeripaticJohnR! Great to hear from you... and thanks heaps for your gracious feedback. We certainly enjoyed sharing travel adventures with you as well. Here's hoping your Scottish "peripateting" has gone well, and that you're safely on your way to many more days of good vibrations with Mother Earth and her earthlings. Happy Trails!

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Ron and Ryan make BudaBab a really special place. Both are Americans, Iowa and New Jersey, but have lived in Budapest for eleven years. As noted in other reviews, Ryan wrote the 2010 Frommer guidebook on Budapest. They know Budapest! More than that, they have travelled the world and are engaging conversationalists. It is fun just to get to know them. They offer good counsel on all aspects of the city and will point you in the direction of the most interesting sites and the best restaurants.
BudaBab is very small, with only two rooms available to guests. Shower facilities are shared. The exterior neighborhood appears a little seedy, but seems safe if, at times, a little noisy. Breakfast is provided and is a good time to visit with Ron about plans for the day.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
ron8317, Owner at BudaBaB, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Thank you, Vance99Tulsa, for your kind words. We certainly enjoyed your company and wish you many more fruitful adventures. We are also grateful for the many meaningful conversations and sharing of life events. Nicaragua contacts have been made, and we are excited and thankful for that connection. Happy trails to you!

Reviewed May 19, 2013

I had two hosts, expatriates from the United States.   Both are college professors (one retired) and Ryan is the author of the Frommer's  Budapest  book. They were attentive.   Talk about having a source of information.   They have eaten at every restaurant, visited every site, and done just about everything you can do in Budapest.   You get to stay where the locals live. Great wifi connection.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
ron8317, Owner at BudaBaB, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Erick, thank you very much for your kind words. We certainly enjoyed your visit. You certainly set a record for the number of activities you loaded into 3 days! Your appreciation of the many great attributes and events in Budapest was clear. Happy trails as you take on many other journeys here in Europe.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

What a find this place was! To have 2 English speaking hosts who were so eager to share their vast knowledge of Budapest was wonderful. They recommended places to go, restaurants to visit, made reservations for us and generally went out of their way to make our visit easier and more enjoyable. Their apartment is comfortable and very clean. I would recommend earplugs for the street noise at night if you are, as I am, a light sleeper but other than that the beds were very comfortable and (because I had earplugs) we slept well. Very well located with many restaurants and transportation within walking distance. Thanks Ron and Ryan!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
ron8317, Owner at BudaBaB, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

We were so pleased to have you as our guests. Your enthusiasm about your adventures here was wonderful to hear. Thank you for your kind words and support. We certainly enjoyed you all, but we need to send a very special hug to you, Emily... you won our hearts and we miss you. Happy trails to all of you!

Reviewed September 21, 2012

I found this place on Frommers and it was the highest rated B&B. It is a private three bedroom apartment owned by two university professors who are great hosts and American expatriates.
We booked the large master bedroom which has its own renovated bathroom and shower. The owners are very proud of their place and most eager to please.
The apartment is ideally located, less than two blocks from the Metro, trams and buses to the Castle District, the Danube, and within walking distance to the old Jewish Quarter.
This place is a find. You can email Ryan or Ron at www.budabab.com. They will respond within 24 hours.

Room Tip: Best deal and a great B&B