“BEDBUGS BEWARE!!”
Review of BudaBaB

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Budapest
BudaBaB
Ranked #19 of 196 Budapest B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 20, 2012

BED BUGS!!!!!!...........BED BUGS!!!!!!.............BED BUGS!!!!!!!

The room we stayed in had BED BUGS. I woke up every day with what I thought was mosquitto or spider bites all over my back, the last day we saw a reddish brown bug on the frame of the bed. Not sure what it was I did a quick search on the internet for "reddish brown bug on bed" and yup, it was a BED BUG.

We mentioned this to owner and he tried to tell me It was just a beetle. This was not a beetle, it was a BED BUG. It looked exactly like the photos on the internet.

He was smug and dismissive. He offered to give us a 15% discount for our stay, We were not interested in any discount and just wanted to get out of there as quick as possible.

Now we are in the process of fumigating our luggage in the hopes we dont bring these bugs into our home. God knows how much this will cost us.

DO NOT STAY HERE, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED THIS PLACE HAS BED BUGS!!!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dicit_discipulo
ron8317, Owner at BudaBaB, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2012

dicit_discipulo, I admire your Latin name "the disciple speaks". However, I fear you have spoken in error or perhaps you reviewed the wrong facility. Perhaps another guesthouse has a similar name. Since I live here in our B & B, I would surely notice any bed bug problem, and swiftly solve it. Of course Mother Nature's creatures challenge all of us... we have fruit fly squadrons at time, armies of winter ants, and the rare mosquito, but roaches and bed bugs do not like us and have never visited. I assure any future guests that we are committed to providing safe, sanitary, and pleasant conditions in our small 2 room residence. Please check the many other positive reviews on TA and our website.

Reviewed May 17, 2012

The Accommodations: Like other guests, I was worried about sharing a bathroom with the hosts. However, we never crossed paths and the bathroom was immaculate and updated. And my husband and I are very picky about cleanliness. There are nice windows in the bathroom along with high ceilings, which made it nice and airy in there. The flat itself is in a beautiful traditional building with a really cool court yard. When we were there, there was work being done on the courtyard, and I have no doubt it will be more beautiful when completed.

The Location: Budabab is located right near the trolleys and subway. We easily found the place (after watching the video on the website!) and took public transportation there. We travelled all over the city, and it was always easy to get places from Budabab.

The Hosts: What can be said that hasn't already been said? They are wonderful, extremely informative, and have a passion for Budapest. We had nice chats over tea and breakfast about our travels and about the city. They created a personalized map for us and gave great food and sight-seeing recommendations.

Without a doubt I would stay here again and have already recommended this place to several friends. Thank you for a wonderful stay, gentlemen!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cristina B
ron8317, Owner at BudaBaB, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2012

You are most gracious to send such a thoughtful and informative review. We are so pleased that your stay was comfortable and enjoyable. We should consider hiring you for public relations! As other future guests benefit from your response, we note that the other small room guests (we are small as you can see from our website) use the half bath during the night, and we all share the master bathroom for showers during the daytime. Again, We are so happy you chose us, and we thank you for the recommendation to others. Happy Trails!

Reviewed May 3, 2012

Before I start my review, I feel like I should tell you a little about us. We are 49 years old and we were traveling with our 2-year-old grandson. I have NEVER stayed in a hostel. I have only stayed in a B&B once and I swore I would never, ever again stay in a place where I did not have my own bathroom. Never, Ever! We love to travel, and we travel quite a bit and “my” part of the trip is to research and find interesting places to stay (which all include our own bathroom). When we were in Edinburgh, we stayed at the University of Edinburgh (did you know they rent out the dorm rooms for cheap during school breaks?). When we were in Stavanger, Norway I rented us a room at the hospital hotel (did you know you can do that?). I look for unusual (if possible), cheap places (with their own bathroom).

We were searching for a place stay in Budapest and I came across a site that talked about BudaBaB. I was really intrigued about staying at a place where the author had written the Frommer’s Guide for Budapest. The part that kept me from booking it right away was that it was a B&B and we would have to share a bathroom. UGH! I kept going back and forth about if I would be willing to do this, in order to stay with an “expert” in Budapest. Finally, I booked the large room which had a bed and a sofa sleeper. Even then, I kept looking and looking to see if the smaller room was going to be rented. Thankfully, it was not so I was thrilled to be arriving.

We were actually staying here as the end leg of our vacation. We had spent a week in Vienna and took the train to Budapest. We arrived and had some worries about trying to get the taxi to the right place so we decided to walk. The directions were perfect and we would have had not much trouble, except we had 3 large suitcases, a stroller, 3 carry-ons and a 2-year-old. We only had problems crossing the first main street, trying to get everything across, then the wonderful Hungarian people saw our problems and there was always someone (usually a little old man or woman) that helped us cross the streets.

Ron and Ryan have a wonderful little video that tells you how to find their apartment once you get to their street (I highly recommend that you watch it) so it was easy. We found the right buzzer, and were immediately buzzed in. Once we got into the building we walked down a long, dark corridor and then up a few steps to a very small elevator. We had way to much stuff to fit, so our grandson and I went up with some of the luggage. Ron was waiting for us at the top when we stepped off and then we waited for my husband and the rest of the luggage to arrive.
We arrived at our B&B and I was VERY pleasantly surprised. I was afraid that it would be dark, but the rooms were large, airy, and clean with very bright colors (LOVED the mural in the kitchen!). We were immediately offered tea or refreshments and after the walk we were certainly ready for something! Then we sat down and chatted and got settled. Ryan and Ron were very courteous, helpful and a teeny bit scared (they didn’t say so but I could see it in their eyes!) as they had never had a 2-year-old stay there before. And of course, I was petrified. Scared to death that our wonderful, sweet grandson would pick up the wrong thing, break something …. you know … typical toddler things.

We spent about an hour at the B&B getting the lay of the land and preparing to head out for a little exploration. Before we left, Ron and Ryan asked what time we wanted breakfast and what we would like to eat. I told them we wanted whatever a typical Hungarian breakfast would be. They were concerned about our grandson and I told them we had his favorite cereal so no need to worry about him. Then we headed out, with a map and VERY good directions on where to go, where to eat. They told us they would be out for the night, but we had their cell phone number if we needed anything. Also, we were free to hook up our hard drive to their TV so our grandson could watch Blue’s Clues (part of his night time routine). After a long wonderful day, we headed back to the B&B absolutely tuckered.

Our room was clean and eclectic. It was perfectly laid out with a very comfortable bed and a very comfortable sofa sleeper. There were lots of books to read if we had trouble sleeping, and a basket full of toothbrushes, razors, this and that in case we had forgotten anything. We fell into bed and had no problems sleeping through the night. When we woke up and went into the kitchen, they had a pot of coffee ready for me! And we had fresh fruit, bread, yogurts, meats, cheeses. Typical European breakfast.

We stayed here for 5 nights and I told them when we left, if they could guarantee me that all B&B’s were like this, then I would be very happy to stay in one again. And I’m very happy to report, that sharing a bathroom was not as big of a problem as it had been the last time we stayed at a B&B. And as an added bonus, Ryan autographed my Frommer’s Budapest Guide for me.

They bought crayons, bread shaped like a rabbit, and a toy zebra for our grandson. They also found a wooden puzzle for him to play with. They told us about the Zoo, the Circus … all the things that he would love. AND they had FREE wireless internet so our grandson could say goodnight to his mommy and daddy. On the evenings that we were back in time for our grandson’s normal bedtime of 8, they would watch TV with headphones on so the sound wouldn’t keep him awake. They allowed us to do laundry there and when our taxi came at 4:30 in the morning to pick us up, they had coffee waiting for us before we left. We came as strangers, but when we left, I felt that we had made friends. And I really hope that one day, they will come and visit us in Norway. We will be back!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank natowife
ron8317, Owner at BudaBaB, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2012

Wow, natowife! We were so pleased to read your swell and elegant, yup, a 'swellegant' story about your visit with us. And we're happy to be part of your 'conversion' to B & B travel, even tho you had to share the master bath... but only in the daytime; during the night, the 2nd guestroom uses our half bath. We certainly enjoyed and were impressed with your little guy, thanks to your great grandparenting! You are so suited to your first name, and your husband has a good one too. Happy Trails to you- enjoy your wondrous Norway.

Reviewed May 2, 2012

We have stayed with Ron and Ryan more than once and would not hesitate to stay there again.
The value from amenities, location, and hospitality just cannot be matched in our opinion. We have no hesitation about recommending BudaBaB to our friends and family; we'd have peace of mind that they'd be in good hands.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank B_and_W_NorthGA
ron8317, Owner at BudaBaB, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2012

Thanks so much for your kind review. We remember you fondly and look forward to hosting you again... or your friends or family.

Reviewed May 2, 2012

I stayed at BudaBaB this past December/early January and it was an absolute haven. While there I toured Budapest, taking in the famous baths and the Chain Bridge on New Year's Eve. But more importantly I enjoyed the beautiful turquoise guest room to write poetry. The all-round environment was safe (I am a single woman and felt quite fine there, both inside the house and going solo to and from), clean, authentic and lovely. The best of both worlds: knowing that one is away from home but at the same time feeling wonderfully at home. I recommend this travel experience for anyone, but particularly for the introspective adventure seeker. This is exactly what you need.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Karla K
ron8317, Owner at BudaBaB, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2012

Your so kind and generous words, Ms Poet, are a salve to our eyes and a sweet melody to our ears. We hear your voice in your warm words.Thank you so much for your review. We so wish we will one day see you again at our door. All the best in your inner and outer journeys in the future.

Reviewed April 21, 2012

For the most part it was ok. I only had a problem with the cleanliness of the kitchen,bathroom and my bedding. The kitchen smelt like old food. I think I saw a roach but I am not 100% sure if it was. The bathroom was not well kept, it looked worn out and grimey. I never felt that good while using it. The most upsetting was the bedding. My sheets had little black specks all over so I am guessing it might have not been changed between guests. I also woke up in the morning with a rash from the bed all over my legs and arms. The rest of my experience at this place was ok. I don't think I would stay here again if I had a choice and I'm not so sure I would recommend this to a friend either.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
ron8317, Owner at BudaBaB, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2012

As live-in owner, I'll admit that an annual caravan of water ants come out of the winter cold, and in the summer, a small squadron of fruit flies and one or two mosquitoes (we're lucky!) buzz through, but cockroaches? They and mice and other vermin just won't climb the stairs, and are frightened of the elevator. Future guests, you can be assured of clean linens and fresh food, as well as a safe and pleasant stay in our bright and airy B & B. You can check many positive reviews here on TripAdvisor or on our website. Happy travels!

Reviewed April 7, 2012

I don't usually write reviews online, I mostly read them. But this time I decided to write one.
I picked te Buda Bab BnB after seeing all of the positive reviews on T.A.. I stay in mostly BnBs as I am a budget traveller and also like meeting new people with local knowledge.

Upon arrival I was greeted by the owners and found them to be mostly pleasant and knowledgeable about Budapest. The BnB is not too hard to find and the location is in an OK part of the city, the building is a bit run down.

However cleanliness of the BnB itself was an issue. I don't know weather their standards have started slipping, or if I just had bad luck, but I thought the place unsanitary. The bathroom was not as clean as I expected, I found body hairs on the soap dish and there was a faint smell of urine. The bedsheets didn't seem all that clean either, and were itchy. The sofas in the common room also smelled funky, just smelled musty like nothing ever gets properly cleaned/dusted.

That said the owners are personable and the location is OK, so if cleanliness is not a top priority for you, then I guess go for it.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Travel B
BudaBaB, Owner at BudaBaB, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2012

¬As a live-in owner of BudaBaB bed and breakfast, I was very surprised to read this review by Travel B. I’m very sorry his or her experience was unpleasant. I am puzzled because we had only 2 solo guests that month- one from the USA and the other from Hungary, while Travel B lists himself as solo and UK as home. We have only two guest rooms, which are cleaned top to bottom after each guest. Our remodeled bathrooms are cleaned with strong agents, including vinegar or bleach, on tile and glass; guests have a choice of liquid soaps and shampoos located next to the bar soap mentioned. Nubby jersey material contoured sheets are common here, and they and the duvet (instead of a top sheet) are thoroughly laundered for each guest. In our entire seven year history of hospitality, we have never received the charge of being “unsanitary”. In fact, we have had physician guests and parents with small children who have complimented us on our cleanliness. Future guests can be assured that we take security, sanitation, and satisfaction seriously… and we will strive to help you enjoy your visit to our fine city.