WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“Historic beauty in the heart of Budapest” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Danube Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Budapest
Danube Guest House
Ranked #23 of 186 Budapest B&B and Inns
Boston, MA
“Historic beauty in the heart of Budapest”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

I stayed here over Thanksgiving 2012, and I came across this place on the internet. After communicating with the establishment, I decided it was a much better choice for me. The owners (Bob and Zoltan) are warm and resourceful. Not only they gave me the origination after I check in, but also provided additional information that I needed (i.e. finding the office for train ticket sales).

The guest house is located in a beautiful historic building, and the exterior is gorgeous. Inside the guest house if full of modern amenities, stand in shower, towel warmer, secure room (with lock inside via a key). I stayed in a single room with a small bed, and it was sufficient. They provided me a kettle as I like to make tea from time to time.

Guest house also offers a shared fridge to use for food storage. The place is a bit hard to find, but once there, it’s pretty easy to get around. 5 min walk to public transit (bus, subway and tram), and plenty of eateries around. It is two subway stops away from the main station (where you can take a bus to go up to Buda Castel area). Easy bus ride to the Ruda Bath for the best Turkish Bath in Budapest.

Guest house provides breakfast in a nearby cafe (included in the price of the room) which is a nice touch. You have a choice of sandwich or eggs with ham with coffee or tea. Free Internet connection all over the facility, and you can elect to pay in either USD, Euro or local currency.

It's quite a bargain compare to hotels, and an inexpensive alternatives to regular hotels. I would stay here again next time when I visit Budapest.

Room Tip: * Spend the extra to get a double bed even for solo traveler.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank boscommon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights for new years
Fantastic place, right in.the middle of.action next to synagogue
Good rooms - well decorated
Price is decent for Budapest
The owner/staff friendly and quite helpful
They hook u up with good deals for cruises and baths and give you good advice
Just two complaints
1. I had a friend stay with me for 1 night cause of a flight mishap - and they charged.me 25 E for that and no features for that - no comforter/bed
Then.why charge that money ?
2. The breakfast - both in. House one on.new years day and the one at bocadillo.cafe don't even come.close to what other bed and breakfasts offer during my stay in central Europe around the same time

Other than that, no complaints and I don't think you can go wrong with this nice place

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank ThiaTravelvast
zoliBudapest, Owner at Danube Guest House, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Thanks for your kind review. Sorry you were not 100% satisfied. Most people are happy with the breakfast. We try to do the best we can afford while keeping our room rates low.
As stated on or rates page a doube room is for a maximum of 2 persons. There is one bed in each room and there are no extra beds.
When you asked if a third person could stay in your room for one night we made an exception for 25 euro which you agreed to. The additional charge to cover hot water, towels, internet access and breakfast (bought in advance) for the third person.
We do not have extra comfortors since we do not have extra beds but there are plenty of extra blankets and pillows. Another room had become available by the time you arrived but you declined to take it.
Chatham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

Though The Danube Guest House was a bit tricky to find at night (the doorway/sign is set in), but once we found it, we were so glad we did! Just be sure to have the street address - it is part of an apartment building - you ring the buzzer and they will come down to let you in the first time. After that you are given an entrance code to get inside. Zoltan and Bob are the most hospitable hosts offering suggestions, tips, answers to questions, etc. as they are on-site/available when you need them! (Bob even helped us buy opera tickets online and printed them out for us! What service! and with a smile!) They don't have breakfast there, but provide breakfast vouchers to a small, well-run, near-by cafe which you just use when on your way for the day. Plus there are tram and metro stops right there making it all very convenient. The rooms are clean and varied in size and priced accordingly, so you can choose the one that fits your budget and needs; the best prices we saw in all of Europe! They are all on the one floor, so no stairs to climb other than getting from the building lobby to the antique elevator (fun and working!) The area has some great restaurants and clubs. We enjoyed it all so much our original reservation for 3 nights turned into 5! So, what are you waiting for - Budapest was our favorite city of our month-long European trip and you won't find a better accommodation anywhere!

Room Tip: We stayed in two different rooms: the first room right (#1) off the entry was large; the second roo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mjfmeier
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

I stayed for four nights at Danube Guest House and loved it. I had requested a single room -- which was small, but was well equipped with everything I needed, plus I was only there to sleep -- at 39 Euros it was great! If you want a larger room -- ask for a double room. All rooms are nicely decorated, neat and clean. I even had a duvet while I was there. Bob and Zoltan were the best hosts that I had on my visit to Eastern Europe over three and half weeks. They gave me a warm welcome and offered tips on what to see, where to eat and some little "gems" nearby. This guest house is centrally located, with the little restaurant where you have breakfast right around the corner -- again with welcoming, lovely staff and a good choice of breakfasts including bacon and eggs with toast, breakfast sandwiches, or a croissant if you want to eat light -- all choices included coffee or tea.

While there, every evening, Bob would make me tea while I accessed my e-mail messages. I had many lovely conversations with Bob and Zoltan while I was there. The last day there, I had a small problem with my next flight out of Budapest -- when I went to confirm my flight, my airline could not find it! While on the phone with the airline, Bob stayed right by my side and assisted me to straighten things out, offering some great "tips" on how to deal with the airline rep. Bob and Zoltan are both well traveled..Thank-you Bob and Zoltan for a wonderful stay

Room Tip: Single rooms are small, but very well appointed. If you like more space, even if you're on your...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Elaineandree
Oakville, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed for three nights in October and were thrilled with our choice! Zoltan and Bob are so friendly and helpful - it made us feel like we were staying with family. They were so helpful with recommendations of things to do and see, and gave us the best restaurants to try for dinner! The location is wonderful and the rooms were beautiful! We will definitely stay here again if we return to Budapest!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank 80noodle80
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

We spent an excellent four days in Budapest recently and stayed at this hidden gem. We had looked at numerous places to stay but all had hidden taxes to add into the price or no breakfast or quite far out of the city and yet this was all in the price and we could also pay in Euros. Our double room was spacious with en suite facilities and all guests seemed to observe the quiet rule so we were not disturbed late at night. The hosts could not have been more helpful and their directions and restaurant recommendations were spot on. It is so central that we walked everywhere except to Heroes Square and the baths. The free wi fi was useful too to keep in contact at home and you could use their Internet keyboard for 30 minutes for free too. Would recommend this to other travellers and if we return would stay there again. Thank you for such a great time.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sheila S
blackpool
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

it was difficult to find in the first place, but once you are there, the location is great, breakfast is served in a cafe around the corner, sitting outside a street cafe people watch and taking breakfast is great. the room is tiny, but i was there for 8 hours a day to sleep only, so it was fine. the hosts are very nice, they made me a cup of tea every night before i go to my room, thank you. great value for money.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo