See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Zoltan and Bob were perfect hosts for my brief stay in Budapest. They gave me an immediate orientation as soon as I checked in, letting me know what to see and their recommendations for restaurants. They helped me to research some tourist sites and booked an early-morning taxi for me for my flight out of Budapest. It was nice to know they were always available for whatever I needed. You really feel like you’re a guest in their home. I was expecting the room to be tiny but it was quite spacious, clean and well-appointed. I enjoyed the little extras like the English books and magazines, and the container they kept filled with drinking water. There is WiFi available in the room or you can just use the Mac down the hall. Very convenient. The guest house is located on the second floor of an old historic building that looks positively Kafkaesque with its grand old iron elevator and sweeping staircase. It is located a block from the Synagogue, and is within walking distance of the main sights. If you’re too tired to walk, Astoria metro station is a few minutes’ walk away. Breakfast is served around the corner at the Bocadillo Café. You can get ham or bacon with eggs or an egg sandwich and coffee. It’s small but it comes with the price of the room which is a great value. I would absolutely stay at the Danube Guest House again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for two nights. A short stay, but nevertheless, Bob and Zoltan gave us a very nice welcome, pointed out some very interesting things to do, and gave us some adresses to eat and go out (and very trustworthy: it was amazing :-) !!). The rooms are clean, simply but well decorated... Located in a nice area, in a nice building by the way... Breakfast is not really great but still okay (at home i'm used to having a big breakfast, so I ordered some extras for a small extra price, which was no problem of course), in a nice bar a short walk from the hotel.
Overall, great place, no complains...

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Me and hubbie have just returned from Budapest having stayed at the Danube Guest House for 4 nights. This guest house is owned by Zoltan and Bob, two of the most helpful, knowledgeable and friendly people you could ever wish to meet, Nothing was too much trouble for them and they were available at all times should you need anything. The guesthouse is exactly as seen on their website. The rooms are very tastefully decorated and to a high standard. The bed was the most comfortable bed we have ever slept in, Breakfast is offered at the Bocadillo Cafe which is just around the corner. You can have the choice of a sandwich or bacon and eggs and a hot drink. We found this more than enough. Try the hot chocolate - it is to die for!

You have the use of the guesthouse internet access and wifi free at anytime.

The Danube is situated very close to all amenities and Astoria metro just around the corner. Although it very busy and noisy outside when we came back to the guesthouse the room we had was so peacefull and quiet - which was lovely.

We thoroughly recommend the Danube Guest House and would definately return.

Excellent value for money and excellent hosts.

Thank you Zoltan and Bob.

Room Tip: We had room number 2. Great room
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank doncaster10
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I stayed here over Thanksgiving 2012, and I came across this place on the internet. After communicating with the establishment, I decided it was a much better choice for me. The owners (Bob and Zoltan) are warm and resourceful. Not only they gave me the origination after I check in, but also provided additional information that I needed (i.e. finding the office for train ticket sales).

The guest house is located in a beautiful historic building, and the exterior is gorgeous. Inside the guest house if full of modern amenities, stand in shower, towel warmer, secure room (with lock inside via a key). I stayed in a single room with a small bed, and it was sufficient. They provided me a kettle as I like to make tea from time to time.

Guest house also offers a shared fridge to use for food storage. The place is a bit hard to find, but once there, it’s pretty easy to get around. 5 min walk to public transit (bus, subway and tram), and plenty of eateries around. It is two subway stops away from the main station (where you can take a bus to go up to Buda Castel area). Easy bus ride to the Ruda Bath for the best Turkish Bath in Budapest.

Guest house provides breakfast in a nearby cafe (included in the price of the room) which is a nice touch. You have a choice of sandwich or eggs with ham with coffee or tea. Free Internet connection all over the facility, and you can elect to pay in either USD, Euro or local currency.

It's quite a bargain compare to hotels, and an inexpensive alternatives to regular hotels. I would stay here again next time when I visit Budapest.

Room Tip: * Spend the extra to get a double bed even for solo traveler.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank boscommon
Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights for new years
Fantastic place, right in.the middle of.action next to synagogue
Good rooms - well decorated
Price is decent for Budapest
The owner/staff friendly and quite helpful
They hook u up with good deals for cruises and baths and give you good advice
Just two complaints
1. I had a friend stay with me for 1 night cause of a flight mishap - and they charged.me 25 E for that and no features for that - no comforter/bed
Then.why charge that money ?
2. The breakfast - both in. House one on.new years day and the one at bocadillo.cafe don't even come.close to what other bed and breakfasts offer during my stay in central Europe around the same time

Other than that, no complaints and I don't think you can go wrong with this nice place

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank ThiaTravelvast
zoliBudapest, Owner at Danube Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Thanks for your kind review. Sorry you were not 100% satisfied. Most people are happy with the breakfast. We try to do the best we can afford while keeping our room rates low.
As stated on or rates page a doube room is for a maximum of 2 persons. There is one bed in each room and there are no extra beds.
When you asked if a third person could stay in your room for one night we made an exception for 25 euro which you agreed to. The additional charge to cover hot water, towels, internet access and breakfast (bought in advance) for the third person.
We do not have extra comfortors since we do not have extra beds but there are plenty of extra blankets and pillows. Another room had become available by the time you arrived but you declined to take it.