“One word: amazing!”
Review of Danube Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Budapest
Danube Guest House
Ranked #37 of 190 Budapest B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 27, 2009

I read about the Danube Guest House on tripadvisor and was a little apprehensive about believing all the numerous positive reviews. In the end, I was left with choosing between two B&B options in Budapest and I opted for the Danube Guest House simply because everyone was so excited about how nice the hosts are. It was our first trip outside our country so I thought having someone willing to answer some of our touristy questions was essential. Bob and Zoltan’s friendly and helpful nature is always mentioned first and most people also talked about the good location and the fact that you get your money’s worth. Could anything really be this good? Well, let me assure you: it certainly is!
As everyone has excitedly stated, Bob and Zoltan are absolutely wonderful! They greet guests by offering a cup of tea/coffee, they hand you a map and guides containing some of the tourist attractions in Budapest and they make sure to show you on the map which places are best for everything you could be interested in: shopping, restaurants, places that are worth seeing, etc.
Our room (room 4) was really nice and bright and very tastefully decorated. We had two huge windows that overlooked the street and the restaurant in front of the building so we drew the blinds up when we came back from a busy day in the city so we could enjoy watching the traffic while in bed when we felt like it.
In the presentation on their website, they talk about their comfortable beds, sheets, comforters and so on – I thought it was just the way businesses usually try to sell themselves, but, let me tell you, nothing felt more divine than letting my head sink into that fluffy pillow when I got to my room in the evening.
The rooms are cleaned and the beds are made every day after you leave as the hosts know if you’re coming back shortly or not (unlike in hotels where the cleaning lady sometimes has to do her job when you want to be in the room). When you check-in, you will be pleasantly greeted by plenty of clean towels, as well as a bunch of postcards of Budapest you can send to your loved ones back home.
You have an LCD TV and wireless Internet in your room, however, if you didn’t bring your laptop, you can always use the computer in the hall.
If you’re planning to go to the thermal baths, they’ll offer you beach towels and if it’s raining, there are plenty of umbrellas in the hall which you can use. They really did think of everything!
The place is near the subway station (Astoria) and the bus station, but you’re just within walking distance of the city center, so you can just go to all the main places of interest on foot.
If your train/plane, etc. leaves later than your check-out time, you can also leave your bags at their place so that you can still have a few more hours to enjoy the city.
Breakfast is served in a café nearby where you can have three items each morning: your choice of juice, one type of coffee (cappuccino, café latte, coffee) or tea and one type of pastry.
Bob and Zoltan are always there to answer all of your questions about anything you might want to know and I am delighted by the choice I made and would return there in a heartbeat if I had the opportunity to visit Budapest again. Try the Danube Guest House and you won’t regret it!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank DarkWidow

Reviewed June 14, 2009

If you are looking for a great location, value for money and personable service then this is the place to stay in Budapest. The Danube Guest House is located on the Pest side of the city, a 10 minute walk from the Vaci Utca and the banks of the Danube itself. Situated on the first floor of an apartment block the guest house is ideal for city breakers who want less of that corporate hotel experience and more of something a little different.

On arrival Zoltan and Bob, your hosts, will ensure that you are orientated and they’ll have welcome suggestions for the sights to see and places to go in the city, the kind of tips that you wouldn’t pick up from a guide book. Bob and Zoltan are gracious and welcoming hosts and they proudly run a comfortable, spotlessly clean guesthouse where you are made to feel like it’s a home away from home.

My friend and I stayed in two of the 3 single rooms available at the guesthouse. Both were en suite and as single rooms no bigger than we expected, with functional and tasteful decor and the basics of tv, hairdryer, en-suite. The guest house is wifi enabled and high speed internet access is available for those who need it. Hot beverages and juices are offered and available at any time of the day and breakfast in the morning is a choice of fresh pastries, cereal and fruit.

Budapest is a beautiful city and I would definitely recommend and stay at the Danube Guest House again should I return to Budapest as it made my break there all the better!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank fiontra
Reviewed June 8, 2009

This is truly a guest house, as the name implies. We liked the location for sightseeing and the owners were very nice and very helpful. The room was a good size and the only one in our five city trip that included washcloths with the towels. We appreciated that. Breakfast was included with juice, water, fruit, coffee and tea available all day. Breakfast included the above, as well as yogurt, cereal and warm pastries. A computer was available 24 hrs. for guests. What we would have appreciated would have been a window to the outside. Our only window fronted the kitchen of this guesthouse. The owners live in the guesthouse and all guests enter a door through the kitchen. Amazingly, this was not really a problem with noise, but gave one a sense of reduced privacy with the window open for ventilation. It turned out not to be a problem, but it could have been. I think the owners were cautious and if any problem arose, they would have taken care of it. Even with the above, I would stay here again. It was friendly.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 6, 2009

I found the guest house on this website back in the Autumn of last year. I was very pleased with the accommodation, especially the welcome from the hosts and the location, which is very handy for the metro, but also just for walking around the lovely city. We had a truly wonderful time. We stayed in the small double shown in the picture above which was, I think, the only double with an outside window. It was very nicely decorated.

However, there were two points, which I almost feel bad about bringing up when we enjoyed our stay so much. But I think I should explain why I'm not giving the guest house 5 stars. Firstly, the room floor was not clean and was covered in long hairs that stuck to everything. Second, the duvet was not a full sized double so didn't go over two people properly and some of the slats had fallen out of the bed base so it was very saggy (we put them back in ourselves and then it was fine). I am sure these issues were just a glitch as no-one else seems to have had any problems. I'm also sure that Bob would have fixed them straight away if we'd asked, but we liked him too much to complain!

Whilst you can get really posh hotels in Budapest there don't seem to be many of this standard, so the guesthouse really fits a requirement.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 6, 2009

The location is perfect--good transport links, easy walking access to the sites in Pest and Buda, and plenty of interesting dining options around. Probably also the best deal of the B&Bs. The rooms are brand new with en-suite bathrooms. The hosts are willing to help and advise on any aspect of the trip.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed June 2, 2009

Easily one of the best places I have stayed in. Such considerate hosts! What makes this guest house special are the little things, such as the filtered water available in jugs stored in the fridge, which shows a real concern for guests. The room was clean, modern and very homely. Breakfast was fine, with cereals and fruits available, along with a pastry of choice. In addition the location is excellent, though I had a hard time trying to find the place as it's on a long road. Just remember it's very near to the synagogue!

Likes
Friendly
Free internet
Jugs of filtered water – genius!

Dislikes
Nothing I can think of!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed May 28, 2009

An absolutely delightful B&B. Don't let the exterior influence our opinion. The inside has been freshly renovated - extremely clean, bright & cheery. Great place for single/solo travelers - good single rooms and ideal place to meet other travelers. Zoltan & Bob went out of their way to make sure we made the most of our 3 days in Budapest. They recommended the best hop-on-off bus (5,000) which included 2 free cruises on the Danube, lent us towels for the baths, recommended great local restaurants and directed us to the local market to buy paprika. It is within easy walking distance the major sites, trams, subway and hydrofoil dock. Free internet terminal was also appreciated. We would definitely stay here again and recommend to friends. Try the Osteria Restaurant across the street and Fatal for great local cabbage rolls (one serving will fill two of you) . Thanks Bob & Zoltan. Will definitely stay when we return to cycle and hear the philharmonic at the Opera House. Just too much to do in three days and can't say enough about this guest house. Pamela

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple